Misplaced My Paycheck

NI3

Direct deposit is supposed to save the company a significant amount of money every year. The company could get close to 100% direct deposit participation if every year, they gave us a little chunk of that savings.
I just toured UPS as a new applicant and I was told that physical paycheck is no longer offered. We were told two options. Direct Deposit into your own bank account or ADP Paycard.

P

Perevodimm

Who wants to do - looking for a way who does not want - is looking for a reason.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
The thing is that it would have taken your friend a year to figure out he was getting shorted even if he had gotten a paper pay check. Apparently he is independently wealth so much that he doesn't need to check his bank statement and or balance his check book.

Him getting shorted for a year is his fault and has nothing to do with getting a paper check or not.

And for some, its their very first job. They have no clue about or what a paycheck entails. He didnt know for a year because hes never had a paycheck before. It took him a year of going without the stub and being told what he should be looking for within it.

Edit: I forgot, but he was also tricked into not getting a vacation as well, sign here please...

Southwestern

I just toured UPS as a new applicant and I was told that physical paycheck is no longer offered. We were told two options. Direct Deposit into your own bank account or ADP Paycard.

They've said that for years, but I know several new hires who receive paper checks (additionally, driver helpers typically do not receive the option of direct deposit as UPS attempts to hold their paycheck hostage should they not return the uniform). My friend's 18-year-old son typically works less than 15 hours per week, likely doesn't take home $100 and yet uses check cashing services.

Honestly, folks, it's 2012 -- time to modernize if you haven't done so. If you don't have a bank account -- for whatever reason -- know that UPS pays all the fees associated with the ADP Pay Card. A friend of mine had the ADP Pay Card and was able to go into a local bank minutes from our center and collect all her monies at no cost to her every payday. As an added bonus, This particular bank offered ADP users the option of purchasing cashier's checks 4/$1 (the same ones it charges its consumers $7 each for!!)

BTW, the ADP Pay Card is an excellent option for those who aren't responsible enough to manage a traditional bank account (re: constant overdrafts).

NI3

They've said that for years, but I know several new hires who receive paper checks (additionally, driver helpers typically do not receive the option of direct deposit as UPS attempts to hold their paycheck hostage should they not return the uniform). My friend's 18-year-old son typically works less than 15 hours per week, likely doesn't take home $100 and yet uses check cashing services.

Honestly, folks, it's 2012 -- time to modernize if you haven't done so. If you don't have a bank account -- for whatever reason -- know that UPS pays all the fees associated with the ADP Pay Card. A friend of mine had the ADP Pay Card and was able to go into a local bank minutes from our center and collect all her monies at no cost to her every payday. As an added bonus, This particular bank offered ADP users the option of purchasing cashier's checks 4/$1 (the same ones it charges its consumers $7 each for!!)

BTW, the ADP Pay Card is an excellent option for those who aren't responsible enough to manage a traditional bank account (re: constant overdrafts).

Something the HR woman told us:
Calling in a question to ADP Paycard customer service costs money on per call basis and there's been employees who put themselves in negative balance by calling multiple times a day asking if their paycheck has been deposited.

What kind of people work at $8.80/hr to $9.50/hr payscale? I was told its only for 18 and over. What's the demographics of people who work in the hub?

Southwestern

Something the HR woman told us:
Calling in a question to ADP Paycard customer service costs money on per call basis and there's been employees who put themselves in negative balance by calling multiple times a day asking if their paycheck has been deposited.

What kind of people work at $8.80/hr to $9.50/hr payscale? I was told its only for 18 and over. What's the demographics of people who work in the hub?

I should clarify :). Yes, the card does have your typical "excessive" usage fees attached to most prepaid cards, but UPS pays all of the obligatory fees (monthly, a limited number of withdrawals, etc.) Like I said, it's a great program for those not responsible enough to maintain a bank account, or those simply worried about overdrafts. The program includes (or use to, at least) in-branch withdrawals at some participating banks, so at the very least you have quick & FREE access to your money each week. Those $3 fees Walmart charges add up, and you might be tempted into buying something (while you're there) that you really don't need.

Not certain what you mean about payscale... all P/Ters start out at $8.50/hr and increase to $9.50 after 90-days. There's a $1 raise available for skilled jobs (sort, load, etc.) They've never hired anyone under 18 for Preload (aka Sunrise, Inbound) or Midnights although sometimes they'll go as young as 17 for Local Sort (aka Reload, Twilight, Outbound). A good, diverse mixture in my building... many people from underprivileged communities, and many college students living in ultra-affluent communities.

Last edited:

NI3

Yes, the card does have so-called excessive usage fees attached but UPS pays the obligatory fees associated with most cards (for example, monthly fees, a limited number of in-branch/ATM withdrawals, etc.)

