Michigan UPSers Take Notice

iamupser

Grease Monkey
There is a bill trying to eliminate Michigan OSHA (MIOSHA). This will have terrible repercussions as the Federal OSHA would take over and as many of you know, I am quite critical of their own admitted inadequacy (I'm really sorry if you live in state under the federal jurisdiction).

Senator Mark Jansen (which happens to be the district where the Grand Rapids UPS hub is located :surprised:) is the 1 sponsoring this bill.

The Federal OSHA has severely outdated air contaminant laws & no meaningful ventilation language as MIOSHA does.

I have a link to the Good Senators FB page to leave him message of how WE feel about it!

Last edited:

brett636

Michigan is a state with severe economic problems and is one of the nations highest states in regards to unemployment. It sounds like to me they are trying to make the state more business friendly by eliminating bureaucracies that make operating a business expensive or impossible. It looks like the good senator is just trying to get more people jobs in your state and you oppose this? Incredible...

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Michigan is a state with severe economic problems and is one of the nations highest states in regards to unemployment. It sounds like to me they are trying to make the state more business friendly by eliminating bureaucracies that make operating a business expensive or impossible. It looks like the good senator is just trying to get more people jobs in your state and you oppose this? Incredible...

MIOSHA has rules regarding ventilation, ie 10 ppm max CO from a direct fired heater, 1 cfm/sq.ft for eliminating dangerous fumes. Federal OSHA has none of that. Besides MIOSHA gets dollars FROM the Federal OSHA. MIOSHA is just operated BETTER than the Federal OSHA.

The fact you think we should suck down more harmful chemicals IS incredible to me.

brett636

If you think your job is threatening your health then quit. Its not that complex. Besides, is there not a mention in our own national master agreement about allowing for proper ventilation of harmful fumes from vehicles and other sources? have any of your co-workers or yourself had health problems related to air quality in your building? If so I would think UPS is inviting a nasty lawsuit if they don't do something to fix the problem. I think you just don't like seeing a government agency that you enjoy using to beat over the head of your employer disappear.

If you think your job is threatening your health then quit. Its not that complex. Besides, is there not a mention in our own national master agreement about allowing for proper ventilation of harmful fumes from vehicles and other sources? have any of your co-workers or yourself had health problems related to air quality in your building? If so I would think UPS is inviting a nasty lawsuit if they don't do something to fix the problem. I think you just don't like seeing a government agency that you enjoy using to beat over the head of your employer disappear.
Contract language ha ha ha. Ups always follows the contract right. Wrong. Don't they piss test you up in feeders? Stay away from that wacky tobacco.

804brown

Incredible!! Your "good senator" is a maroon. He was probably elected with lots of corporate money. Now he is working to undermine protective health regulations. All to make his state 'business friendly". Why not just vote to get rid of minimum wage laws too, they harm profits. And how about ending the 40 hour work week, too limiting to business and O/T is so unprofitable Or how about overturning child labor laws, why shouldn't 12 yr olds be allowed to work in a factory. Why not allow Michigan businesses to pollute as they wish. Breathing is sooooo overrated!

brett636

I guess you don't know anything about worker comp laws shielding corporations from lawsuits...and yes myself and others do have lung disease among other ailments. Thank you for your concern.

Wow, I guess UPS can lay off all their lawyers then since they can simply refer to workman's comp laws as their shield against any form of litigation. I'm no lawyer, but your response smells of BS. Its easy to tell all you want is a government organization to cry to in order to help blackmail your employer. If your health is that bad solely because of your work then you, my friend, are a fool for staying.

Contract language ha ha ha. Ups always follows the contract right. Wrong. Don't they piss test you up in feeders? Stay away from that wacky tobacco.

Such a defeatist attitude. Its no wonder the union does such a crappy job of enforcing the contract.

Wow, I guess UPS can lay off all their lawyers then since they can simply refer to workman's comp laws as their shield against any form of litigation. I'm no lawyer, but your response smells of BS. Its easy to tell all you want is a government organization to cry to in order to help blackmail your employer. If your health is that bad solely because of your work then you, my friend, are a fool for staying.

Such a defeatist attitude. Its no wonder the union does such a crappy job of enforcing the contract.
You will understand when youve got more years under your belt. Just like in life ups is all about politics and if you were not such a Me-ster you would reread your posts and grow up. Good luck and be safe rookie

iamupser

Grease Monkey

That's the difference between me and you. I look at it as if I took 1 for the team already, what do I have to lose, I may as well try to make it right for the next people (hey it might even be for you or kids) that come along. People who came before me lost their lives for God sakes for decent working conditions back in the Henry Ford / Harry Bennett days. What I'm doing is peanuts in comparison.

Cliff Notes = Life shouldn't be all about "me" as you have suggested in that I quit (maybe your a quitter, I'm not) - obviously a lesson yet to be learned by you

menotyou

bella amicizia
One of my co-workers' wife is a UPS comp lawyer. Her job is to fight injured workers. He said its quite ugly the lengths the UPS will got to in order to prevent an employee from getting what is rightfully theirs.

Last edited:

brett636

You will understand when youve got more years under your belt. Just like in life ups is all about politics and if you were not such a Me-ster you would reread your posts and grow up. Good luck and be safe rookie

Interesting, so growing up involves relying more on your government and less on yourself. If that's the case then I guess I'll never grow up as I trust myself more than my government.

804brown

Interesting, so growing up involves relying more on your government and less on yourself. If that's the case then I guess I'll never grow up as I trust myself more than my government.

Remember "government of, by and for the people". Yes we are a country of individuals but in order to get things done for the common good, we have to work collectively. As a bunch of individuals we are weak and vulnerable. As a collective, through solidarity , we are strong and safer. We should rely on government when it is necessary. When Big Business abuses its workers or pollutes our air and water or fires people unjustly, we need government to level the playing field. The field is currently dominated by Big Business. There once was a good balance between capital and labor. Reagan started to alter that balance and now only about 12% of the workforce is organized. We need government to start being on our side, the working people's side.

iamupser

Grease Monkey

Interesting, what would you suggest workers do when corporations don't follow established rules and regulations that are written in law? Are you suggesting we should "take matters into our own hands"? I thought it better to handle it administratively, but I'm just a caveman :knockedout:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The balance of power is always shifting, the age of manufacturing jobs in this country, along with unions, is becoming very very small. The general population is now sitting behind the desk ordering those items that used to be manufactured here from China. Some people blame that on unions for overpricing the labor to make said items, other say it's the big business's wanting more money on their bottom line to insure their own jobs. Car manufacturers going under while the news blames the unions doesn't help. Public unions getting the spotlight furthering the sour tastes of unions in the public eyes.

Don't fool yourselves guys, we are under the microscope right now in the public's eye. People out of work while we're making more money now then ever with the crazy workloads. People see that and the natural tendency of the average person that I deliver to is "We just deliver boxes, I could do that". When they hear how much we make and see us only at that one stop where we are delivering to them, they then become jealous or envious. As people began losing their jobs in the recession, they still saw those big brown trucks running down the road while they were going to their mailbox getting their unemployment checks in the mailbox.

Perception is reality to those people. They see that we have jobs and make a lot of money doing what we do. As time goes on, people lose their homes, news reports on public unions arises, and posts such as these make headlines we are appearing to those without as the "fatcats". You could tell these same people to come and apply, but as we well know, the workforce of today isn't inclined to do the labor that my dad or my grandfathers generation did. Like it or not, unions in general are a dying breed unless we can show the public why unions are still needed to a certain extent.