Mgmt keeping hours of service

8up

now that peak is behind us, i'd like to ask the mgmt group, mostly the onroad sups. how many of you maintain accurate hours of svc. logs? would you have followed the guidelines when you were out? how do you decide where to nudge and where to fudge? to get the job done with all the hours being worked. sound off. let's see what we got.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
now that peak is behind us, i'd like to ask the mgmt group, mostly the onroad sups. how many of you maintain accurate hours of svc. logs? would you have followed the guidelines when you were out? how do you decide where to nudge and where to fudge? to get the job done with all the hours being worked. sound off. let's see what we got.

It is the responsibility of management to keep hours of service logs?

raceanoncr

It is the responsibility of management to keep hours of service logs?

Knowing you, you' probably asked this facetiously, but I'll answer, "Yes".

The on-roads most definitely do have to keep hours logged, especially feeders. We had some (and, yes, we've gone over this year after year after year and will continue to do so until they get caught) that said they didn't have to. Some even going so far as to ride out on a lay-down (yes, we've had a couple) run with one driver and turn right around and ride back with another with no break in hours. Almost 24 hours on-duty.

DOT says you can't do that. Yes, it does say that in the green DOT book. Even manglers and supes have to abide by the law. Well, that is, until they get nabbed, right?

menotyou

bella amicizia
As far as I am concerned, if they want to call me 'dumb truck driver', that is what I shall be. Treat me with dignity and respect, and you will meet the real me.

over9five

Staff member
I think Hoax was asking if it was managements responsibility to keep HOS logs for their drivers.

​The OP I think was referring to management driving.

hypocrisy

Banned
Hoax, we are have electronic on board recorders, the IVIS system, so they have to keep records of that and report any violations. I run my own HOS log and know better than they do when I can't drive. They will have a driver sign a "big boy" sheet to note when he/she has to be off the clock when there are less than 14 available in a day.

I've often wanted to check if the on-roads use the IVIS or just ignore it when they work over peak. I suspect they do not follow the rules.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One could agree if one didn't work in a center that had a center manager removed from service, for him to only return as the on-car.
If they fudge, how do you beat the Diad logs?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Hoax, we are have electronic on board recorders, the IVIS system, so they have to keep records of that and report any violations. I run my own HOS log and know better than they do when I can't drive. They will have a driver sign a "big boy" sheet to note when he/she has to be off the clock when there are less than 14 available in a day.

I've often wanted to check if the on-roads use the IVIS or just ignore it when they work over peak. I suspect they do not follow the rules.

I like that crowbar, "big boy" sheet....sad but some people fail to do what you ask of them until the signature is put to paper. Not all mind you...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think Hoax was asking if it was managements responsibility to keep HOS logs for their drivers.

​The OP I think was referring to management driving.

You are right Ovah.

Now I understand the original post.

It is an ambiguous area since management works 24/7/365.

It would seem actual hours behind the wheel would be subject to HOS documentation.

raceanoncr

It would seem actual hours behind the wheel would be subject to HOS documentation.

It would seem but is not so.

Anytime ON-DUTY inside the cab is subject to HOS documentation.

Behind the wheel is documented as "On-duty-driving". Sitting in the jump seat is documented as "On-duty-not driving".

Still on-duty and to be logged as such and subject to the same HOS as the driver(s).

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would bet $100,000,000 those records are no kept by my management team. Just as the time their hands are spent touching packages is suppose to be recorded. Not!

raceanoncr

In addition, if the OP WAS talking about manglers keeping track of DRIVERS HOS, well, YES, they ARE supposed to keep track of drivers HOS.

Ultimately, it is always the drivers responsibility but manglers can get in deep trouble if an individual or many drivers violate in some way. Can result in fine for company, fine for driver, loads of paperwork (yeah, I wanna hear again how we're "going green") and more DOK questions to recite.

Now, how many drivers actually keep track of their hours? Ha. Very few. In feeders, you have the Elvis that you can refer to but we are also required to keep the little weekly recap on our person in case we are quick-quizzed by DOT. How many do? I found out that not many. Please do. It's for you own good.

Also, when grilled towards the end of the week when you are close on hours, you sit down for a look-see, invariably, there is always a discrepancy. And usually in the company's favor. Hmmm. How can that be? Keep very close tabs on your hours and week after week if you ARE drilled and you are always consistent, they may learn to readjust their calculations to be more in line with yours, because again, whose job is it to keep track of your hours?

And, yes, mentoyou, we HAVE asked mgt to produce their logs when on-road and they seem to always misplace those.

You.

hypocrisy

Banned
I like that crowbar, "big boy" sheet....sad but some people fail to do what you ask of them until the signature is put to paper. Not all mind you...

Well, it's treated more as a helpful reminder because in Feeders it can be easy to go over your hours because it just doesn't feel like you've worked that many. It seems to be more of a problem when they schedule someone on a M-friend shift that runs into Saturday morning, then they have an early Sunday start so there is no reset. I let it get away from me once and ever since then I religiously keep my hours on a spreadsheet in my smartphone.

I'm going to guess that most on road sups (in package centers) don't have a formal way of keeping track of their hours, though I sure they know how many they should be working. Since we don't punch into an actual time clock, it makes it tougher to keep track of the "official" hours. Rest assured I have driven after being at work for more than 14 hours. Is it wrong? Of course it is, but since there was no actual time that I punched in, I have continued to work. Typically it only will happen a couple of times a year, but I know it should NEVER happen. I know it is my responsibility, but I sometimes have a hard time just stopping when I still have 10 or 15 stops left. And it never will show because the part-timer that I have in the passenger seat didn't punch into the DIAD until I had already been at work for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. While I know that what I have done is wrong, I think it is even worse when we get in such a bind (weather, volume, disaster, etc) that we have to have the preload sup go out and inevitably a few of them will exceed 14 hours. And those guys have been up since God knows when. Anyhow, just thought I'd shed a little light on it from situations I have experienced.