Not certain what you mean about payscale... all p/t start out at $8.50/hr and increase to $9 after 90-days. There's a $1 raise available for skilled jobs (sort, load, etc.) They don't hire anybody under 18 for preload (some positions on the evening sort have 17-year-old HS). My center covers a large footprint, from ultra-affluent to very, very poor -- and employees from all spectrum work here.

Here, It was $8.50 for general, $9.50 for "skilled".
It only went up to $8.80 this year because the state minimum wage is now $8.80 here. so starting pay is upped to that, but the "skilled" did not get a corresponding rise and still stuck at $9.50.

trickpony1

Yes, but if that's true, do you think UPS is the only company that does that? Most large companies that I've worked for have done that, or something similar. I'd be disappointed in them if they weren't.

Because most large companies do it does that make it right?
Let's try this experiment:
On a pre-planned date, every pkg car driver in America will forget their lunch money and borrow $10 from their COD money to eat lunch with.
Let's see what happens the next day.........

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Went up to my soup today to get my pay check. Seems he forgot to hand them out to people. He had a ton on him, and many didnt seek it out. Direct, theres a lot that can go wrong and will go wrong. And to those who never check the stub, its on you. Years of it, might never be spoken for to the masses.

As I said about my friend. The vacation was one of those suggestions from a supervisor, " hey, sign here and you'll get paid a little more for it " speel. Of course letting him know its only an extras week of pay, and minus a week or rest, which the rest in my opinion is worth so much more.

Yea, a soup tried to get me to sign up for a card. The speel was " you should get a card, because during the winter paychecks get delayed ". I use only checks, call me old fashion. And I'm not afraid of a late check. Yet he did make it sound really good.

I enjoy going to the bank. Gotta check in to see if they got another hot chick behind the counter.

Southwestern

Because most large companies do it does that make it right?
Let's try this experiment:
On a pre-planned date, every pkg car driver in America will forget their lunch money and borrow $10 from their COD money to eat lunch with.
Let's see what happens the next day.........

Most of your bills have generous grace periods or are post-paid. You can earn interest on the money you've already spent while waiting for the bill to arrive, or while waiting to pay your bills. When you accepted a job with UPS, you knew you were being paid weekly. You accepted those terms. If you don't agree with them, you're always welcome to find an employer that pays you daily or with little/no grace period beyond the end of the week. Good luck. Even with the high level of automation, payroll is still expensive to process. It's not reasonable to expect companies to pay regular employees by the day, or immediately (as I mentioned before, you have until Tuesday to correct management of any payroll errors). There's a reason most payroll checks are biweekly in this country.

Southwestern

Yea, a soup tried to get me to sign up for a card. The speel was " you should get a card, because during the winter paychecks get delayed ". I use only checks, call me old fashion. And I'm not afraid of a late check. Yet he did make it sound really good.

I enjoy going to the bank. Gotta check in to see if they got another hot chick behind the counter.

I wouldn't call you old fashion, but I will call you a luddite :). (BTW, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident that management employees do not have the option of receiving a paper check, or even paper stub. This may extend to some other non-union positions as well.)

I rarely make trips to the bank (hello online banking!) except for special needs (a stack of dollar bills used for tipping at all-inclusive resorts, etc.) When I do go on a Friday, my local bank always has Godiva chocolate bars, Pierre water, etc. Good stuff. Too bad the teller looks like a 350-lb. female version of Carrot Top.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I wouldn't call you old fashion, but I will call you a luddite :). (BTW, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident that management employees do not have the option of receiving a paper check, or even paper stub. This may extend to some other non-union positions as well.)

I rarely make trips to the bank (hello online banking!) except for special needs (a stack of dollar bills used for tipping at all-inclusive resorts, etc.) When I do go on a Friday, my local bank always has Godiva chocolate bars, Pierre water, etc. Good stuff. Too bad the teller looks like a 350-lb. female version of Carrot Top.
Where do you bank at?

NYdriver

The company would dearly love everyone to be on direct deposit.
There's a little secret alot of people don't know about.
Think about this.......
Payroll is done Sunday night. There are three days between Sunday night and Thursday afternoon.
What happens during those three days?
It is believed that the company sweeps all the money "earmarked" for those direct deposit paychecks into a high yield CD and is milking the interest money produced those three days by our paychecks.
I can call my banker and she can tell me the amount of my direct deposit and that I have access to it on thursday but it won't be in my account until friday.
When the time is right, a button is pushed by the wizard behind the curtain in the Ivory Tower and the paychecks are distributed. When that is done, the wizard counts the interest money he earned off our slush fund.

There's that "honesty" thing again..........

