Multiple simple questions.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Hey glad to have found a forum for upsers.
I work preload for package cars. I done it seasonal and now was rehired almost two months ago permanent. I make 11 per hour and am still paying union dues. Just want to fact check my research.
30 days after being hired is my seniority date? Correct?
I make 11 per hour and according to the agreement will basically get a 50 cent raise after seniority plus one year for the next 4 years? Correct?
"What happens after 4 years?"

I am still paying dues at 20 per week and will make what's referred to as "book" once I have paid my initiation dues in full? Correct?

After making book I will be given 3.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Right now I'm pretty much off every Monday and don't get paid for that day because I haven't made book yet I assume?

Thank you all for your help.

Any other helpful advice is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's seniority Dude!
You will not be guaranteed 5 days a week until someone with less seniority is hired.
You will be guaranteed 3.5 hours a day when working once you reach seniority.

You will need to refer to your local supplement to confirm the rest but it sounds right for many Locals.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's seniority Dude!
You will not be guaranteed 5 days a week until someone with less seniority is hired.
You will be guaranteed 3.5 hours a day when working once you reach seniority.

You will need to refer to your local supplement to confirm the rest but it sounds right for many Locals.

Somebody has been feeling feisty lately.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Your seniority date, while still part time, is your actual hire date. You attain seniority after 30 working days, in most areas but not all. Check your local supplement to be certain.

If you later go full time, your seniority date will probably change to a "blended" date, between your hire date and your date of attaining "full time" seniority in your new position.

Your actual hire date will always be important though, in any case.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Your seniority date, while still part time, is your actual hire date. You attain seniority after 30 working days, in most areas but not all. Check your local supplement to be certain.

If you later go full time, your seniority date will probably change to a "blended" date, between your hire date and your date of attaining "full time" seniority in your new position.

I would hope that "blended" date thing is real. Around here I'm pretty sure someone could work part time for ten years but if an "off the street" full timer is hired before they make full time themselves, they get friend*ed because that new guy is considered more senior than the original guy simply because of his full time date.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Too damn hot to be outside and it was pouring rain today.
I did get to work outside for a couple of hours between storms.
Too old and fat to deal with 90°+ heat when I don't have to.

Yeah, I spent much of the afternoon playing squirt guns with the grandson in the pool and drinking beer.

Only mid 90's here.

By The Book

To OP, if that is your real name please change it. You will pay an initiation fee in installments until it is paid in full. You will pay union dues once a month, I believe. Your supplement will state how many days you need to work before you attain seniority. Your hire date, or first day worked will be your seniority date once you pass probation. When you have worked four years from your hire date you will be at top scale. The next increase in your pay after that will be the GWI's, or general wage increases in the next contract, (if any). You will attain seniority once you pass your probation. Making book is more of a driver term. After you attain seniority you will have a 3.5 hour guarantee as a part time employee, but you will need to request it if they try to send you home before that.

By The Book

I would hope that "blended" date thing is real. Around here I'm pretty sure someone could work part time for ten years but if an "off the street" full timer is hired before they make full time themselves, they get friend*ed because that new guy is considered more senior than the original guy simply because of his full time date.
If the company's next hire is in accordance with the 6 to 1 ratio then no one is getting effed over.

By The Book

The first day you drive will be your seniority date, because you've already attained seniority before as a part timer.

MC4YOU2

And that's also surely possible, depending on where he's at. Here, they blend the two dates using a fairly confusing formula.

MC4YOU2

I was hired in late summer, started driving in late summer, but got a blended date in the spring. It actually was beneficial for my whole career for vacation picks.

MC4YOU2

The blend is a real thing here, but ft seniority still tops pt seniority in most cases. The blend won't cut 10 years in half and give anyone a date, say 5 years back. All it does is move to a median point over, I believe, the twelve months prior.

I always felt sorry for those who got their date moved into like, October or November. They'd have to roll weeks of vacay into the following year and save them up to qualify for something like Labor Day week or Memorial Day week off.

rod

Retired 22 years
Too damn hot to be outside and it was pouring rain today.
I did get to work outside for a couple of hours between storms.
Too old and fat to deal with 90°+ heat when I don't have to.

I can't remember---are you part of the crowd who brags about how nice the weather is in their area in the winter?

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
The first day I drive will be running air mail on Saturday. Is that any different? Or do you mean the first day I drive as a full time driver? Which only happens if you get the bid on a dedicated route. Correct? Also you referred to my supplement? What is that?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The first day I drive will be running air mail on Saturday. Is that any different? Or do you mean the first day I drive as a full time driver? Which only happens if you get the bid on a dedicated route. Correct? Also you referred to my supplement? What is that?

OMG. Find a senior person or a steward in your building and ask.

The answers will be more specific to your area than any you will get here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Find a senior person or a steward in your building and ask.

The answers will be more specific to your area than any you will get here.

This is really good, solid advice.

Anyone giving a "solid" answer on here is most likely right for them but not for you.