Momma I made it! (seniority)

Hello Brown Cafe! Long time lurker here, but I've finally made an account! I figured it was time to celebrate because I'm finally in the union. It's been a pretty long journey for me to get into UPS.

I applied years ago, but didn't receive a call back for about 3 months and accepted another job in that time frame. Then I started late in this most recent peak season, and got laid off in January, but they bought me back, and a short time ago I gained seniority.

I'm now doing the pre-load thing in NJ, and I'm just trying to get into the feeders or package car as soon as possible. The wait to one of these Full time positions isn't nearly as long as I've read on here from people in other parts of the country, so that's a plus.

But I just wanted to say hey to my fellow upsers, and let you guys know I've finally arrived, ANY TIPS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Enjoy your weekend guys!

DriverMD

As frowned upon as it may seem on this forum, I made friends with the driver sups. Not "lets get drinks" friends but I just learned how to get on each ones' good side. That may have helped me out as a driver, it may not have. In the mean time while you're loading or what not, just focus on your job. Try and get on your drivers' good sides, learn what stops they might want in what locations, etc. I did this when I was loading and as it turned out that they are the drivers in my center that I work deliver in so we'll help each other out if need be. I think that knowing the drivers and making their days better as a loader will make them respect you a lot more when you jump into full time.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Hello Brown Cafe! Long time lurker here, but I've finally made an account! I figured it was time to celebrate because I'm finally in the union. It's been a pretty long journey for me to get into UPS.

I applied years ago, but didn't receive a call back for about 3 months and accepted another job in that time frame. Then I started late in this most recent peak season, and got laid off in January, but they bought me back, and a short time ago I gained seniority.

I'm now doing the pre-load thing in NJ, and I'm just trying to get into the feeders or package car as soon as possible. The wait to one of these Full time positions isn't nearly as long as I've read on here from people in other parts of the country, so that's a plus.

But I just wanted to say hey to my fellow upsers, and let you guys know I've finally arrived, ANY TIPS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Enjoy your weekend guys!
I would change that user name if I were you.

Just saying.

As frowned upon as it may seem on this forum, I made friends with the driver sups. Not "lets get drinks" friends but I just learned how to get on each ones' good side. That may have helped me out as a driver, it may not have. In the mean time while you're loading or what not, just focus on your job. Try and get on your drivers' good sides, learn what stops they might want in what locations, etc. I did this when I was loading and as it turned out that they are the drivers in my center that I work deliver in so we'll help each other out if need be. I think that knowing the drivers and making their days better as a loader will make them respect you a lot more when you jump into full time.
Thanks DriverMD! I appreciate that advice!

I would change that user name if I were you.

Just saying.
Lol, I like the name. It's just a joke, I thought it was funny because I see supervisors get a lot of heat on here, I can see why, but I was prepared for it before I started working there just by reading a lot of these threads! I personally like my supervisors, and the one that was annoying quit hahaha! I've already been talked to about being in management, but thanks to the wealth of information on BrownCafe I think I'll stay away from that route. I've even had the supervisor who quit tell me he wishes he was still loading packages lol!