My Choice forced on customers

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I prefer the pickups that agree to a flag system. If you don't want me to stop for your daily pickup put a sign out. That way we still get credit for swinging by.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I prefer the pickups that agree to a flag system. If you don't want me to stop for your daily pickup put a sign out. That way we still get credit for swinging by.

If the sign says "no" do you still stop and complete the pickup at that location or do you wait until you get to your next pickup stop? If you wait you are actually falsifying records.

When I was a new driver I got burned by a pickup stop which put the sign out after I had already driven by their location. To this day I refuse to allow pickup customers to use the sign system. They pay up to $20/week to see my smiling face.

Our center "encourages" our rural drivers to call their pickups, especially if they are running late. While I understand the rationale I totally disagree with this.

If your flag pickups ship on an infrequent basis you might want to suggest they convert to a Smart Pickup.

worldwide

To this day I refuse to allow pickup customers to use the sign system. They pay up to $20/week to see my smiling face. If your flag pickups ship on an infrequent basis you might want to suggest they convert to a Smart Pickup.

Agree 100% with you - I never liked the flag pickups - too many opportunities to miss something. The day they forget to change the "no pickup" flag is the day they have the critical Next Day Air package.

To your point, customers spend between $520 and $1,000 PER YEAR just in weekly service charges. The least we can do is visit their premises, stop and get out of the vehicle to see if there is something going out or simply to say hello. That's part of the service we provide. For an infrequent shipper, Smart Pickup is the way to go - saves the customer money as it's $10/wk and saves the driver time - no outgoing shipments, no need to stop.