First Off, this is 110% incorrect. I have a background in finance and still do it on the side. There is no such thing as a high interest CD, or short term account for that matter. The max yield you are getting on a CD is 4.000%, but this is over a period of 5 years in which you can not touch the allocated funds and get a penalty for early withdrawal.

Lastly, there is no investment account in the world in which you could withdraw in 3 days without a penalty. A payroll account is not an interest bearing account, so no, they are not making money on our paychecks.

also, the 3 day lag has to do with wire transfers reaching the federal reserve, the clearing house, and getting directed into our accounts. It's not instatnt as many believe.

NYdriver

I rarely make trips to the bank (hello online banking!) except for special needs (a stack of dollar bills used for tipping at all-inclusive strip clubs, etc.) When I do go on a Friday, my local bank always has Godiva chocolate bars, Pierre water, etc. Good stuff. Too bad the teller looks like a 350-lb. female version of Carrot Top.

NICE! :likeit:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Yes, its part of the requirement to go to the dark side. I've spoken with a few soups, and they wished they still got a check worth something.

I just enjoy knowing the fact I'm one of the few at my HUB that still gets a worthy check in hand. Its like they have to say thanks to me with a check.

Southwestern

First Off, this is 110% incorrect. I have a background in finance and still do it on the side. There is no such thing as a high interest CD, or short term account for that matter. The max yield you are getting on a CD is 4.000%, but this is over a period of 5 years in which you can not touch the allocated funds and get a penalty for early withdrawal.

Lastly, there is no investment account in the world in which you could withdraw in 3 days without a penalty. A payroll account is not an interest bearing account, so no, they are not making money on our paychecks.

also, the 3 day lag has to do with wire transfers reaching the federal reserve, the clearing house, and getting directed into our accounts. It's not instatnt as many believe.

Yes, EFT transfers are not instantaneous but in 2012 they are completed in less than 24-hours. You can bet that until the moment UPS moves payroll funds for disbursement, they're in a liquid investment account earning income of some type. Market rates stink, but even a 0.01% return will add up for a company that pays tens of millions in payroll each week.

Traditionally, companies maintain separate payroll accounts as to limit access to the funds. A company as large as UPS likely had a very large number of payroll accounts for various employee groups in various geographical regions (not just two as speculated). The biggest advantage of direct deposit is that UPS no longer needs to maintain these accounts; instead, funds are handed over to ADP for disbursement. Although UPS pays for this service, the cost of maintaining all those payroll accounts is exorbitant, thus UPS is likely saving tens of millions.

I last received a paper check when I switched banks but erroneously reported my new account number (on UPSers). The check was issued against a Citibank account. When I first hired into UPS as a 17-year-old, I received a paper check (not eligible for direct deposit at the time) written against a very large local/regional bank. I know this because I cashed my checks there :). Thus, I can conclude that UPS has been consolidating its payroll accounts.

Southwestern

Yes, its part of the requirement to go to the dark side. I've spoken with a few soups, and they wished they still got a check worth something.

I just enjoy knowing the fact I'm one of the few at my HUB that still gets a worthy check in hand. Its like they have to say thanks to me with a check.

...and I bet when you go to the grocery store you wait until after your order has been rang up, then whip out the ole check book and spend the next five minutes filling out your check -- that has your name, address, SSN, driver's license, bank account and routing number prominately printed on it -- while telling the cashier 'I saw on the news that credit cards are unsafe to use.' I bet it kills you that checks are no longer returned (or even collected at some retail outlets). :)

I once read a case study about American Greetings: the company saved millions by converting its remaining employees (less than 10%) to direct deposit + eliminating paper stubs. Consider the savings for UPS, which is 10x the size of American Greetings. A quick, easy and PAINLESS solution in keeping our company strong & competitive while maintaining our wage & benefits for (at least) another contract. My sole gripe is that UPS's online paystub portal is a late 1990s/early 2000s version of PeopleSoft. If it'd updated to the newer version (visually more appealing + custom sorting options available), maybe it'd be more popular.

If any FedEx employees are reading this, do you receive a paper option?

rocket man

WHEN I WAS PT I LOST A CHECK FORGOT about it a year later got a letter from corparate asking if i wanted a new check issued i responded yes found money

rocket man

my mother is a bank teller and looks like carrot top?

NI3

I use only checks, call me old fashion. And I'm not afraid of a late check. Yet he did make it sound really good.

Companies don't like paper in general and they like to eliminate human interaction whenever possible. I have a basic bank account. If I use the teller for anything that could have been done with ATM, my bank charges a fee.

UPS in particular hates paper I think. They only gave us one way to apply. UPSjobs.com
If you can't use a computer, you can't even apply.