My beard

chrisg

I've worked on the preload for 5 years now and some opportunity has come up at our center. I could've been air driving years ago but I have psoriasis and everytime I shave my skin gets irritated and I risk cutting my face. Anyone with psoriasis knows how difficult it can be. Constantly having open wounds to deal with is no joke. I have medicine but you know, you only have one face. I'm just wondering if theres anyway I could "get around" the clean shave rule. I'm not saying I would grow the fiercest beard known to man. It would be tight and crisp. Any suggestions?

gorilla75jdw

yes you absolutly can get around this issue , have your doc. write a statement and follow the ADA. advice from the other thread .

iamupser

Grease Monkey
UPS already lost this case once on religious grounds, maybe they can loose again on ADA Discrimination! http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/3-29-06.cfm

Your "Reasonable Accommodation" should be a no brainer for UPS, but I doubt it.

Here's an idea UPS, and this will save the company ALOT of money. Before your overzealous management teams harass and intimidate the hardworking, profit making laborers in your fiefdom, CONSULT UPSs RETAINED LAWYERS. They think so much more clearly than UPS management!

JonFrum

I can see it now. UPS is forced to grant you an accommmodation, but they don't like it one bit, so they then insist your beard be brown. If it's black, white, grey, blond or red, they'll claim they can force you to shave or dye!!!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to take all the information in today and see what happens!

Just ask your manager or sup for a beard waiver. Get it signed by a doctor. There are restrictions on how the beard is to be maintained. If it is for medical reasons, you must have a full beard and keep it trimmed at 1/4 inch. No goatee or sculpting.

No need for the ADA, lawyers, grievances, etc.

brownelf

get a doctors note and put it on file. We currently have a driver who is allowed to have a short beard for a similiar reason.

tourists24

Just ask your manager or sup for a beard waiver. Get it signed by a doctor. There are restrictions on how the beard is to be maintained. If it is for medical reasons, you must have a full beard and keep it trimmed at 1/4 inch. No goatee or sculpting.

lets hope it works that way..... good luck

menotyou

bella amicizia

That is a nice thought. If only. I has been my experience with the labor sup in our area that if he can be a pain, he will.

raceanoncr

Totally agree! There IS no need to go these extreme routes. BUT!

It does not always happen this way. UPS is an extreme company and, in most cases, this is good. In my tenure with the company, there were PLENTY of clear-cut, already-been-settled, no-need-for-grievance, written-in-stone decisions that were STILL headed for a battle. No need to go into detail here, but, briefly, supe was gonna deny something. I told him I still had grievance check in my pocket from exact same situation. No matter. File anyway! Did and won...AGAIN!

As a steward, I would have LOVED to settle disputes or problems this way. No "litagation", no grievance, just a sit-down and simple agreement on something that is common sense and legal. Very rarely happened.

Floyd Gondolli

Put in a bid for inside combo, grow that thing to your n*ts. Any sup harasses you give them the Charles Manson eyes. You'll be left alone.

silentchief.bandcamp.com

wornoutupser

I have a waiver in my file. I get "barbers itch" which is the common name for an infection that gets much worse if shaved. I usually only go a few days to allow it to clear up. A doctor note covered it for me- but that was way back when common sense ruled!