If you can't reach should you be hired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

AsweetGirl

Is No Longer Affiliated With UPS
So I'm wondering what ups does for those hired that are a little shorter than average? Do they provide a step stool? What if an employees arms are not long enough to reach across the belt if needed or even preload a car?
Will this person receive special accommodations to enable the ability to work productively?
Should this person be placed in a job that doesn't rely on height or arm span?
How does ups discriminate those who are vertically challenged, without "discriminating"?

Should below average height be considered a disability that keeps someone from being hired because they'd have trouble completing their tasks?

AsweetGirl

What about someone loading the cars? Isn't it sort of necessary to reach things? I think it'd be a lot more difficult for one of shorter level, especially if they had to pack 3 cars and move their step stool to each vehicle.... just seems like trouble.

AsweetGirl

you'll be sent to the small sort within a week, maybe become a clerk later if you're not a slow brain

that's how we do "equality" here

Equality is far better than discrimination. Thank you.
Personally, I'm not too short.
Just posting a concern for another.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Saw one back in the day about 5'3 or so couldn't push the clutch all the way in

Mechanics rigged something up so she could

I asked supe IF she would happen to qualify since she's gonna be bottom of the seniority list you gonna do that everyday for every route she runs

Turns out it was a moot point didn't make it thru the first day by herself

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So I'm wondering what ups does for those hired that are a little shorter than average? Do they provide a step stool? What if an employees arms are not long enough to reach across the belt if needed or even preload a car?
Will this person receive special accommodations to enable the ability to work productively?
How does ups discriminate those who are vertically challenged, without "discriminating"?

Should below average height be considered a disability that keeps someone from being hired because they'd have trouble completing their tasks?

Equality is far better than discrimination. Thank you.
Personally, I'm not too short.
Just posting a concern for another.

Why wait ?

Nut up.... and sue UPS.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
you'll be sent to the small sort within a week, maybe become a clerk later if you're not a slow brain

that's how we do "equality" here

Then when unload is swamped with lack of attendance, they send said small sort folks over to unload, and the seasoned unloaders get to see what it looks like when someone can't lift fifty pounds.

AsweetGirl

Why wait ?

Nut up.... and sue UPS.

I don't know if it's like that. I'm pretty sure the person would just find another job. The orientation hazmat movie was awesome mentioned something about helping others who need help- like an employee in a wheel chair or someone with hard of hearing... teamwork and equality!
I know the company should and would never decline someone employment, based on their short comings... but in the initial interview one may be asked "do you have any disabilities that could hinder or prevent you from working?" Should a short person say no?

AsweetGirl

Then when unload is swamped with lack of attendance, they send said small sort folks over to unload, and the seasoned unloaders get to see what it looks like when someone can't lift fifty pounds.

I see what you're saying. It'd suck if help was needed but those available to help were not physically able to help. It's like why are you here?!!

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli

That's why they have a small sort.

Hateworkingaspreload

Idk about your hub but in mines, we have sherpard hooks for the t-Rex lookin :censored2:. They don't give a :censored2: if you're shorter than the belt, they'll hand you a yellow step stool and have u workin lol. Only 4's outside of ups and 8's inside of ups gets to work as clerks in my hub, oh and if you're a old lady. We have old lady as clerk in mine

Last edited by a moderator:

AsweetGirl

Over all I feel like if someone is not physically or mentally or literally fit to complete the tasks of the job, they should, just, kinda, get that on their own... and maybe excuse themselves kindly before they are put on a call waiting list or let go - because of their inability. That's just my opinion.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Over all I feel like if someone is not physically or mentally or literally fit to complete the tasks of the job, they should, just, kinda, get that on their own... and maybe excuse themselves kindly before they are put on a call waiting list or let go - because of their inability. That's just my opinion.

Judge.. jury.. and executioner ?

New supe.

LMAO