Might have a Hernia

tofurobot

Hey guys i been working for UPS since Sep. 2016 as unloader. Begining about a month and a half if been feeling wierd groin sensations. Today i feel a bump in top inner thigh and looked online and said its a femoral hernia. Im 26 years old and should i tell my sup for work injury or will that not happen?

Poop Head

Judge me.
Hey guys i been working for UPS since Sep. 2016 as unloader. Begining about a month and a half if been feeling wierd groin sensations. Today i feel a bump in top inner thigh and looked online and said its a femoral hernia. Im 26 years old and should i tell my sup for work injury or will that not happen?
The internet told me I was having a heart attack last week when I had wierd pain in my chest, neck and jaw. I just pounded on my chest real good and a few days later it went away. Just push on it, hopefully it goes back in.
Or
Go see a real doctor! Go from there. Also, should have said something as soon as things didn't feel right down there

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Inguinal Hernia-Symptoms

I have had several inguinal hernias, yours needs to be taken care of. If you did it at work, you need to file an injury report. Your supervisor will probably not like that and try to talk you out of it. That bulge does not show up immediately, that could be caused by your small intestine working its way through a tear in your muscles. You need to file an injury report to get Workman's Comp, you will be out of work for about two months.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How does that happen? From working here?

Of course from working here. Hernias are often caused by lifting or pulling with your body being in the wrong position. I handled a thousand boxes a day on my first route for years. The first one I got, my Center Manager told me I couldn't prove I did it at work because I didn't file an Injury Report on the day I did it.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Of course from working here. Hernias are often caused by lifting or pulling with your body being in the wrong position. I handled a thousand boxes a day on my first route for years. The first one I got, my Center Manager told me I couldn't prove I did it at work because I didn't file an Injury Report on the day I did it.
I work out every morning and deadlifts scare the hell out of me for this very reason. I'd like to think that by staying in shape and not over-exerting myself out there that I could keep this kind of thing from happening. Do you think you actually did do something wrong or does it just happen?

Over 70

Frankly, more than 8/10 hernias are caused by being fat and out of shape. At least that's what my doctor said. He said healthy, strong, fit people rarely ever get them.

There's always exceptions...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
IDo you think you actually did do something wrong or does it just happen?

Mine were probably caused by using wrong body mechanics, for example having my waist twisted and pulling instead of pushing. My first one I got at a pickup at a chemical plant, I would pick up a pallet or two of 50-70 pound boxes. Trying to work at a brisk pace doesn't help at all. I weighed about 160 pounds at the time, so its not necessarily from being fat. You can get hernias all over your body, they are tears in your muscles. Men get them more than women in the groin area due to a weak spot in the abdominal cavity where your male plumbing passes through. They are often hereditary too.