Music for work!

arice11

I have been doing lots of Scan Print Applying in the unload lately. More often than not I am listening to music.
Aside from adjusting the ear buds the only trouble they seem to cause me is my supervisors insisting we have only one ear piece in at all times.
I have had my building supervisor tell me that two is fine for unload but wearing them elsewhere , he claims, could get him fired...
That madness aside, I couldn't deal with work for long periods without some kind of tunes. Lots of co-workers use speakers linked with their phones and I can hear them blasting all around the place.
I'm interested in how the culture of music is or is not tolerated. One UPSer told me that it was against the rules to plug any radio or device into the building, but she also mentioned that this was not always the case.
Digressing.
Metal music, dance and anything energy filled makes a better work day for me, its just how I operate. I can drone out into my own little world and still make the numbers and perform within their acceptable parameters...
Well, acceptable that is until I hear my supervisor say that my energetic behavior can see him ousted. That's just ponderous to me. I've seen SUPS rise and fall and this one has seen a whole year so far.
He's not a bad SUP, just sometimes overly paranoid that I will get him into trouble. Is it because of the whole union thing? So package handlers and drivers are union...but not the rest...right?
Left turn...NASCAR over here.
The only two smartphones I've ever owned cracked at work because I was listening to music. I've spent lots of money on cruddy mp3 players and their equally faulty less enduring ear-buds.
The point I'm getting at here is the conflict between our world of music and our world at work, its a World of Workcraft, and we are the pawns in this game, make no mistake.
But just how much of our freedom to tune-out will be tolerated by the overseers?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Get a pair of Bluetooth wireless headphones....20-30 bucks. You can listen to music off your smartphone or ipod without needing to have your phone or player attached to you. I leave mine in my workbag....

arice11

Bluetooth in ear all day. Stream a three hour radio show and then listen to one of my ever growing 17thousand plus songs.
17k songs?
Sweet! What genres do you listen to?

My phone wouldn't last in bluetooth mode without charge. I hear they have charge stations though. Technology is getting nuts.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I don't care if people listen to music on my sort. But I agree with the only one earbud thing. Nothing is more frustrating that trying to get someone's attention then having to walk over and flail your arms to get their attention. We have to move a lot on my sort, you don't really have the opportunity to stay in one single area, so being able to get people's attention is a must.

Preload though I understand allows guys and gals to use both earbuds if they are loading cars because you aren't hopping around much.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I don't care if people listen to music on my sort. But I agree with the only one earbud thing. Nothing is more frustrating that trying to get someone's attention then having to walk over and flail your arms to get their attention. We have to move a lot on my sort, you don't really have the opportunity to stay in one single area, so being able to get people's attention is a must.

Preload though I understand allows guys and gals to use both earbuds if they are loading cars because you aren't hopping around much.
2 earbuds became an issue in our hub when we feeder drivers tried to notify loaders that we were hooking up and one time they didn't hear and one of them fell down and tried to get the driver fired.

now I wont hook up to a trailer if someone is in it. the boss doesn't like it but too bad, I just think its good common sense anyway. why take a chance?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

2 earbuds became an issue in our hub when we feeder drivers tried to notify loaders that we were hooking up and one time they didn't hear and one of them fell down and tried to get the driver fired.
I'll never understand why people try to get other people fired. Shouldn't have been blasting Katy Perry.
now I wont hook up to a trailer if someone is in it. the boss doesn't like it but too bad, I just think its good common sense anyway. why take a chance?
That's the way to do it. In my center the feeder driver always tells the guys and tells me. That way I can be sure they know he's hooking up and if I have to send someone else in there I can make them aware before they even go in.

EasyTrucker

What happened to clean in/clean out? Part-timers at my hub are not allowed to bring electronics into the building. Back in the 90's we just had an old beat up jam box for preload belt.......lol

image.jpg
17k songs?
Sweet! What genres do you listen to?

My phone wouldn't last in bluetooth mode without charge. I hear they have charge stations though. Technology is getting nuts.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Mono instead of stereo? Cruel and unusual punishment! You have to be able to hear in case somebody is talking/hollering/warning you. I guess you could always hum the top 20 to yourself. OP, were you on the debate team in high school? Just wonderin.

Box Ox

Never know what could come along and hurt or kill you if you've got both ears plugged and can't hear engines, dangerous items breaking open or falling/rolling, or a neighbor giving you a heads up that a stack is about to come down on you.

For me, wearing headphones on both ears during a sort would feel a lot like not wearing a seatbelt on the road.

arice11

Mono instead of stereo? Cruel and unusual punishment! You have to be able to hear in case somebody is talking/hollering/warning you. I guess you could always hum the top 20 to yourself. OP, were you on the debate team in high school? Just wonderin.
I actually took debate and public speaking at the local community college. I wouldn't have tried it at my high school, too many idiots, wouldn't have been a fair fight. hahaha

BrownThunder

bluetooth speakers FTW. I have a partner who likes to play R&B slow jams. While I don't hate it, at least have more than.....oh......one song in your playlist. The b_tch had the same song on repeat for 45min.

COME ON FAM.....

Tonight I'm going to listen to the 48 laws of power audiobook.