Missed my second day of work in the warehouse. Will I be fired?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It's funny...ever since I retired 4 plus years ago I have been offered so many jobs. One reason is that most people know I worked at UPS . The other reason is my age or generation. They know I will show up everyday , not call in sick on Mondays and Fridays and not flake out.

It's a huge problem in my town. Seems like every business has a "Hiring" sign in window. Everyone complains they just can not find young people willing to work anymore. and some of these jobs are good. Town jobs driving road maintenance trucks , Cal-Trans , construction apprentice positions , and more.

sign of the times.

Brotherrr

Don't worry about others; you worry about yourself!

I have seen women in the centers keeping pace with others, even out performing some of those college males. Mostly because they're probably holding another job & classes on top of it.

That YouTube guy was just expressing his experience at that one location. It varies depending on each center, like he said & others chiming in to say similar things.

The millennial mindset you're talking about is their way to express that if this is modern day slavery, then the employer doesn't get a formal 2 week notice. Just burn that bridge and move on. <shrugs>

Or that other term, ghosting... sighs, pathetic

Ghosting in the Workplace: Why it Happens and What to Do About It

I'm sure you're right. I just need to apply and see what happens.
I understand what you're saying about millenials, but I think a lot of it is just unrealistic expectations as to what holding down a job requires and entails. Of course if everyone could have their way, they'd show up to work only when they were in the mood and get paid $200K a year. But that's not the way life goes for most people.
So to say theyre no call/no show or ghosting employers as some grand statement on the unfairness of capitalism and wage-slavery just doesnt ring true to me. I think people who do this just want to work on their own terms, with their own rules, and that's just not how most jobs are. Or they're too lacking in assertiveness and/or afraid of confrontation that they cant even call off work, quit a job, turn down a job, or politely cancel a job interview. It really doesn't bode well for society if so many young people cannot do these basic things and instead choose to just "disappear" from a job. Its just basic courtesy; what happens when society starts to accept a lack of basic common courtesy/work ethic? Just seems like a bad trend to me.

D

Deleted member 77202

I have no excuse. I simply didn't feel like going in and was thinking about quitting after the first day. I've since realized I made a dumb mistake and want to go back. I don't even know who my supervisor is. Did I blow it? Any advice?

For new hires, attendance is optional. Not kidding. They don't want employees who want to work everyday (of course, they won't tell you that). UPS likes people that only want to work part-time or on-call.

When a new hire (not yet in the Union) doesn't show up, it really is no big deal. Supervisor will simply call the next person on the list. That's all.

However, if you decide that you really want to work there, then make sure you tell whichever one of the Supervisors that does the calling in of employees on your shift. Give him/her your phone number asap.

Ask around your building and find out who's in charge, etc.

SandSpida

You're a negative group of people. You've all helped reaffirm my initial feeling about working for UPS. Thank you. I'd rather eat :censored2: than become the kind of corporate whore who spends my off time on the company message board, lambasting and disparaging people, broadcasting my bitterness and egocentricity to people I don't know, as if working for UPS is some kind of grand achievement to be proud of. It's not and you are a pathetic group of halfwits. It's entry-level work. Anyone can do it. I never claimed to be a perfect person--far from it. But I have no need to sell myself short for nickels on the dime. Thankfully, there are some people gullible enough to do it. I was simply looking for advice. Indirectly, in the form of petty insults, stupid presumptions, and dumb jokes, you gave it to me and foretold my miserable future had I decided to stay with the company. Thanks. You've made this easy.
upload_2020-2-22_22-48-32.jpeg