mostly a question for feeder drivers

City Driver

rumor has it were getting some brand new, used:biting: tractors in our fleet and some of them are 7 speeds

ive never drove a 7 speed, whats the gear pattern?

we have alot of 8 speeds and i dont care for them, i prefer a straight 10 or even a super 10 over an 8 speed

raceanoncr

The cabinet-over Volvos we had a few yrs ago had 7s. Easy pattern. Just simple additional H-pattern. 1st and reverse shared same line then over for 2, down for 3 and so on til yer done. Don't know if yours'll be the same. Again (having to qualify every statement I make), HERE, that's what we had.

I think we got all 10s now. Of course, started with the 5-sp, then those 7-sps, then some 8 and even 9. Yeah, 10 is better but automatic sure would be nice. Thot I was gonna get Popeye leg in Chicago traffic a few times startin and stoppin.

Partner didn't want nuttin to do with automatics but I drove one almost 40 years ago in a Diamond Reo conventional. 6-sp Allison with a 3-sp splitter. I hated it at first cuz I wanted to jam gears but when I got used to it you had to pry my booger-filled hands to let go.

City Driver

i prefer the straight 10s, i dont have an assigned tractor anymore because i dont get alot of time delivering in the city anymore, so i get stuck with the junk tractors, and as im sure you know a sore left leg comes with the job

i wouldnt mind an automatic but i dont think it will ever happen...not here atleast....i hear theres fully automatic tractors and "autoshift" tractors, where it still has a clutch to start and stop

i hear from alot of road drivers that the talk is our entire fleet will be super 10s eventually...why i dont know....you either swear by the super 10, or swear at the super 10

Don`t know what it would be in as the Internationals,Macks,Sterlings,and Fords we have are all 8`s. You can have our Internationals if you want them.

City Driver

Don`t know what it would be in as the Internationals,Macks,Sterlings,and Fords we have are all 8`s. You can have our Internationals if you want them.

anything to get rid of these prehistoric White GMCs we got

i hate them, old junkers....clutches need adjusted and shifter is too lose, you go into 3rd/7th and you smash your hand against the dash

id adjust the clutch myself but i drive different ones all the time, not worth the trouble

Not to make you feel bad but the only GMC I`ve seen was used as a shifting horse at a small barn. I started with cabover Macks,and Volvos (my favorite). Long nose Macks were for the senior guys. Now thats what I have and though I could get something new I won`t give mine up.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I like the 10 speed in my Sterling. Of course, I only use 9, and that 5-6 split can catch you if you aren't careful. I think a lot of it has to do with the engine also. My detroit is sweet, with lots of torque to pull. I have driven some of the new Internationals also, and I hate those things. Tranny is the same, but the cummins just doesn't get it done sometimes.
I started in a cabover International. It had a nine speed,(H pattern, then Hi range, and start all over). The problem was that there was so much slop in the gear shift, that finding a gear out of sequence was damn near impossiable. It was a great sleeping tractor however. I also drove a 5 speed- You had to use all 5, and wind it out just as tight as you could to get it to do anything.

City Driver

I like the 10 speed in my Sterling. Of course, I only use 9, and that 5-6 split can catch you if you aren't careful. I think a lot of it has to do with the engine also. My detroit is sweet, with lots of torque to pull. I have driven some of the new Internationals also, and I hate those things. Tranny is the same, but the cummins just doesn't get it done sometimes.
I started in a cabover International. It had a nine speed,(H pattern, then Hi range, and start all over). The problem was that there was so much slop in the gear shift, that finding a gear out of sequence was damn near impossiable. It was a great sleeping tractor however. I also drove a 5 speed- You had to use all 5, and wind it out just as tight as you could to get it to do anything.

in a 10 speed i only use 3-9 most of the time, u can take 9th up around 55-60mph and still be under 1900 rpm in most of our tractors....start out in 3rd, 4th if bobtailing, 2nd if on a hill heavy

and the 5th to 6th switch isnt hard on must trucks, but the ones with the real loose shifter thats got all kinds of play, that makes it more difficult, atleast in my opinion

City Driver

i didnt ask how to drive the truck i asked what the gear pattern is

as in where are the slots for each gear, thats not even close to asking how to drive a truck

i was curious cuz i never drove a 7 speed

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you guys still have the International single-screw COE's with the 7-speed "rock-crusher" in them? When I worked as a peak feeder temp I'd almost always get stuck with one. The regular guys hated to drive them. Whenever I'd get a Ford or Mack on the NDA run I'd feel blessed.

bluehdmc

Do you guys still have the International single-screw COE's with the 7-speed "rock-crusher" in them? When I worked as a peak feeder temp I'd almost always get stuck with one. The regular guys hated to drive them. Whenever I'd get a Ford or Mack on the NDA run I'd feel blessed.

Thank God they're all gone, I got stuck in one for a while, every 4th bump bobtail it would pop out of gear.
I liked the COE macks a little more, although with the 5 speed, when you went from 3-4 you thought you missed a gear but they'd just chug along.

rocket man

YOR SO SMART T he last time i checked you have to put the truck in gear to drive it . That includes using the gear pattern . now i know you really suck .

tieguy

Banned
Not to make you feel bad but the only GMC I`ve seen was used as a shifting horse at a small barn. I started with cabover Macks,and Volvos (my favorite). Long nose Macks were for the senior guys. Now thats what I have and though I could get something new I won`t give mine up.

you may be the only person I've seen who likes the cabover volvos.

tae111

I don't believe they are making any more 7 speed tractors. The cab-over interntionals and Volvos had them. I don't know of any areas in the USA that still use cab-overs. UPS now buys tractors from International, Mack, and while they can still get them, Sterling, as they are not making any more. I think all the new ones have 10 speeds.

tae111

I've seen a few new International ProStar tractors. We don't have any yet but they look like a pretty nice ride. I talked to a driver from another district who had a new one and he liked it. Still had spring ride though. Maybe someday UPS will figure out that air ride is better for the truck in the long run. Also better for the driver and the load.

Highwayman

I have a new Sterling(2008). Great truck 10 speed. 455 hp have had some issues with emissions. Started with 5 speed friend model Mack, MH, 263 International (9 speed), and now the sterling.:happy-very: