Moving up?

Moving up?

• Total voters

Gilgamehs

Just finished my 30 days the other week. Started as a preloader. Did a day of sort before my 30 days. My sup as a preloader seemed to like me. I've always tried to work hard and it seemed like i was getting compliments (by that I mean I was barely meeting requirements haha).

Anyway I got moved to unloading trailers the other day (don't know if i like it yet, def a lot more physical) Head sup said it wasn't because I was doing a bad job. I can't tell if it's a sign of moving up/that I'm doing well, or if I sucked. My main goal with ups is to just move up the ranks slowly so I'm wondering if this is a sign I'm on track, if it's just normal middle ground, or a sign that I sucked.

I noticed people who didn't do well moved to sort or small sort, but unloading is in the same area so I'm unsure.

Anyone know how the ups tier works? Is there one? Does it matter? Main goal like everyone else is to be a driver.

Edit:
Moving up was a bad phrase. I meant more like is it a sign that I suck that I was moved

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Just finished my 30 days the other week. Started as a preloader. Did a day of sort before my 30 days. My sup as a preloader seemed to like me. I've always tried to work hard and it seemed like i was getting compliments (by that I mean I was barely meeting requirements haha).

Anyway I got moved to unloading trailers the other day (don't know if i like it yet, def a lot more physical) Head sup said it wasn't because I was doing a bad job. I can't tell if it's a sign of moving up/that I'm doing well, or if I sucked. My main goal with ups is to just move up the ranks slowly so I'm wondering if this is a sign I'm on track, if it's just normal middle ground, or a sign that I sucked.

I noticed people who didn't do well moved to sort or small sort, but unloading is in the same area so I'm unsure.

Anyone know how the ups tier works? Is there one? Does it matter? Main goal like everyone else is to be a driver.

Yep

Next stop 55 Glenlake Pkwy

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down

The only way to move in the union from part time preloaded or unloader is to be full time. That requires seniority in most cases and timing. Being moved is not a sign of moving up as much is the unload needed more help then the preload. If you want to become a driver I suggest doing seasonal and seeing if you can perform the job first. This will also get your foot in the door to show the center manager you are driving material and the supervisor's will not have to baby sit you when you do make full time driver. Or take a in building job for full time, my question is how long can you wait for full time? Could take 5 years like my case or 2 years depending on center and need for full time driver's.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Preload. Cozy up to drivers each day. Go helper as often as possible. air driving too.

They simply move you to where you are needed. You don't need to do preload but it is the easiest way to network with drivers and become their be..

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You are a body, and a new one at that.

You will be placed where you are needed on a daily basis.

Gilgamehs

The only way to move in the union from part time preloaded or unloader is to be full time. That requires seniority in most cases and timing. Being moved is not a sign of moving up as much is the unload needed more help then the preload. If you want to become a driver I suggest doing seasonal and seeing if you can perform the job first. This will also get your foot in the door to show the center manager you are driving material and the supervisor's will not have to baby sit you when you do make full time driver. Or take a in building job for full time, my question is how long can you wait for full time? Could take 5 years like my case or 2 years depending on center and need for full time driver's.

I realize how seniority works at ups. I'm expecting 2 years ish, and i know I'll need to sign for the temp driving position yada yada position...

I was more wondering if this move was a good sign of what management thinks of me, or neutral/bad.

My understanding is it doesn't matter they had a hole to fill.

I guess moving up was a bad way to phrase it I meant more a good sign or a bad sign

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
You’re on your way, brother!!!
DD867623-4999-44DB-9258-1A3F7FB21960.gif

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I realize how seniority works at ups. I'm expecting 2 years ish, and i know I'll need to sign for the temp driving position yada yada position...

I was more wondering if this move was a good sign of what management thinks of me, or neutral/bad.

My understanding is it doesn't matter they had :censored2: to fill.

I guess moving up was a bad way to phrase it I meant more a good sign or a bad sign
did you have misloads? if you only had one or two in a 30 say period then it was probably just a neutral thing. Don't let it get to you Go ahead and request to go back to loading PCs if you want.

BigBrown87

My understanding is it doesn't matter they had :censored2: to fill.

It does not matter what some part time supervisor thinks of you to move up down sideways whatever you want to call it. Just do your job and show up simple as that nothing to think about. Put in the time and take the opportunity to go driving got it rookie.

Gilgamehs

It does not matter what some part time supervisor thinks of you to move up down sideways whatever you want to call it. Just do your job and show up simple as that nothing to think about. Put in the time and take the opportunity to go driving got it rookie.

Its more of a personal accomplishment/ocd

Gilgamehs

UPS is the wrong place if your looking for accomplishment, if you are getting more work then your coworkers then feel accomplished I guess.

I'm no idiot I just don't want to suck at my job. I've worked for a union before and ik the bs companies pull, he'l ups is already starting some bs with me in other ways. I was just wondering if this is a tactic they use

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I'm no idiot I just don't want to suck at my job. I've worked for a union before and ik the bs companies pull, he'l ups is already starting some bs with me in other ways. I was just wondering if this is a tactic they use
They will use any and every tactic possible to increase your productivity as an object with bipedal motion and arms. Find friends: old timers, drivers, shop stewards for the dirty details. I would put in as much distance from management as possible. Lest they discover something that bothers you and use it to their advantage.

BigBrown87

If you have worked for unions before why worry then, you know you have protections from management. Management will do whatever it takes to make their numbers, so find a pace stick with it and stop making a mole hill into a mountain. Do your job and show up that's all they can expect from you and you will be fine.

Gilgamehs

They will use any and every tactic possible to increase your productivity as an object with bipedal motion and arms. Find friends: old timers, drivers, shop stewards for the dirty details. I would put in as much distance from management as possible. Lest they discover something that bothers you and use it to their advantage.

True

Gilgamehs

If you have worked for unions before why worry then, you know you have protections from management. Management will do whatever it takes to make their numbers, so find a pace stick with it and stop making a mole hill into a mountain. Do your job and show up that's all they can expect from you and you will be fine.

Ik man. I just keep my head down and go. Thanks for the advice, it's people like you who remind me what ups is really like and what it will do in the long run