Monday only pick-ups that fall on a holiday.

ups1990

Can someone please explain, what are the procedures in place for Monday only pick ups that get missed due to a national holiday? This past Tuesday was a mess. The pu was not on the board, the shipper didn't call for a on call air pu, should the driver keep in mind that Tuesday is Monday, see now I'm confused.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you the regular driver on that area? If so, I think the burden falls on you to make sure that you at least contact the customer to see if there are outbound packages and, if there are, to make the pickup. If this pickup has been cut from your area, the burden again falls on you to make sure that the pickup is covered, either by getting with the PDS before leaving the building or by ODS to the OMS to make sure the pickup is covered. I would think that if you are the regular driver and have been on the route for awhile you should already know the procedure when Monday is actually Tuesday. If you are not the regular driver for that area you should follow the pickup log as it appears in your DIAD.

How many Monday only pickups are there in your center?

yeldarb

I have two pickups like that, and although the pick ups werent in the board, I went by anyways on Tuesday, and just did "unscheduled"

bigbrownhen

Same here. I have a Monday only, but it is always in the pick up log. I just skip over it the rest of the week. I went by on Tues just to see if they had anything going out. If it was a cover driver, then its not their responsibility if no one lets them know about a pick up.

This is a grey area that causes alot of service failures. I am not aware of any standard policies in place to avoid this, it is left up to the center team and the driver. I suppose it would be wise to make a list of such pick ups on the Friday before the holiday, and use the list to make sure all said pick ups will be covered on Tuesday. This would work for any holiday actually.

SWORDFISH

This question is just a matter of everyones personal opininion. You couldnt get in trouble for missing a p/up that was not thier. :peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Tuesday would now be Monday, and for that matter, if you have a p/u for a certain day that falls on a holiday, the next working day would be the regular p/u day for that week.

over9five

Staff member
Seems to me it would be easy for some computer geek to program this into the system (Monday only p/us are in the DIAD on Tuesdays after a holiday).

We have all this great technology, USE IT!

tranham

I have two pickups like that, and although the pick ups werent in the board, I went by anyways on Tuesday, and just did "unscheduled"

We are now banned from using unscheduled pickups in the board. Everything goes under special counts. No more credit for air or over 70s. Anyone else get this DIAD training?

Robert

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Back to the OP--it sounds as though these Monday only pickups would be ideal candidates for the new Smart Pickup initiative. I have several of these on my area and the way it works is if they don't process any packages by a cut off time (1400 on my area) I then receive an ODS alerting me that their pickup has been cancelled for the day and I don't have to stop. The pickup is then deleted from the log for that day. The pickup does have to be using our software (WorldShip) for this feature to work. This is ideal for those pickups that do not need daily service but do not want the hassle of calling for an OCA. The rate is $10 as opposed to the $20 for a daily pickup.

Robert, I stopped using unscheduled pickups a long time ago. If someone hands me a package off the street, I simply scan it and add it to one of my daily pickup stops, usually the UPS Store. The credit lost for doing so is neglible.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Back to the OP--it sounds as though these Monday only pickups would be ideal candidates for the new Smart Pickup initiative. I have several of these on my area and the way it works is if they don't process any packages by a cut off time (1400 on my area) I then receive an ODS alerting me that their pickup has been cancelled for the day and I don't have to stop. The pickup is then deleted from the log for that day. The pickup does have to be using our software (WorldShip) for this feature to work. This is ideal for those pickups that do not need daily service but do not want the hassle of calling for an OCA. The rate is $10 as opposed to the $20 for a daily pickup.

Robert, I stopped using unscheduled pickups a long time ago. If someone hands me a package off the street, I simply scan it and add it to one of my daily pickup stops, usually the UPS Store. The credit lost for doing so is neglible.

A package handed to you would be scanned into special counts prepaid. As far as missing a Monday pickup, let your mgmnt worry about it. They seem to do a nice job of planning to run too few areas the day before and after a holiday, they should be able to plan for potential missed pickups.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A package handed to you would be scanned into special counts prepaid. As far as missing a Monday pickup, let your mgmnt worry about it. They seem to do a nice job of planning to run too few areas the day before and after a holiday, they should be able to plan for potential missed pickups.

If the pickup was one of mine and I was off on that Tuesday I would concern myself with it by leaving a note in the PC reminding the cover driver to make the pickup. I would also remind the PDS before I left on Friday to make sure the pickup was covered on Tuesday.

As far as credit for the pkg handed to you, you are probably right, but it doesn't make that much difference to me. If I have a few of them, I will bring them in to my UPS Store (MBE) pickup, let them scan them for the $.50/per that they get from UPS, and then I will scan them and add them to my piece count at that stop. I am not that concerned about the credit.

My calendar shows every Monday follows a Sunday and Tuesday follows a Monday. All are different days. If there is a Friday only pickup that falls on a holiday, do we pick them up on Saturday? My point is that the p/u is only one day a week for a reason (probably to save money) Should we pick up Monday only pick ups 5 days a week now? It should be the pick ups responsibility to notify UPS if they need a pick up any other DAY than their pick up day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree. The bid driver should take care of this customer. If he knows that this is a Monday only pickup and that next Monday is a holiday he should check with them to see if they will need a pickup on Tuesday for that week only. If the bid driver will not be working on that Tuesday he needs to get with mgt team to ensure the pickup is covered. This should take all of about 30 seconds and will ensure the customer is taken care of.

ups1990

Seems to me it would be easy for some computer geek to program this into the system (Monday only p/us are in the DIAD on Tuesdays after a holiday).

Exactly. The pu should be displayed for Tuesday. Here we go again. We can put a man on the moon, but can't put a Monday pick up for Tuesday.

pretzel_man

Exactly. The pu should be displayed for Tuesday. Here we go again. We can put a man on the moon, but can't put a Monday pick up for Tuesday.

I assume you are talking about UPS Day Specific Pickup that was deployed in January. I'm certain that the DIAD will only get the pickup sent to it on the day of the week. It is not supposed to hold a Monday until Tuesday.

Here is info from UPS' web site:
Select which days of the week, Monday through Friday, you would like UPS to make scheduled pickups. UPS will only come on those days at your designated scheduled pickup time.
Up to four days can be selected per week.

No mention of what to do on a holiday. I've heard the presentation on these Smart Pickups, and never thought to ask the question about what happens on a holiday. I'm pretty sure the stance (right or wrong) will be that the customer will need to call if they need a pickup on a non-scheduled day after a holiday.

P-Man

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

P-man, the way Smart Pickups actually work is the pickup is in the pickup log daily but has a ? next to it. If the shipper has not processed a pkg by a cut off time, which is 1400 for the 2 SM pickups I have, then I receive an ODS telling me that the pickup is cancelled for the day and I don't have to stop. The pickup is then removed from the list. This doesn't really save me a lot of time as I drive by both of these P/U stops daily but I can see where it could be a huge timesaver if this were a country run.

I still think that the bid driver is the key to ensuring these Monday only pickups are taken care of when Monday is a holiday.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Monday's and Thursday's are Target Bank p/u's. These p/u's need to be done weekly and must be done Tuesday/Friday if the regular days are holidays. Why should they call if their regular p/u day was a holiday?

pretzel_man

P-man, the way Smart Pickups actually work is the pickup is in the pickup log daily but has a ? next to it. If the shipper has not processed a pkg by a cut off time, which is 1400 for the 2 SM pickups I have, then I receive an ODS telling me that the pickup is cancelled for the day and I don't have to stop. The pickup is then removed from the list. This doesn't really save me a lot of time as I drive by both of these P/U stops daily but I can see where it could be a huge timesaver if this were a country run.

I still think that the bid driver is the key to ensuring these Monday only pickups are taken care of when Monday is a holiday.

Monday's and Thursday's are Target Bank p/u's. These p/u's need to be done weekly and must be done Tuesday/Friday if the regular days are holidays. Why should they call if their regular p/u day was a holiday?

Upstate:

I used the naming conventions incorrectly. There were three new pickup options introduced in January....

1) Daily on Route - Pickups made in trace during the delivery
2) UPS Smart Pickup - Works just like you described. Pickups deleted from board if customer doesn't ship
3) Day-Specific Pickup - This is the one I was describing. Pickups only in board on planned shipping day.

Steve:
Since the OP said the pickup was not in his board, I assumed he was talking about a Day Specific Pickup customer.

If the customer you described signed up for Day Specific pickup, they would need to call the way the service is described (or at least the way the technology was designed. I'm guessing that in your case, that customer is a regular daily pickup?

P-Man

Raw

Raw Member
Are you the regular driver on that area? If so, I think the burden falls on you to make sure that you at least contact the customer to see if there are outbound packages and, if there are, to make the pickup. If this pickup has been cut from your area, the burden again falls on you to make sure that the pickup is covered, either by getting with the PDS before leaving the building or by ODS to the OMS to make sure the pickup is covered. I would think that if you are the regular driver and have been on the route for awhile you should already know the procedure when Monday is actually Tuesday. If you are not the regular driver for that area you should follow the pickup log as it appears in your DIAD.

How many Monday only pickups are there in your center?
I have a monday only pickup and was on vacation the week before the holiday, came to work tuesday and pickup wasn`t in board so I didn`t make it. Got an OCA at 6pm to make the pickup and customer asked what was the deal, the guy who did the route before me always made the pickup on the day after the holiday. I said sorry but we have a new system now (PAS) and your pickup wasn`t in my diad. I told him he needs to make arrangements for a pickup next time.