Multiple Diads?

evilleace

We have drivers who leave early to deliver EAM packages and they take a board but a second one is shuttled out to them with the rest of their packages and the second board has their EDD in it.

Christmas

Well we don’t have that going on here just two or three different routes on one truck with multiple routes I have no clue. I see drivers having 3 boards at times. Like 20c 40b and 10c routes on one truck with 3 boards.

BrownArmy

Well we don’t have that going on here just two or three different routes on one truck with multiple routes I have no clue. I see drivers having 3 boards at times. Like 20c 40b and 10c routes on one truck with 3 boards.

It's because management came up with "that route" at the last minute, with no time to make it right in the computer system. Meaning, every DIAD has a specific amount of addresses it can encompass...if the address isn't downloaded into a DIAD, scanning that package will show up as an 'override'.

Since management doesn't want a bunch of 'overrides', it's easier for them to send a driver out with three DIADS (at the last minute) than it is to cook one DIAD with all the appropriate address information.

One time I was sent out on a suicide mission...the dispatch guy was nowhere around, center manager was AWOL, it was bat-s@#$ as usual, so I took a random DIAD, downloaded EDD, and went about my day. Every single stop I sheeted was an 'override', which evidently sank the entire center's numbers on some report or another, and I GOT A VERY STERN TALKING TO THE NEXT DAY.

Gosh, I can buy a 16gb USB stick for like $10. Hopefully 'the powers that be' will work in a lot more memory capacity into the DIAD V...

satellitedriver

Simple math.
3 routes for the price of one.
The books are being cooked three ways from Sunday trying to show a profit.
This new and improved "logistic"approach to meet the "metrics" is the first death knell of this once proud company.
IMHO

rocket man

and why are there people layed off?

bigbrownhen

Ha, before EDD, if they told you to grab more than one Diad, you knew you were over-dispatched. Guaranteed 12hr day. Now, at peak it's normal to have a diad for your helper, usually one of the older versions. Get the mandatory number of stops in it and put that thing in the back. Slows you down trying to remember how to run the thing after being used to the new version.

I have seen the multiple diads more often in the last year or so. If you watch, that poor driver will get a very sympathetic look from all the other drivers. We all know what kind of day said driver will have, never a good one.

CustomerConcern

Could it be that they are carrying sattelite volume to the other drivers? We have that here, just tailload the other route, and the driver downloads EDD for the routes then takes it to the meet point.

Christmas

Acutally saw a driver shuttle some boxes for an route to day. He took a broad for that stop, but that is the first time I have ever seen that happen.

pretzel_man

Simple math.
3 routes for the price of one.
The books are being cooked three ways from Sunday trying to show a profit.
This new and improved "logistic"approach to meet the "metrics" is the first death knell of this once proud company.
IMHO

Satellite:

I am aware of no metric this helps. No management report it improves.

If you know of one, I'm interested.

P-Man

Dragon

Package Center Manager
We have drivers who leave early to deliver EAM packages and they take a board but a second one is shuttled out to them with the rest of their packages and the second board has their EDD in it.

Not sure why they are doing that. Any work "edd" the driver does not get in his diad, shows in discrepancy on ODSe, OMS just sends to his DIAD. Its in stop for stop order. All centers have it just have to know how to use it.

brownrod

I had two DIADS today. First DIAD was for a bulk truck with several deliveries that floats around between different drivers depending on who is underdispatched for the day. Second DIAD for my normal deliveries.

some1else

Banned
I was told when you have over 1200(i think) pieces you need second diad. Used to cover a stop that would be about 1500 and you tried to split half and half. Havent done it sincd diad iii so dont know if iv can handle more pieces

satellitedriver

Satellite:

I am aware of no metric this helps. No management report it improves.

If you know of one, I'm interested.

P-Man
The simple metric of stops per car.
Demanded by the DM morning conference call and the add/ cuts route drops that ensue 30 minutes before start time.
I have not had a day under 10.5 hrs in the past 7 months, while full time drivers are being sent home daily due to not enough volume.
As you said,
"I am aware of no metric this helps".
and we are in total agreement.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
They can put all the work in one DIAD. It takes a little effort.

lol, That's implying management ever puts effort into their job. I thought it was managements job to issue warning letters, read and give reports, and hit the corporate food pellet bar when they are hungry.

pretzel_man

The simple metric of stops per car.
Demanded by the DM morning conference call and the add/ cuts route drops that ensue 30 minutes before start time.
I have not had a day under 10.5 hrs in the past 7 months, while full time drivers are being sent home daily due to not enough volume.
As you said,
"I am aware of no metric this helps".
and we are in total agreement.
Still not sure I understand.... Stops per car?

Two DIADS does not do anything with stops per car. It cannot help the center look better at all.

Of course, I am not arguing that the push for SPC is right (or wrong), just that two DIAD's has nothing to do with making sups look better.

P-Man

satellitedriver

just that two DIAD's has nothing to do with making sups look better.
P-Man

Granted.
My post was off topic concerning multiple DIAD's.
I have never seen a driver go out with more than one, but I have seen a part timer being sent out to help a driver and all the delivery info is attributed to the driver, by the fact that the second DIAD has the original drivers ID number and name logged into it. The part timer is paid as car wash / ect...... to cover their hours worked.
That helps fake the SPC demanded.
Another little trick used to keep the SPC "in line", is sending out a part timer or a Sup with the centers customer counter DIAD making delivery's.
-( for some reason the GPS function does not seem to make a report that the DIAD is not at the customer counter)-
The GPS function is never checked, unless the center needs to "check up" on a driver not meeting the numbers.
This is the only form of multiple DIAD use that I have direct knowledge being used by my centers team.
just that two DIAD's has nothing to do with making sups look better.
P-Man

It has everything to do with sups trying to look better, by the numbers.
P-Man, this is what disgusts me.
I have spent my last 24yrs doing my level best working with honor and diligence.
No longer do I see honor and service to the customer as the driving goal to long term growth and survivability of UPS.
No matter how mighty and tall a tree grows, if it loses it's roots it will fall.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Granted.
My post was off topic concerning multiple DIAD's.
I have never seen a driver go out with more than one, but I have seen a part timer being sent out to help a driver and all the delivery info is attributed to the driver, by the fact that the second DIAD has the original drivers ID number and name logged into it. The part timer is paid as car wash / ect...... to cover their hours worked.
That helps fake the SPC demanded.
Another little trick used to keep the SPC "in line", is sending out a part timer or a Sup with the centers customer counter DIAD making delivery's.
-( for some reason the GPS function does not seem to make a report that the DIAD is not at the customer counter)-
The GPS function is never checked, unless the center needs to "check up" on a driver not meeting the numbers.
This is the only form of multiple DIAD use that I have direct knowledge being used by my centers team.

It has everything to do with sups trying to look better, by the numbers.
P-Man, this is what disgusts me.
I have spent my last 24yrs doing my level best working with honor and diligence.
No longer do I see honor and service to the customer as the driving goal to long term growth and survivability of UPS.
No matter how mighty and tall a tree grows, if it loses it's roots it will fall.

Well said.

We had a driver the other day go out with a full p1200 and he was followed around by another driver in a p10 hauling packages that would not fit in the 12. He never even took a board, just ran the packages up to the dock when ever he had one for the stop the driver was at. Driver then scanned the packages brought up by the other shuttle driver as if he had it all along. The whole purpose was to save showing another driver on road on paper, and keep the stops per car number artificially higher.

And they watch us like we are the criminals!!!!!!!!!