Minumum wage to $15.00 per hour in NJ

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NY is on the first step of the process to raise their minimum wage to $15/hr by 2020. As of the first of this year it is at $9.90/hr.

There was an article in today's paper discussing the pros and cons. A local chain restaurant owner stated that any raise in the minimum wage would have to offset by a raise in menu prices. His already thin margins would be even thinner.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
NY is on the first step of the process to raise their minimum wage to $15/hr by 2020. As of the first of this year it is at $9.90/hr.

There was an article in today's paper discussing the pros and cons. A local chain restaurant owner stated that any raise in the minimum wage would have to offset by a raise in menu prices. His already thin margins would be even thinner.
So you're telling me people wouldn't just be richer? Crazy talk.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Wasnt NYC McDonalds and other fast food workers asking for the same bump in pay almost a year ago?

Did it happen yet? Or are they still in the appeal process?

Doh, upstate beat me to it... progressive raises like a ups driver, only in a smaller scale

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Does anyone else feel like if this passes, it makes our contract look even weaker? 15$ an hour to flip burgers or burn fries, 35$ to bust your hump. Just curious.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does anyone else feel like if this passes, it makes our contract look even weaker? 15$ an hour to flip burgers or burn fries, 35$ to bust your hump. Just curious.

Most of these proposals are incremental and will reach top rate after our contract has expired. I do think that this will have an impact on the negotiations and may lead to a two-tiered wage and/or longer progression for new drivers.