Moving to 22.3 Shifter/Unloader. Wage?

How does the wage work?

• You work for "feeders." $18.75/hr.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Shifters are "inside." $15.00/hr.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • $18.75/hr for shifting; $15.00/hr for unloading.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
I got the phone call this week to go to shifter school and then go 22.3 shifter/unloader. I've been seeing conflicting things here, and the contract doesn't seem to answer the question sufficiently. Package/feeder drivers start at $18.75/hr, and "inside" is $15.00. Shifters at my hub (Local 767) work for feeder department. How does this pay out?

Also, any tips for not failing out of shifter school and looking like an idiot? :D Thanks.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
The 22.3 "shifter/unloader" is 99% likely to be moving package cars in the building, or in the yard. It's not a feeder position.

Shifters don't move package cars in my building to my knowledge. That's for the car wash guys. It's moving trailers with these:
3833541-0-13356011.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We don't have 22.3 "shifters", those are feeder dept. jobs and are FT shifters.
We do have 22.3 "vehicle positioners" that are "shifters" of package cars for the inside lineup.

Regardless, if your job is a "22.3" job, it's going to begin at the 22.3 rate and not the PC/Feeder starting rate.

Again, that is just locally. I'm well aware of what a feeder shifter is. LOL If that's the case, we don't have those type of combo jobs here.

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I got the phone call this week to go to shifter school and then go 22.3 shifter/unloader. I've been seeing conflicting things here, and the contract doesn't seem to answer the question sufficiently. Package/feeder drivers start at $18.75/hr, and "inside" is $15.00. Shifters at my hub (Local 767) work for feeder department. How does this pay out?

Also, any tips for not failing out of shifter school and looking like an idiot? :D Thanks.

Contract is pretty specific in what a 22.3 wages are.
"Section 3. Full-time Inside Wages
The rates in this Section shall not apply to any full-time inside jobs
guaranteed in Article 22, Section 2 created prior to August 1, 1997.
Rather, for employees entering those jobs, Article 41, Section 2 (c)
above shall apply.
Part-time employees whose rates are higher than those set forth
below who bid into a full-time inside job covered by this Section
shall be paid their current inside wage rate plus the general wage
increases.
Other part-time employees who bid into a full-time inside job cov-
ered by this Section will be red circled at their current wage rate
until such time as the calculated progression rate set forth below
exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time
start date for purposes of applying the progression set forth below.
A part-time employee shall not lose the red circle protection provid-
ed by this paragraph as a result of transferring from one full-time
inside job to another full-time inside job.
Start $15.00
Seniority plus 12 months $16.00
Seniority plus 24 months $17.00
Seniority plus 36 months $20.00
Seniority plus 48 months Top Rate
The Top Rate shall be $26.74 plus the general wage increases pro-
vided in Section 1 above"

km3

(That's right. I got this with less than 3 years with the company. Woohoo!)

Congratulations! The fastest way to get a combo job here is to go driving, then bid back inside. Might take 2-3.5 years from the date of hire. Straight from PT might take 10-15 years. More and more drivers are deciding that they've had enough and are signing the lists, making it harder for PTers.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
Congratulations! The fastest way to get a combo job here is to go driving, then bid back inside. Might take 2-3.5 years from the date of hire. Straight from PT might take 10-15 years. More and more drivers are deciding that they've had enough and are signing the lists, making it harder for PTers.

I'm going to sound like an idiot when I say this. They had called me last week also offering a "driving" job. I asked if they were talking about package cars, and they said 'yes.' Went through the questions. OK. I then told them I had failed a road test earlier (for TCD), so I thought I was ineligible. Thought about it later and realized that the HR lady was asking me about CDL stuff. Yeah, I think it was a call for feeders. Doesn't help that the HR lady didn't know what she was talking about, therefore I didn't know either. At least I was honest. :-/

Nonetheless, staying inside is probably the right move for my kids anyhow. UPS is expanding in our area and opening a new hub close by in a year or so, so I'm not expecting too much difficulty moving to 'outside' driving if I feel like it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I say go for it, if you're really desperate for FT work that pays pretty well. The longer you wait, the less pension credits you'll have and the less seniority you'll have in comparison to other groups that go FT before you.