MIP Formal Presentation

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Has anyone had a formal presentation of their MIP award or is this just another tradition falling by the wayside?

Yep, had mine and all my reports did as well.

Of course, my management as well as I, tend to be throwbacks to the old traditions. Maybe you'll get yours next week.

pretzel_man

Has anyone had a formal presentation of their MIP award or is this just another tradition falling by the wayside?

Like Hoax, I had a formal presentation and so did all my people.

I explain to the the importance of the tradition and their role in carrying it on.

DS

Fenderbender

I explain to the the importance of the tradition and their role in carrying it on.
Even if I ignore the extra "the" it still makes no sense.
What tradition? the MIP?
without it is there any reason to care?

Coldworld

60 months and counting

p-man, not sure if its been asked on here but at what level of management you are at and at what job function currently???? If that is too personal of a question I understand.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What tradition? the MIP?

Our mgt team travels to Syracuse for their formal MIP presentation. MIP is their incentive pay. I guess they could simply put it into an e-mail but, as Hoax said, there is something to be said for tradition.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What tradition? the MIP?

I believe the tradition that P-man is referring to is the concept of "Ownership Management". More explicitly, that part of management's compensation is based on the profitability of the company in the form of UPS stock and management within the company has a significant investment in the company in the form of Class A UPS stock.

This tradition has been withering on the vine the past few years and there is a big push to try and reinvigorate this tradition again.

hangin455

This tradition has been withering on the vine the past few years and there is a big push to try and reinvigorate this tradition again.
One big part of the tradition was to get your MIP award from the District Manager. I believe this is now a logistical impossibility.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One big part of the tradition was to get your MIP award from the District Manager. I believe this is now a logistical impossibility.

I've been in management over 30 years and I never got my reward from the District manager except for the first year.
The District Manager participating in the reward in the first year still happens in my area but with the larger districts, I can see that being a logistical problem.

pretzel_man

What tradition? the MIP?

Sorry.... I explain to my people the importance of the tradition... I expect them to understand it and carry it on.

I am now the old guy in every meeting with the most years of service. I feel I have a responsibility to continue this tradition and teach those around me to continue it.

My belief is that there is local and personal responsibility. Long, long ago, a corporate department head with a big corner office taught me that. I told him something about how UPS thought. He told me that there is no "UPS", just people who make up the company and that I had responsibility in shaping UPS.

Like I said, long ago. Casey had been dead only a couple of years....

So, at MIP time I personally give out the award. Speak about the year that went by. Speak about their role in shaping this company. If its low, I explain why. If its high (like this year), we talk about the hard work that made it so.

As Hoax said, I speak about the difference between acting like an employee vs. acting like an owner.

As far as the district manager goes, I got it from my district manager mostly in my career. Yes, its almost impossible today, but that does not mean the concept cannot continue.

Its up to individual management to carry it on....

pretzel_man

p-man, not sure if its been asked on here but at what level of management you are at and at what job function currently???? If that is too personal of a question I understand.

Cold... I have admittedly been ambiguous on this. I don't think its relevant here, but there is a more important reason for me.

I have many management who report to me. I honestly do not know if they post on the BC. I don't want them to worry about censoring their posts if they saw I did.

I have been with UPS for 35 years. I have worked in multiple regions and districts. Operations assignments and I.E. (about 60% I.E.) Today, I am not in I.E. I work a lot with corporate people and have many friends there. I do planning, follow up, and training of operators. I spend a few days a month in centers, so I don't think I'm blind to the "real world".

Again, sorry for the ambiguity.... As others may attest to, I'm more open on PM's.

Jack

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Cold... I have admittedly been ambiguous on this. I don't think its relevant here, but there is a more important reason for me.

I have many management who report to me. I honestly do not know if they post on the BC. I don't want them to worry about censoring their posts if they saw I did.

I have been with UPS for 35 years. I have worked in multiple regions and districts. Operations assignments and I.E. (about 60% I.E.) Today, I am not in I.E. I work a lot with corporate people and have many friends there. I do planning, follow up, and training of operators. I spend a few days a month in centers, so I don't think I'm blind to the "real world".

Again, sorry for the ambiguity.... As others may attest to, I'm more open on PM's.

Jack

Very fair answer...one thing I've always appreciated about you is your honesty when dealing with both mgt and union posters on here....you aren't afraid to say how the union or company made a mistake or did a good job on something. This says so much about your character..thank you and happy holidays.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
.Not trying to hijack the thread but has there ever been discussions on how to bring hourly employees into some sort of profit sharing program??Why do so many hourly folks feel like outsiders who never feel like they are part of the company...its always stated that this is managements company and hourly just "work" here. There seems to be no pride of ownership within the hourly ranks even though the drivers are the face of this company to our customers. I know I have a huge amount of clout when dealing with my customers on issues related to ups...much more that mgt probably realizes, as do other drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

.Not trying to hijack the thread but has there ever been discussions on how to bring hourly employees into some sort of profit sharing program??Why do so many hourly folks feel like outsiders who never feel like they are part of the company...its always stated that this is managements company and hourly just "work" here. There seems to be no pride of ownership within the hourly ranks even though the drivers are the face of this company to our customers. I know I have a huge amount of clout when dealing with my customers on issues related to ups...much more that mgt probably realizes, as do other drivers.

It sounds as though you have never heard of the Thrift Plan. I forget many of the particulars but I do know that we were able to have money taken from our check and UPS would contribute based upon their profit. I know some of our now retired drivers became very wealthy when they converted their Thrift Plans in to UPS stock during the IPO. One driver in particular in my center took his $180K and converted it in to $1.2M in stock.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ok...your right about the thrift plan which I believe I was part of for the first year of my employment but this is gone as you stated. So what can be done for todays employee besides taking away a damn turkey

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Ok...your right about the thrift plan which I believe I was part of for the first year of my employment but this is gone as you stated. So what can be done for todays employee besides taking away a damn turkey

As well as our incentives for safety and years of service.

I would like to hear more about how important tradition is, and why it is.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As well as our incentives for safety and years of service.

I would like to hear more about how important tradition is, and why it is.

Let's see ... it was a tradition at UPS, before 1997, that we never had a nationwide strike. :wink2:

I guess some traditions go by the wayside.