Minnesota Loads/contractors/sleepers

Addison Feeder Driver

How the heck does 710 allow 60 runs go to contractors and sleepers? They should be regular runs to Osseo Wi. and Black River Falls Wi. Poor leadership can't protect our work and can't negotiate a contract.

Sent using BrownCafe App

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
It looks like that's just the way the math works out in that lane. 400+ miles @ 55mph = ~7.5 hours. Twilight to Preload. Not enough time for meal break for solo, driving meet & turn.
Are the team jobs open for bid by L710 & the MSP drivers?
Are existing road runs being cut?

Last edited:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
How the heck does 710 allow 60 runs go to contractors and sleepers? They should be regular runs to Osseo Wi. and Black River Falls Wi. Poor leadership can't protect our work and can't negotiate a contract.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Did this happen recently? Might have something to do with 710's entire e-board potentially facing lifetime bans from the IBT and maybe even some jail time.

barnyard

KTM rider
Started this past spring when UPS took loads off the train. The 3 Mpls hubs are full of gypsies. Local 638 has been fighting for more feeder and sleeper runs.

Inthegame

Did this happen recently? Might have something to do with 710's entire e-board potentially facing lifetime bans from the IBT and maybe even some jail time.
No, it has nothing to do with L710's troubles. It has everything to do with the BNSF not meeting the service needs of UPS. These are not new loads but rather rail loads now moving on the ground. When enough brown shirts are hired, the contractors will be gone.

Addison Feeder Driver

Sleepers were meant for premium loads like air freight to Louisville. But our local doesn't protect our work and instead of adding good runs its all going to sleepers for Mon-Thur crap sleeper runs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bottom rung

638 told us that they gave the company thirty days to use gypsies so they could train new drivers. They use to have a center in lake Delton wi that was used as a msp cach turn. I heard they laid almost all the feeders off a few years ago. Wonder if they're bringing that back.

fres431

Article 26 of national
"In order to expand the work opportunities for members of the bargaining unit, the Employer will consider removing additional loads from the railroad or the other substitute means of transportation specified in this Article. When the Employer removes loads on other than a temporary basis, it shall notify the Union of the number of new runs to be created as a result of moving such loads on the ground. The Employer and the Union shall agree on the most expeditious method to obtain additional personnel and/or equipment, if necessary, for the new runs to be operated by bargaining unit members. If the equipment or employees are not available, the Employer may use subcontractors for a reasonable start-up period, not to exceed thirty (30) days. The subcontracting can exceed thirty (30) days with the Union’s agreement if there are problems obtaining additional personnel or equipment. Agreement under this paragraph will not be unreasonably denied by the Union. All feeder positions created as a result of returning loads to the ground shall be counted toward the Employer’s obligation to create full-time jobs under Article 22.3 of this Agreement. Bargaining unit employees will move scheduled T.O.friend.C. loads from the rail yards to UPS locations except during peak season."

Addison Feeder Driver

Those sleeper runs are 4 10's with no OT ... Not anywhere close to $100,000 genius. However the Osseo runs that should have been would be over $100,000 , which is my point. Run the sleepers if its so great. See your family 3 days a week.

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
Some of the sleeper runs in Mpls are evidently not that great. The newest sleeper team, the A driver has less than a year in feeders and the B driver is on his 2nd week after training.

Bottom rung

A team driver I know...all he talks about is how much money he makes and is never going to retire. 4day turn.
Did you get any new runs barnyard?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Unless you guys are talking about gypos running sleeper teams, sleeper runs pay more than any other job. Our heaviest sleeper team both made over $130,000 last year. The short runs are three days and pay over $1700 a week. Downside--you aren't home every night.

Addison Feeder Driver

Unless you guys are talking about gypos running sleeper teams, sleeper runs pay more than any other job. Our heaviest sleeper team both made over $130,000 last year. The short runs are three days and pay over $1700 a week. Downside--you aren't home every night.
The Minnesota rums out of cach are hourly and pay 40 hours a week no overtime and you're in the truck for 80 hours. If somebody thinks that's better than running an Osseo Wisconsin turn for about 600 miles on mileage pay, you're nuts. Chicago drivers and Minneapolis drivers are getting screwed big time by these runs going to sleepers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
Did you get any new runs barnyard?

Nope.

I started with UPS 16 years ago. Then we had 3 day feeder jobs and 6 overnight jobs. Now we have 1 daytime job and 3 overnights. I would like to think that with the problems they are having finding feeder guys in the metro that they would add work to some of the outlying buildings (as it used to be done), but I do not see that happening.

I am feeder qualified, but only cover if there are 2 guys on vacation at the same time, there is one other cover guy with more seniority than me. Looks like I will not cover now till October. 5 weeks in feeders for me this year.