Mileage reimbursement???

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
Hi!
My husband is a 1.5 year new driver and up to nine new drivers in his center have been laid-off lately (he has the least seniority so he's been laid-off ALOT).
He has been asked several times to drive for another center that is an hour drive from his center.
Should he be getting reimbursed for his mileage to the other center and back since he is required to drive his personal vehicle?
(I have asked him to ask someone at his center several times and he just hasn't asked.....don't know why he won't but it's ticking me off.)
Thanks for all your help!!!
Hope everyone gets through the recession and all the lay-offs okay!
Bless you all!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hi!
My husband is a 1.5 year new driver and up to nine new drivers in his center have been laid-off lately (he has the least seniority so he's been laid-off ALOT).
He has been asked several times to drive for another center that is an hour drive from his center.
Should he be getting reimbursed for his mileage to the other center and back since he is required to drive his personal vehicle?
(I have asked him to ask someone at his center several times and he just hasn't asked.....don't know why he won't but it's ticking me off.)
Bless you all!!!
Short answer ... no.

I`ve been driving over an hour to work my entire 20+ years and have yet to see any compensation. I`m afraid it`s on your dime,but at least he`s working as a driver.
If he were not laid off,had shown up at his home center and was told we need you to drive for the other center that day,then yes he would receive mileage for that day for driving his car to the other center and then working for them. If he was told to report directly to the other center the rest of the week,then no,he would not be compensated for travel.

upsmann21

yes he is entitled to mileage reimbursement. i'm in the the same situation as your husband, and when I am loaned to a different center i get a mileage check.

I`ve been driving over an hour to work my entire 20+ years and have yet to see any compensation. I`m afraid it`s on your dime,but at least he`s working as a driver.
If he were not laid off,had shown up at his home center and was told we need you to drive for the other center that day,then yes he would receive mileage for that day for driving his car to the other center and then working for them. If he was told to report directly to the other center the rest of the week,then no,he would not be compensated for travel.
IF that were to happen, wouldn't they just have him drive an empty package car to & from? If they have up to 9 drivers laid off, I bet they have a few extra PCs.

No,not always. I was loaned out as a swing driver in package after I arrived at my home center. I was paid miles to the center and partial miles home from the center. If they told me to go to the center directly,then I was not paid miles. The bright side was the loaner center was closer to my house.
If upsmann is getting compensated maybe he can steer her in the right direction.

upsmann21

after i was at my home center and if they send me to another center, i am paid the drive time it takes to get to the other center PLUS mileage both ways, then i'm paid the drive time it takes to get home. so if its an hour drive i only have to work for the center i'm loaned to for 9.5hrs so i wont go over 12hrs for the day.

but, if i am to report to the other center directly i am just paid mileage. all he has to do is ask his manager for a mileage reimbursement sheet. its that simple.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
after i was at my home center and if they send me to another center, i am paid the drive time it takes to get to the other center PLUS mileage both ways, then i'm paid the drive time it takes to get home. so if its an hour drive i only have to work for the center i'm loaned to for 9.5hrs so i wont go over 12hrs for the day.

but, if i am to report to the other center directly i am just paid mileage. all he has to do is ask his manager for a mileage reimbursement sheet. its that simple.

I think upsmann21 is having a little fun at your expense Mrs Flower of Fire.
The answer is no.

upsmann21

it's up to her if she chooses to believe me but it won't hurt for her husband to ask. 0.545 cents a mile a lot of money to let go to waste . even for us top paid drivers.

upsmann21

yes, my shop steward always makes sure i fill out the reimbursement sheet. he stresses over it more than i do. i guess he doesn't want them to get away with not paying me. i'm at the bottom of the senority list in my center due to me transfering in from another center, so i know the rules pretty well on getting loaned to other centers.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I always tell them no when they need me in another center. When they say that they really need me I go and drive to the other center. I get paid from my house to the other center, minus the miles it would take me to get to my center and back. They can't make you drive to another center and if you do you do get .55 per mile, at least that is how I have done it the last year and half.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I always tell them no when they need me in another center. When they say that they really need me I go and drive to the other center. I get paid from my house to the other center, minus the miles it would take me to get to my center and back. They can't make you drive to another center and if you do you do get .55 per mile, at least that is how I have done it the last year and half.....

Agreed ... that is not the case with the original poster.
UPS is letting the guy work at another center so he can work.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Hi!
Bless you all!!!

Here's my 2 cents. Either Hoaxter or upsmann21 could be right. In our center it happens both ways. He will have to ask the center manager to know if it's going to happen. It may have been ok in the past, and now with the cost cutting, it may prove difficult.

Usually the rule here is if you are covering for someone in another center, not your home center, you get paid mileage. I got mileage as a ultility driver at peak driving 30 miles to a neighboring center to help out, and guys that cover sattellite routes for the regular drivers get mileage, but not the bid sattellite drivers.

It's kinda tricky, and my prediction is that if he is at the very bottom of the seniority list, and this would explain his reluctance in asking about it, he will be opening a can of worms and the work will suddenly become "unavailable" if he pushes for it if they are unwilling, and I'm sure they are.

He should at least ask the more senior drivers though so at least he knows if he's actually missing out on anything. Surely someone above him has been in this same spot years before this.

Last edited:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
If he is an "on call" driver and gets called to work for a center other than his home domicile he is entitled to mileage pay. But if he is a layed off driver and is on loan to another center he is not entitled to the mileage pay. Unfortunately, at this time we need to pick our battles and maybe be glad for the opportunity to drive at all. I am a feeder driver that has been layed off since Jan 5 and would gladly welcome an hour drive to drive a truck instead of a 45 minute drive to throw boxes in the unload.

upsdude

From reading your previous posts (Flower of Fire), your husband needs to let it go and be thankful he's working.

upsdude

It's not the husband who is making an issue out of it, it is his "silent" partner.

You’re correct, I should have been more specific, the one wearing the pants is making an issue of it.

I guess I’m old school, my wife and I share the pants which leads to there being no pants at times. LOL.

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
From reading your previous posts (Flower of Fire), your husband needs to let it go and be thankful he's working.

He is thankful he's working....I suppose that's why he doesn't press the issue at work. It's me, the meddling wife, that is pressing the issue.
I am also thankful he's working, but it's just so ridiculous how UPS takes advantage of all of it's employees. I swear they send all of management to a class called "Be an ass and still get more out of your employees".
I guess that's the UPS culture. I accept it. So does he. I can't wait till he has more seniority so he wouldn't be at their mercy as much.

Thanks for all the input...I am putting the issue to rest. :happy2: