More likely career ender - injury or firing?

Snack

I’ve seen many posts here stating that a 30 year career in package cars is nearly impossible these days.

I always assumed this was because of the inevitable wear and tear on your body. But after a rash of nit-picky terminations and otherwise shady behavior on management’s part in my center, I’m beginning to think the real challenge is staying out of the crosshairs for any length of time.

For the seasoned vets out there, how do you do this job day in and day out while constantly dealing with management that seemingly wants to see you fail?

ManInBrown

The whole key to package is to never let them get to you. When they call you in the office be happy to go in. I didn’t care one bit. Smile, yes OK. Sure, I’ll try harder. They get pissed off and they move on to another target. Stand up for yourself, file, file, file. They prey on the weak. Believe me. You’re talking to a former package driver that slammed so many grievances up their you know what, they were coming out their throat. At the end they didnt even want to say hello to me. They steered very clear. I did the job the right way and if they boned me, they paid for it with 9.5 grievances. It’s the only way to survive.

reginald95

Just do your job the correct way every time. Report any accidents and don’t try to hide things that might seem minor. Lying by omission is just as bad as lying.

BestMgrEver

Hot girl summer
Well, wake the hell up. You certainly don’t do anything to make the job easier. Yeah it’s a physical job and always will be, but how about using technology for us instead of against? Work smarter not harder....

A good management team will setup the center to where it runs itself. This so-called 'seeing you fail' is more work for us. This center used to be a :censored2: show before I came. Now, I can kick my feet up and relax where the only issues that come up lately are just accidents which haven't been happening in a while. So no, we don't want to see anyone fail.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
This center used to be a :censored2: show before I came. Now, I can kick my feet up and relax where the only issues that come up lately are just accidents which haven't been happening in a while. So no, we don't want to see anyone fail.

2591247.jpg

Siveriano

Don't follow my methods unless you have the @#@! to do it but this is what I do.

Everything they tell my steward that im being summoned into the office, I just smile and laugh and joke on how they are going to try to get me and how I know i already have at least 2 answers for them (im able to do this because I know im just doing my job and nothing else.)

They will be like : yesterday you were over 350 clicks, my answer will be like, does that mean im gonna get a production bonus or does that means I was supposed to be back before my guarantee 8 hours? which mean you guys under dispatched me, why am i being discriminating and not been given enough work for my 8 hours?.

Another thing is that you have to let them know that you don't mind going home right after 8 hours or at the 14 hours mark, this way they have no power to give you more work and expect you to get done early. I myself have told them many times that I don't care if I go home by 530pm or by 1050pm either way is fine by me.

Last but probably most important is that remember this is just a JOB you get pay the time you work, if they sent you out with 10 hours of work fine, if is 8 hours fine too, but don't let this get into your head. If you center is like mine you can see at least 2 groups of people in the morning, those who get EDD 1 minute before the start time and those who come 1 hour early to argue why they have 10 stops from my route while im going home way earlier than them almost every day.

I’ve seen many posts here stating that a 30 year career in package cars is nearly impossible these days.

I always assumed this was because of the inevitable wear and tear on your body. But after a rash of nit-picky terminations and otherwise shady behavior on management’s part in my center, I’m beginning to think the real challenge is staying out of the crosshairs for any length of time.

For the seasoned vets out there, how do you do this job day in and day out while constantly dealing with management that seemingly wants to see you fail?
It may sound.old but work smarter not harder. Be efficient and try not to make too many mistakes

And don't let the mental BS get in your head, that's the hardest part to do.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A good management team will setup the center to where it runs itself. This so-called 'seeing you fail' is more work for us. This center used to be a :censored2: show before I came. Now, I can kick my feet up and relax where the only issues that come up lately are just accidents which haven't been happening in a while. So no, we don't want to see anyone fail.
408614C2-A92F-44D9-A87D-FDC67237F616.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

30 years is easy. The key is a easy route.

More importantly, get divorced. You will be broke because she will get paid by you month after month for many years. You will have to work!

35years

Gravy route
Don't let management and their stupid games affect you.
Yes, the jerks will try to set you up by planting miss-loads, push your buttons by harassing you etc.
They have nothing else to do. Realize most took the job so they would not have to do actual work.
You are the professional who actually adds value to the company. Ignore that crap.

Do your job according to the methods. Don't run...It only causes you to do things which could get you fired.
I had a route that I was 1-2 hours over daily for 4 years.
Took a different route and was 1/2 hour early daily.
I hadn't changed any of my methods or effort.
So realize the production numbers are BS, and management knows it.

Unless you are purposely trying to steal time, are dishonest, or ignore the safety rules or delivery methods there is nothing to worry about.
Pretend you work for the Post Office for an idea of how fast to work. Brisk pace is BS. FAIR day's work for 10-14 hours is not brisk!

You will sleep well and won't have to worry about audits, observations etc. if you just work at a normal person pace, doing your best to do the job correctly. And if you make mistakes, Oh well.
Ride with me, Oh well. Don't change a thing. I will probably be more over allowed because all my methods will be perfect.
Have a small accident, Oh well. I did my best. Only the serious ones can get you permanently terminated.

You will get an occasional warning letter. Just grieve it and don't do it again for 9 months. No big deal.
Management's opinion of me matters about as much as my 5th grade teacher's opinion, who I have not seen in 45 years.