My Center Manager has another part time job...

mygolfer

Does anyone else's center manager have another part time job? Mine does. Even during peak season he finds the time to referee high school basketball games. Does anyone who drives EVER get home in time to go watch their own kids participate in high school sports let alone go referee other people's kids? Especially during peak season. How much value does he add to UPS when his day is over at 5 PM and the drivers are out until 8-9-or 10 PM.. That is impressive..

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Does anyone else's center manager have another part time job? Mine does. Even during peak season he finds the time to referee high school basketball games. Does anyone who drives EVER get home in time to go watch their own kids participate in high school sports let alone go referee other people's kids? Especially during peak season. How much value does he add to UPS when his day is over at 5 PM and the drivers are out until 8-9-or 10 PM.. That is impressive..

If he's like most center managers his day probably starts at 5 am and he's on duty 24/7. Theres plenty of management jobs open for those interested in the "perks."

Catatonic

Nine Lives

What happened to all those drivers that said it is a big mistake going into management ... must really suck. LOL

sosocal

i do not have a part-time job but I never miss anything my kids have that is important enough to be there - games, recitals, school concerts - peak is a different story - but not altogether out of the question - I ensure my mgt team gets to their kids stuff if it is important enough for them to tell me about. MGT is a different kind of flexibility - NOt better - but different.

Good for him. It's important to have a life outside of your chosen avocation.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't know what city my center manager lives in. Don't know how many kids he has. Don't know what he does in his spare time.

helenofcalifornia

More power to him. I agree that that boy probably puts in more time than you see him at the office. And the pressure he must be under. I don't have an issue with it. I think when one signs up for driving, they should know already what kind of hours will be expected of them. It would be nice if we could get off for all the games, recitals, etc., but not realistic. Part of the job.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

I know several drivers that have their own business, they drive all day for us and put in a couple of hours at their office after they get off at UPS.

Last edited:

Nimnim

The Nim
I know several drivers that have their own business, they drive all day for us and put in a couple of hours at their office after they get off at UPS.

I can see something like an ebay store working like that, as long as they're not using undelivered packages for their stock...:angel2:

Or perhaps they're secret vigilantes fighting crime in the night...:batman2:

tarbar66

All great explainations but I bet he needs the exercise since he is not out running packages.

What will you guys do when he brings his whistle to work?

brownrod

In his defense he probably shows up to work several hours before you do.