beentheredonethat

How does the tracking info show:
Last Location:
Niagara Falls, NY, United States, Wednesday, 08/10/2011

Which is 12 days after it was shipped?

Click on the link.
Look at the detail information.
Start at the bottom of the detail.

First scan, was order processed ready for UPS. This was the manifest scan at the local UPS store you went to.
The second scan was "Tracer Request" this was a request to start the process for a claim where the pkg should be delivered at or near the Niagra Falls UPS facility. The third and last scan was that a claim was processed on package at that destination facility. The physical package was not physically scanned by anyone from UPS.

rod

Retired 22 years
good job sticking to the ops topic people ................. i would guess it got damaged/destroyed or the label came off the box,, most likely its in overgoods

Good luck finding anything in overgoods. I don't recall ever hearing of anyone successfully getting their lost item back from "overgoods". I think everything goes straight to the "auction" with no attempt to to reunite the overgoods with anyone connected to it. Has anyone ever had any luck doing the "overgoods tracing" thing.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes. I have successfully got a customers package back from over-goods. But, I'm sure 'someone' will say I'm, well, not telling the truth. Maybe, not today. Maybe, not next week. At some point, though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there anyway to find out which Overgoods area the package would have gone to?

I guess that would depend upon which way the prevailing winds were blowing the day that it was lost.

Seriously, it sounds as though the shipment was created but the package was never given to UPS. If you paid by credit card I would contact them to put a hold on the transaction.

P

pickup

Let me try to top the previous replies:To the Original Poster- the answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

bigbrownhen

The claim has been filed. Keep communicating with the shipper as to status of claim. That's about all you can do. Best of luck to you in finding your shipment.

packageguy

Kiter, the only posts from you in the database are in this thread... There are none that indicate that they were deleted by a mod.

Are you sure that you hit the post / submit button and didn't accidentally delete it yourself before you left the page?

We have all done that a couple of times, lol

packageguy

Hello,

First off - if it seems like I'm mad at UPS, I'm not. I've been a long time supporter of UPS, and have had just about everything under the sun shipped to me via UPS without any big issues. So, thanks for the work you guys (and gals) do.

Brown-nosing aside (mind the pun), I've run into bit of an issue. I ordered a kite (a very large, specialized kite for kiteboarding) from South Padre, Texas to Niagara Falls, Buffalo. I noticed that the tracking number the shipper provided (from a UPS store) was odd in the sense that the package status wasn't updating, even several days after the shipper confirmed he had sent it.

Eventually, after the estimated delivery date had passed, I requested that the shipper visit the store and inquire as to what was going on. From there, a lost package tracer went out, and to no avail unfortunately. Now - the weird part is that the tracking # reveals that the last location is Niagara Falls, NY.

Thankfully, I insured the package. However, the deal I got was awesome, and it was a kite that I had been trying to find for a while. Needless to say, I'd love to hear about any extra steps I could take that may help me locate the kite. The box is large, and weighs 12 lbs.

The tracking information I was provided:1Z8V79210393666520

Thanks!

Yes my guess would be overgoods

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would think that something as odd as a kite would be easily found in our Overgoods Dept. It just takes a little while to find it. I have a shipper that was able to get a package back when his label came off. The oversize box never should have gone to Overgoods in the first place, since it was a large box with the company name and address printed all over it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Scratch, I still contend that the pkg never made it in to our system. The shipment was created and billing information sent to UPS but there is no movement after that. I think the OP may have been the victim of a scam.

upsgrunt

I was kinda thinkin the same thing. The original poster said they got a great deal on the kite; maybe the deal was so good the seller had remorse and instead of backing out, created the label without actually getting the package into the system. The seller files a claim, the buyer gets their money back, and the seller keeps the kite, all while UPS has to suck it. I would check the relationship of the seller to the employee of the UPS store, if the seller even went to the store to drop it off. They could have created the label at home and CLAIMED to drop it off at the store.

Last edited:

Kiter

Thanks for being so helpful so far - I appreciate it.

The original poster said they got a great deal on the kite; maybe the deal was so good the seller had remorse and instead of backing out, created the label without actually getting the package into the system. The seller files a claim, the buyer gets their money back, and the seller keeps the kite, all while UPS has to suck it. I would check the relationship of the seller to the employee of the UPS store, if the seller even went to the store to drop it off. They could have created the label at home and CLAIMED to drop it off at the store.

Is there any way of finding out which UPS Store the shipper used and calling them?

Thanks again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for being so helpful so far - I appreciate it.

Is there any way of finding out which UPS Store the shipper used and calling them?

Thanks again.

The shipper number (digits 3-8) of the 1Z would be the key. It would be very helpful for you if you could find out who the shipper number is assigned to. If it is assigned to a UPS Store you could call them to see if they remember anything but it has been over a month. I think your only recourse is to make sure you get your money back.