most memorable moment ever at UPS

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
worst day? too many to pinpoint just one.

a couple best days. my 30th day when I knew I was going to be able to support my family well. my first paid holiday when I called my dad and told him I was having a drink and getting paid for it. and my last day when I walked through the guard shack.

clean hairy

When the company showed us appreciation with founders day cookouts, open houses, and the holiday turkeys.
Now, they show appreciation by treating us like poop ever day!

SCV good to go sir.

I have quite a few, the first one to come to my mind after seeing this topic was during the week of training right after one gets hired. The second day of which, the other new hire and I were taken to the preload to work for 30 minutes to get a feel for the job. He seemed to handle it just fine but I was struggling. Nothing memorable about it to be honest, but it was my first real experience with hard labor. The experience was the start of a very long reality check for me.

In retrospect that first year was very tough as I was acclimating to working hard physically at UPS and mentally during my first year of university. I'm surprised I gained seniority considering my performance.

browntroll

when i started in a class of 30 on a monday and by friday i was 1 of 6 left.
favorite moment was a few years back i decided to have fun so i sent those red and white striped high value bags onto a belt, i saw
a loss prevention guy and 2 supervisors trying to run after them. they came back asking "why would you do that those are high value"
i said "its my job to unload, did i need to throw them on the small sort belt" thats when they just walked away pissed off.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have quite a few, the first one to come to my mind after seeing this topic was during the week of training right after one gets hired. The second day of which, the other new hire and I were taken to the preload to work for 30 minutes to get a feel for the job. He seemed to handle it just fine but I was struggling. Nothing memorable about it to be honest, but it was my first real experience with hard labor. The experience was the start of a very long reality check for me.

In retrospect that first year was very tough as I was acclimating to working hard physically at UPS and mentally during my first year of university. I'm surprised I gained seniority considering my performance.
"that which does not kill you makes you stronger."

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
So many...one that comes to mind though was when I walked to the rear of the house to DR the package properly and was met by a blond completely naked and she didn't even try to cover up. I stayed for some lemonade!
I really love your peaches. Want to shake your tree.

Rain Shield

Mine was when Ron Carey was on the news and said we were going on strike at midnight.

I come from a conservative family. My dad was in management in his company. I am still conservative to this day.

I remember being young, dumb, and scared. My dad told me to man up and get my butt down to that picket line. He said I signed up for it, and I had to go over that hill as if I was in the military.

After a week, we were at a family gathering. I had to leave early to go to the picket line. Another family member, who used to be in management at Eastern Airlines, said we should all be fired. I guess he was not management material, because he did not know law.

Anyway, my dad chimed in and took upnfor me. Be told this jerk of an extended family member that we all would not have 40 hour work weeks, child labor laws, paid vacations, and Holidays if Unions had not fought for them first.

I always respected my dad, but those 2 weeks he supported me in an endeavour that he did not 100% agree with, but backed his son, and pushed me to do what was right.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
My most memorable was 9/11/01. That day in ingrained on my memory. I remember when I heard about how the first plane flew into the tower when I stopped to get a soda and a pack of smokes. The cashier and I just kind of laughed because what idiot would fly into a building? As the morning progressed the news kept getting more dire. First the second plane, then the Pentagon, finally United 93. I remember being at a bulk stop when the radio announced the collapse of the towers. The receiving guy and I just prayed. Later, I was at a residential stop when I heard fighter planes going after a small Cessna that didn't think it had to land. I remember pickups closing early and messaging the center on what we should tell our customers about no air service. That day was my most memorable.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Most memorable, I have a few.

When I was on Local Sort, I got ticked off and punched the hell out of the back of a PC, nearly busted my hand.

Backed a PC into the corner of an empty trailer in the yard when I was on Local sort, did quite a bit of damage to the PC.

Negotiating with the hub manager when I was PT, they denied my optional for my birthday, so I told him I'd call out. I was a hell of an unloader / carwasher that they needed me too badly, so he bought me a nice bottle of Jack Daniels.

Getting the call that I made it into Feeders, though was probably the best.

25TOLIFE

I wish I could share a naked woman coming to the door story. I think 99% of those stories are BS anyway. I did have a bad few days of 95 degrees in a row and became so badly chafed I needed that Friday off. Burnt my beans to a crisp!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
My most memorable was 9/11/01. That day in ingrained on my memory. I remember when I heard about how the first plane flew into the tower when I stopped to get a soda and a pack of smokes. The cashier and I just kind of laughed because what idiot would fly into a building? As the morning progressed the news kept getting more dire. First the second plane, then the Pentagon, finally United 93. I remember being at a bulk stop when the radio announced the collapse of the towers. The receiving guy and I just prayed. Later, I was at a residential stop when I heard fighter planes going after a small Cessna that didn't think it had to land. I remember pickups closing early and messaging the center on what we should tell our customers about no air service. That day was my most memorable.
Yep. Same here joe, I remember vividly delivering an envelope to an office, the lady who was signing told me about it , we were standing there in shock staring at a tv they had ,then this a- hole in a suit comes in and yells at her telling her he needs this and that.She informed him what was going on, he stormed off repeating his demands , not even caring........