Mom, Daughter Survive After Car Gets Stuck Under 18-Wheeler on the Pennsylvania Turnpike Read more:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Mom, Daughter Survive After Car Gets Stuck Under 18-Wheeler on the Pennsylvania Turnpike - NBC

A woman who is recovering after a crash on the Pennsylvania Turnpike left her car stuck under the belly of an 18-wheeler Monday afternoon admits she was shocked she and her mother were still alive moments after the accident.

Moening, 55, was driving her Mazda Miata south of Lansdale and north of Blue Bell near mile marker 25 of the Turnpike around 2:30 p.m. Monday. Her mother, 78-year-old Nahlin Duka, was on the passenger side. As they were driving, a UPS truck was merging from the middle lane to the right lane. Officials say the truck driver didn't see the Miata and the two vehicles collided. The crash caused the car to get stuck under the belly of the 18-wheeler.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
even with 2 mirrors on the right side a little car can be in a blind spot on the right. when I merge over I do so very slowly and check those mirrors all the way and even after doing all that have had a couple close calls.

hopefully we will someday have the technology on our trucks to have an audible warning system for this situation.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Some states have a do not pass on the right law on multi lane highways. Off the top of my head Connecticut is one of them

bluehdmc

Have you ever driven on either I-84 or I-91? I assure you that there is no such prohibition on either of those two multi-lane highways.

It's illegal to pass on the right in NJ except left turning vehicles and "continuous lines of traffic", yet around hear it's like dodge cars.

If it's illegal in PA the investigating officer may have checked off a box on the accident report for "contributing factors" and said the driver was passing illegally. They don't have to issue a ticket.

Besides, it's a more dramatic headline, "Car stuck under 18 wheeler".

oldngray

nowhere special
Even if it isn't illegal one of the unwritten rules of the road is always pass on the left. Far too many people just don't care.

oldngray

nowhere special
How many times has a big rig hogged the left lane and you don't have a choice?

There are times you are forced to pass on the right so I don't believe there should be a law about it but still rude and shouldn't be done if you don't have to. That ties in with the other rule of slower traffic should stay to the right. Both are part of driving courtesy.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There are times you are forced to pass on the right so I don't believe there should be a law about it but still rude and shouldn't be done if you don't have to. That ties in with the other rule of slower traffic should stay to the right. Both are part of driving courtesy.

Where I am, passing on the right is the only way to get anywhere. People camp out in the left lane like it's a prize they've won. Then they drive 5 miles under the speed limit. Makes for very frustrating driving. :(

bluehdmc

Where I am, passing on the right is the only way to get anywhere. People camp out in the left lane like it's a prize they've won. Then they drive 5 miles under the speed limit. Makes for very frustrating driving. :(

Do you drive in the NYC area? That's what they do here. I've watched people merge onto a 3 lane highway with very little traffic and go immediately to the left lane.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do you drive in the NYC area? That's what they do here. I've watched people merge onto a 3 lane highway with very little traffic and go immediately to the left lane.

That's not where I live but I've driven there many times. They do the same thing here. Drives me crazy! I think they feel safer in the left lane. That way they only have cars passing on one side.

UPS4Life

Wonder why ups picks and chooses which accidents they want to preach to us about. There were two tier 3's last week not one by a harrisburg driver and we get messages on our ivis about it. Does anyone else get "safety" messages during their day?
My point, we got messages about both tier 3's but not one about the fatality in jersey or this one.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Have you ever driven on either I-84 or I-91? I assure you that there is no such prohibition on either of those two multi-lane highways.
Yes I have driven on both numerous times, and yes I have passed on the right because the idiot drivers from NY who do not know what a right lane is, but about every 10 miles there is a sign that says it is illegal to pass on the right

bluehdmc

Wonder why ups picks and chooses which accidents they want to preach to us about. There were two tier 3's last week not one by a harrisburg driver and we get messages on our ivis about it. Does anyone else get "safety" messages during their day?
My point, we got messages about both tier 3's but not one about the fatality in jersey or this one.

Yeah, it's funny, someone gets into a sideswipe, (now called "merge" accident) at the Lincoln tunnel and it's over the IVIS in 20 min. When someone gets killed, nothing.
We get "safety" messages " Don't jump in puddles, it may be a pothole."
(stopped jumping in puddles when I was 8 and realized my feet would get wet)

"There's always room for Jello" (make sure you have space on all 4 sides) Jello is 107 yrs old.

Messages about Memorial Day accident statistics, and on and on, sometimes as many as 3 a day.