Moving to newly built UPS building.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No. My small building is 95% part-time air drivers. There are no bid routes in our bldg. We deliver EAMs for the whole county and 10:30 NDA for certain zip codes. The air volume was too much for the surrounding bldgs to handle, so they built my bldg 15-17 years ago. The new building will not be taking work away from us. There is no work to follow. That's the problem.
If they're not planning on taking any work away from your building then why are they having this discussion with your BA?

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
Whenever a center or hub is partially closed and the work of
package drivers and all other regular employees, part-time and full-
time, excluding feeder drivers, is transferred to or absorbed by
another center, the affected employees may either follow their work
and have their seniority dovetailed in the new center or be allowed
to exercise their seniority in their present center and displace the
least senior employee in their respective classifications. If any of
the employees whose work is transferred elects not to follow his/her
work, then he or she shall have the same rights as the remaining
employees on the seniority list from which the work was transferred
to bid the work being transferred. Those employees who follow the
work shall have their seniority dovetailed in the new center.
That's the problem. We are not being absorbed and our work is not leaving our small part-time air driver bldg. They are taking routes from other bldgs in our area, so those drivers can just transfer. We are a small bldg that only does EAM's and 10:30 NDA. We have no bid routes. We have no work to follow. I would to be able to transfer and retain seniority and pay. I need to figure out how to do this.

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

If they're not planning on taking any work away from your building then why are they having this discussion with your BA?[/QUOT
If they're not planning on taking any work away from your building then why are they having this discussion with your BA?
We have part-timers drivers who have been waiting to get full-time driving positions. We deliver EAM's and 10:30s for 3 different bldgs, but yet we are not allowed to bid for full-time positions at any of those bldgs because the company says we are a stand alone bldg. So I and many others have 8-11 years with the company and the only way for us to go full-time is to agree to this deal. I am just trying to see if we can do better.

john chesney

That's the problem. We are not being absorbed and our work is not leaving our small part-time air driver bldg. They are taking routes from other bldgs in our area, so those drivers can just transfer. We are a small bldg that only does EAM's and 10:30 NDA. We have no bid routes. We have no work to follow. I would to be able to transfer and retain seniority and pay. I need to figure out how to do this.
Are you one of those drive your own car people they hired at Christmas. If not it sounds like where your at is damn close to it

john chesney

My current building is a special case. We are a small part-time air driver only building. We would not be following our work. The center will stay open and not lose any work. The contract specifies dovetailing seniority for following work, but that's not what we would be doing. Right?
Hate to say it but if this is the case you could be screwed.Id still file a grievance I’ve seen stranger things happen

john chesney

UPS is almost finished with a new building in my area that will take routes from 4-5 buildings in 2 different counties. One of my stewards has told me of the tentative terms our BA is negotiating for employees moving there. It is basically a voluntary quit and rehire, but you will keep your years accumulated toward pension. They are going to open after the new contract. Before I speak to my BA , I wanted to get input. UPS cannot be trusted to do the fair thing. How are they going to settle the seniority date for 40-50 new drivers?
I know one thing you quit and rehire you may never see the inside of a Ups building again

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Hate to say it but if this is the case you could be screwed.Id still file a grievance I’ve seen stranger things happen
We most likely are screwed. There is no language in the contract for this specific situation. That's why we have been stuck at this bldg for so long. We are on island most of the year. When peak rolls around, then we become sooo popular. I am not sure of the reason why the union can't do anything. I can only speculate that we are a small amount part-time drivers in a small center and we can't make enough noise. We have tried.

john chesney

We most likely are screwed. There is no language in the contract for this specific situation. That's why we have been stuck at this bldg for so long. We are on island most of the year. When peak rolls around, then we become sooo popular. I am not sure of the reason why the union can't do anything. I can only speculate that we are a small amount part-time drivers in a small center and we can't make enough noise. We have tried.
I’m going to say this again file a grievance to be able to get the jobs before people of the street. Off the top of my head I’d file it on seniority,maintenance of standards and anything else I could come up with. Take it to the panel.You have been paying dues I would work out a deal where you didn’t have to quit and be rehired off the street if I was on panel or deadlock to JAC

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I’m going to say this again file a grievance to be able to get the jobs before people of the street. Off the top of my head I’d file it on seniority,maintenance of standards and anything else I could come up with. Take it to the panel.You have been paying dues I would work out a deal where you didn’t have to quit and be rehired off the street if I was on panel or deadlock to JAC
I don't know, I would probably wait and see what the BA can do first. Keep in mind that since this isn't a change of operations involving the OP's building the company is under no contractual obligation to let these guys transfer at all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know, I would probably wait and see what the BA can do first. Keep in mind that since this isn't a change of operations involving the OP's building the company is under no contractual obligation to let these guys transfer at all.

Let the BA do his/her job before putting pen to paper.

john chesney

I agree with you I thought he already talked to the BA and the BA agreed with the companies position. I apologize and he should let the BA know his feelings about this first