My 30 day probation period ended today, now what?

snarts

I'm a preloader and in my center it takes 40 days to make the union. My probationary period ended today but I wasn't told anything by my supervisor today. Does anyone know if I should expect anything Monday?

snarts

If they haven't said anything, then you have passed your probationary period.

What does passing my probationary period mean exactly? Does it mean I'm guaranteed a permanent spot? Could I not still be sent home/fired the next 10 days before I make book if they wanted to?

J

jibbs

Passing probation means you're now a permanent employee, yes, but even permanent employees can be fired or sent home. The biggest difference is now you can actually bitch about it and actively try to make changes without having to worry about your employment status being retaliated upon. Probationary employees basically need to shut up and do what they're told, because they can be let go for damn near any reason while they're on probation. Now that you've made it through that period, just don't do anything illegal on the clock and you likely have a job for life... if you want it.

Side-note, though-- some new workers get tripped up on the difference between 30 days and 30 working days. It may vary from region to region, but where I'm at it took 30 working days to get through probation, which was pretty much like a month and a half of work instead of an even month.

Just pointing that out in case nobody had for you before.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Wouldn't 40 days to make the union mean the probation period is also 40 days? 30 working days and then waiting 10 more days to join doesn't really make sense.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Where to start,,,,

'Probationary period', 'making book', 'joining the union', 'attaining seniority' all pretty much mean the same thing. From what you've posted, it takes 40 working days, or 8 weeks if you work every day. Days spent in orientation/training may or may not count. I have a feeling you are still 10 days (or more) short of that. So yes, you could still be sent home/fired if they want.

There may or may not be any acknowledgement when you do make it. Although you mentioned elsewhere that you were listed as 'trainee' on a list, that should be dropped.

But once you do make it, yes, you are guaranteed a permanent spot. You should have your daily start times posted in advance (see your union contract for specifics). A guaranteed minimum hours of work daily (usually 3.5 hours). The list of what they can fire you for without progressive discipline (verbal/written warnings, suspension) is listed in the union contract. Things like fighting, stealing, being under the influence (or possessing) drugs/alcohol on company property.

You start earning vacation time and credit towards a pension (see union contract for requirements-typically a minimum # of hours worked in a year). If you get called for jury duty or have a death in your immediate family, you get paid time off for that. Also, bidding rights for things like extra work, different part time (or full time) jobs. There may be a credit union you can join (typically better for your banking needs than a bank or savings & loan). Also can start saving money in a 401k (sorry, no employer match).

Unfortunately there are other benefits you have to wait one year for, such as: paid holidays/personal days/sick days, medical/dental/vision insurance.

You also become eligible to participate in the union meetings and vote on things like electing people to union positions, and the next contract when it comes up for renegotiation.

snarts

Where to start,,,,

'Probationary period', 'making book', 'joining the union', 'attaining seniority' all pretty much mean the same thing. From what you've posted, it takes 40 working days, or 8 weeks if you work every day. Days spent in orientation/training may or may not count. I have a feeling you are still 10 days (or more) short of that. So yes, you could still be sent home/fired if they want.

There may or may not be any acknowledgement when you do make it. Although you mentioned elsewhere that you were listed as 'trainee' on a list, that should be dropped.

But once you do make it, yes, you are guaranteed a permanent spot. You should have your daily start times posted in advance (see your union contract for specifics). A guaranteed minimum hours of work daily (usually 3.5 hours). The list of what they can fire you for without progressive discipline (verbal/written warnings, suspension) is listed in the union contract. Things like fighting, stealing, being under the influence (or possessing) drugs/alcohol on company property.

You start earning vacation time and credit towards a pension (see union contract for requirements-typically a minimum # of hours worked in a year). If you get called for jury duty or have a death in your immediate family, you get paid time off for that. Also, bidding rights for things like extra work, different part time (or full time) jobs. There may be a credit union you can join (typically better for your banking needs than a bank or savings & loan). Also can start saving money in a 401k (sorry, no employer match).

Unfortunately there are other benefits you have to wait one year for, such as: paid holidays/personal days/sick days, medical/dental/vision insurance.

You also become eligible to participate in the union meetings and vote on things like electing people to union positions, and the next contract when it comes up for renegotiation.

I see, thanks for the informative response

By The Book

Where to start,,,,

Some of the benefits that you mentioned that the employee will have to wait a year for do vary by contract, and state law for time off.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Keep your mouth shut about this to mgt .
They may have a different opinion about how many days needed .
And the last thing you want to do now is piss them off . Give it a few more months before mentioning it out loud .

barnyard

KTM rider
Plus, you are not going to get a cake or a pat on the back or any of that. The day you are permanent will be just like the day before and will more than likely be just like the next day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm a preloader and in my center it takes 40 days to make the union. My probationary period ended today but I wasn't told anything by my supervisor today. Does anyone know if I should expect anything Monday?
Draining of paycheck.

On the positive side, it's good mental preparation for a future divorce settlement.

MendozaJ

If you're on the same page with management, no one needs to mention anything. They already know. It's up to you to sign with the union.