Moving to newly built UPS building.

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
UPS is almost finished with a new building in my area that will take routes from 4-5 buildings in 2 different counties. One of my stewards has told me of the tentative terms our BA is negotiating for employees moving there. It is basically a voluntary quit and rehire, but you will keep your years accumulated toward pension. They are going to open after the new contract. Before I speak to my BA , I wanted to get input. UPS cannot be trusted to do the fair thing. How are they going to settle the seniority date for 40-50 new drivers?

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

My current building is a special case. We are a small part-time air driver only building. We would not be following our work. The center will stay open and not lose any work. The contract specifies dovetailing seniority for following work, but that's not what we would be doing. Right?

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
UPS is almost finished with a new building in my area that will take routes from 4-5 buildings in 2 different counties. One of my stewards has told me of the tentative terms our BA is negotiating for employees moving there. It is basically a voluntary quit and rehire, but you will keep your years accumulated toward pension. They are going to open after the new contract. Before I speak to my BA , I wanted to get input. UPS cannot be trusted to do the fair thing. How are they going to settle the seniority date for 40-50 new drivers?
Don't do it. Put your name on the transfer list.

barnyard

KTM rider
This is where the union is going to earn their dues. If I were the BA, I would advise everyone to NOT sign an intent to quit and move. UPS is counting on many to do this. If no one does it, they will allow transfers, which will also allow those that move to maintain pay.

UPS is doing this to save money.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They have to accept transfers before hiring off the street. I would put in for a transfer. Or classification transfer if you want a full time job

ManInBrown

Wait wait wait. Hold on one second. Your route is being moved to a new building, and they want you to quit and be rehired? And start off at beginner pay and wait four years OT get to full rate? You’re kidding me.

john chesney

Quit rehire my ass. You better call the international and start filling grievances

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
bruh my 8 ye... months of seniority are important to me. No way they would get me to quit for anything.

Seems like you get zippered in automatically if 50% of your work is at the new center.
Otherwise you transfer (definitely no quitting and rehiring) to the new center.

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

This is where the union is going to earn their dues. If I were the BA, I would advise everyone to NOT sign an intent to quit and move. UPS is counting on many to do this. If no one does it, they will allow transfers, which will also allow those that move to maintain pay.

UPS is doing this to save money.
Thanks for the response. You are absolutely right. It's a gamble though because the last chance my small building allowed our part-time drivers to go full time in another building was 9 years ago. If I don't do this now, who knows when the next opportunity might arise. I already have 11 years part-time in the company.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Whenever a center or hub is partially closed and the work of
package drivers and all other regular employees, part-time and full-
time, excluding feeder drivers, is transferred to or absorbed by
another center, the affected employees may either follow their work
and have their seniority dovetailed in the new center or be allowed
to exercise their seniority in their present center and displace the
least senior employee in their respective classifications. If any of
the employees whose work is transferred elects not to follow his/her
work, then he or she shall have the same rights as the remaining
employees on the seniority list from which the work was transferred
to bid the work being transferred. Those employees who follow the
work shall have their seniority dovetailed in the new center.

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Wait wait wait. Hold on one second. Your route is being moved to a new building, and they want you to quit and be rehired? And start off at beginner pay and wait four years OT get to full rate? You’re kidding me.
No. My small building is 95% part-time air drivers. There are no bid routes in our bldg. We deliver EAMs for the whole county and 10:30 NDA for certain zip codes. The air volume was too much for the surrounding bldgs to handle, so they built my bldg 15-17 years ago. The new building will not be taking work away from us. There is no work to follow. That's the problem.