MISSING: Ethics

john346

No more Brown!
I know that Danny Boy has covered this, and the posts went as usual on varied topics. Further, I know that I'll never capture the sentiment that he was able to capture. But I am curious about this.
We live in Idaho, and as such our big city nearby is a mere 56K in population. So here is the crux of this post, today my bride had a Dr appointment. While at the appointment, she left her sunglasses in the restroom. Approximately ten minutes had passed when she realized this, she immediately returned to the restroom to find, well, you guessed it. Now admittedly, I'm somewhat culpable in this as I feel that if she feels that she can see better through a $230 pair of Maui Jim's rather than a $60 pair of Ray Ban's, and this is what she wants, I agree. I absolutely feel that this is far too much for a pair of sunglasses, but the lack of argument is worth it over time. One of the reasons we choose to live here is the small town honesty. Has it went to the wayside everywhere?
My question is this, am I and my wife the only ones who would remit the glasses to the front desk? I so wish there were a way to conduct a secret poll to see what people would do anonymously without naming names. Are we just naive? :sad-very:
So here goes, you go into the restroom, you are alone, you spot a pair of expensive sunglasses on the counter next to the sink, do they now belong to you?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would definitely try them on....then I would take them to the desk for the lost & found.

This just happened in our neighborhood. Hubby found sunglasses on his walk and turned them in at the rec. center.

browndevil

I know that Danny Boy has covered this, and the posts went as usual on varied topics. Further, I know that I'll never capture the sentiment that he was able to capture. But I am curious about this.
We live in Idaho, and as such our big city nearby is a mere 56K in population. So here is the crux of this post, today my bride had a Dr appointment. While at the appointment, she left her sunglasses in the restroom. Approximately ten minutes had passed when she realized this, she immediately returned to the restroom to find, well, you guessed it. Now admittedly, I'm somewhat culpable in this as I feel that if she feels that she can see better through a $230 pair of Maui Jim's rather than a $60 pair of Ray Ban's, and this is what she wants, I agree. I absolutely feel that this is far too much for a pair of sunglasses, but the lack of argument is worth it over time. One of the reasons we choose to live here is the small town honesty. Has it went to the wayside everywhere?
My question is this, am I and my wife the only ones who would remit the glasses to the front desk? I so wish there were a way to conduct a secret poll to see what people would do anonymously without naming names. Are we just naive? :sad-very:
So here goes, you go into the restroom, you are alone, you spot a pair of expensive sunglasses on the counter next to the sink, do they now belong to you?
I would turn them in. Karma Baby!:happy2:

kene1024

I'd turn them in, and hope that somebody else would do the same for me if I lost something. Unfortunately, I'd probably end up being disappointed, but you can always hope that other people will do the right thing.

leastbest

LeastBest
We had a driver in our center find a wallet on the sidewalk and dropped it off at the police station. The next day at our A.M. Meeting he was told was a great person he was. Afterward I asked him about it and he said he only turned it in because it had less in it than he had on him.

rod

Retired 22 years
I wouldn't know an expensive pair of sunglasses if they bit me on the arss.:peaceful: $230.00 for sunglasses? I would get rid of this women--- way too high maintenence:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a local business owner who lost her bank deposit bag which had nearly $15,000 in cash and checks in the middle of one of our busiest streets. The person who found it opened it to first see what it was and then to determine who may have lost it. She then returned it intact to the business and was rewarded for her honesty.

My son and I talked about it later and he asked me what I would have done and I told them that, tempting as it may have been, I would have done the same. That is the Dad thing to say--honestly, I cannot say what I would have done but would hope that I would have done the right thing.

$230 sunglasses? Can you say "high maintenance"?

New Englander

$230 for a near disposable item. When I was younger I thought it was cool to buy expensive sunglasses.

Yet they scratch just as easily as the cheaper ones.

BigBrownSanta

Since I have no need for sunglasses, I would've turned them in.

$15,000 on the other hand...

the store owner wouldn't have seen that again.

Just being honest.

probellringer

first..... i bought a pair of donna karan sunglasses 14 yrs ago for $225---still got them....ive left them everywhere(parties,bbqs,)but always remembered and got them back...something about the way they fit-and since i spent alot -i always took care of them....so i can justify the price.....secondly -we all deliver -how many times have you seen keys sticking out of apt doors,or in the car door,,coffee on the roof,,purses being driven around on car roof,,,it just boggles my mind....just last wk i found a key chain in the street --3 sets of car keys---among 70 other keys on the ring--took me 4 houses but i found the owner---didnt really seem appreciative---but anyway....time to go to work....enjoy

JustTired

free at last.......
While riding my motorcycle more years ago than I care to admit, I came across a bank deposit bag in the middle of downtown. I turned around and retrieved it. When I opened it, it appeared to have several thousand dollars in it. I looked for any sign of who it belonged to, but there was none. I took it to the police station immediately.

When telling friends what happened, they asked if I had gotten a receipt from the police. I said no. Evidently after 30 days if no one claimed it, it would be mine. About a week later I returned to ask if anyone had claimed it. No one had any idea what I was talking about.

I learned a lesson that day and I'm guessing someone in blue had a heck of a party. I would still turn it in, but you bet I would get a receipt and keep closer tabs on the outcome.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
on the other hand, a few years back i was staying at a campground in the keys. was takin a shower and someone stole me perscription glasses from off the top of the shower stall curtain. that means they had entered the first curtain and gone through all my pockets as well.

from what i learned, there is a whole economy based on stolen items down there, moreso than in most other places.

the way i look at it is that if you have to justify something to yourself, pretty much bet it is bad or wrong.

i would take then to the front desk.

d

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Turn the glasses in to the front desk. If I later found the were $230 for sunglasses, would have found the owner & smacked them around some.

I buy the cheapest sunglasses that work - $15 usually - I sit on them far too often.

Went to a carnival a few weeks ago, found a wallet with cash, no credit cards or ID - Gave to the cops, ended up being some kids $$$, felt pretty good about that.

If I found a big bag of money that fell out of an armored truck, with say $200,000 in it? I regret to say I would be less than honorable.

Fishbulb

Personally, I'd turn them in the to front desk. I've broken so many glasses in my life that I buy the cheapies from the conveniant stores for $10 or whatever. I'm not a greedy person, sure if I found a $20 bill on the ground I'd pick it up & keep it unles I had just watched fall out of someone's pocket. Not everyone is as nice, not everyone was raised with ethics & common courtesy. It's like rodney Dangerfield said "It's a mad world out there, you gotta look out for #1 & try not to step in #2."

bellesotico

BOXstar
For me that is a no brainer..turn them in of course. :) They don't belong to me..and I wouldn't want someone to keep something that I misplaced. I was taught that you treat people the way that you would like to be treated. Unfortunately that doesn't always work out, but hey..I have a nice "karmic bank account" built up. :)

john346

No more Brown!
I agree that it's a lot of money for sunglasses. I already confirmed this in my post. Personally, in my "dust bucket" I prefer the freebie cheapie brand. Regardless, if no one bought them, then they wouldn't exist. I blow a lot on my hobbies, guns, camera gear, etc. So when she pipes up and wants something like this, then it's a no brainer. If anything its us fellows and our hobby costs that make US high maintenance!

I really don't want to break topic here though. I'm in the "Karma Bank" as well, I turn in sunglasses, I help women on the side of the road with flat tires, or breakdowns. Overall, we all seem to be on the same page, so how do we spread the love? What do we do to further this sentiment? Is it even possible beyond what we've instilled in our children?