My choice

bumped

I think My Choice is a lot more successful than we drivers think. The customer gets an email of their impending package(albeit a time window that may or may not happen). The customer can also reroute for a fee. These are things we drivers don't see.

I also think My Choice has been a big disappointment in the view of the ivory towers. I just don't think it has caught on.

If from what I was told during a PCM is correct, the premium service costs $40/ year. If that includes a time window, why wouldn't any QVC/Amazon customer take advantage to try and hide the packages from their spouse.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a lady complain today that I knocked too loudly. I explained to her that we normally get complaints that we don't knock at all. I apologized (just to appease her) and went on my way.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I had a lady complain today that I knocked too loudly. I explained to her that we normally get complaints that we don't knock at all. I apologized (just to appease her) and went on my way.
You keep that up and they just may have you star in the next video that they show to the drivers. Maybe even a chance to be on the calendar??

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If the customer falsely accuses me of not ringing or knocking, then they can forget about me making any sort of extra effort to get them their package.

If, on the other hand, they are honest and say "hey, I must have been in the shower" (or asleep, or next door, or whatever) when I rang the bell, then I will go to great lengths to make a second attempt, including having dispatch give them my cell phone# so that they can call me directly and meet me someplace.

I really hate liars, especially when they are basically accusing me of not doing my job.

I'll take a warning letter before I will reattempt for these liars.

beentheredonethat

As a upser and as a customer, I like mychoice. Granted I live in a rural area and the driver DR's all the packages except for the occasional Verizon phone etc. I have a great spot to have a pkg DR'ed (A small farmers porch). However, I hardly ever use that door myself. So if a pkg comes it could be out there for a while before I remember something was ordered (or if my wife orders something etc). Now I know what day a pkg is scheduled and approximately when a driver will arrive. The latter part was especially nice for the Sig required. I have no need of the higher level (and costlier) level of mychoice.

worldwide

I would say that MyChoice is an utter failure. For only slightly more money, a customer can simply rent a PO box at their local UPS store.

Utter failure? On what do you base that claim? How are you measuring the success or failure of My Choice?

The 1.8 million consumers that have enrolled in My Choice in ONE year that have had more than 18 million packages delivered to them would likely disagree with you. If just 1% of these My Choice members are enrolled in the premium service, that equates to $720,000 in NEW annual revenue to UPS.

PO Box rentals at The UPS Store cost at least $25/month and can go up to $70/month. How is paying $300 - $840 each year for a mailbox rental better than paying $40/year for a My Choice membership? You consider that "slightly more" for the consumer to pay?

As a shareholder, I'll take more "utter failures" like My Choice. No one in the industry has anything close to it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Utter failure? On what do you base that claim? How are you measuring the success or failure of My Choice?

The 1.8 million consumers that have enrolled in My Choice in ONE year that have had more than 18 million packages delivered to them would likely disagree with you. If just 1% of these My Choice members are enrolled in the premium service, that equates to $720,000 in NEW annual revenue to UPS.

PO Box rentals at The UPS Store cost at least $25/month and can go up to $70/month. How is paying $300 - $840 each year for a mailbox rental better than paying $40/year for a My Choice membership? You consider that "slightly more" for the consumer to pay?

As a shareholder, I'll take more "utter failures" like My Choice. No one in the industry has anything close to it.

More than half of the people that signed up on my route thought it would get me to leave the package for a locked apartment building, a box of wine, or their adult signature required top shelf medication.

I agree with the 1% estimate as realistic, yielding $720,000 in new revenue.
Unfortunately, that is pathetic for a national intuitive.

I see it fading away without most people even noticing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Insight as to why you hate management so much!

I fail to understand your comment. I'm not by nature a hateful person.

I would say that 95% of the management people I have dealt with during my 25 years have been honest and decent folks...which is a figure that is probably on par with the population as a whole, regardless of occupation.

The problem with UPS however, is that the 5% who make the rest of management look bad also happen to be the 5% that tend to get promoted. It is this 5%...and the policies and procedures they create.... that I tend to be a vocal critic of.

There is a profound difference between hatred and honest criticism. Perhaps you should educate yourself as to that difference.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I would say that 95% of the management people I have dealt with during my 25 years have been honest and decent folks...which is a figure that is probably on par with the population as a whole, regardless of occupation.

The problem with UPS however, is that the 5% who make the rest of management look bad also happen to be the 5% that tend to get promoted. It is this 5%...and the policies and procedures they create.... that I tend to be a vocal critic of.

There is a profound difference between hatred and honest criticism. Perhaps you should educate yourself as to that difference.

I did not mean it as a hate of individual people.

I meant it as a hate of management as a concept and the application of the resulting rules and conditions on you.

You seem to be a very strong individual and feel that if management left your area of responsibility totally up to you, it would be better for everyone.

You are also very opinionated and assertive and I imagine when management
- disagrees with you,
- instructs you to work as directed and
- eventually tells you what want to hear (so you will leave them alone) without changing the realities of the situation
you interpret these as lies and deceptions.

One of these "lies" is that they tell you they are just doing what Corporate tells them to do.

None of the above are meant as criticism but just an objective assessment of your existence within the new centrally controlled UPS.

soberups

I did not mean it as a hate of individual people.

I meant it as a hate of management as a concept and the application of the resulting rules and conditions on you.

You seem to be a very strong individual and feel that if management left your area of responsibility totally up to you, it would be better for everyone.

You are also very opinionated and assertive and I imagine when management
- disagrees with you,
- instructs you to work as directed and
- eventually tells you what want to hear (so you will leave them alone) without changing the realities of the situation
you interpret these as lies and deceptions.

One of these "lies" is that they tell you they are just doing what Corporate tells them to do.

None of the above are meant as criticism but just an objective assessment of your existence within the new centrally controlled UPS.

My wife is a Human Resources and finance manager at a manufacturing company. In addition to managing the books, she is responsible for setting company policy, hiring people, evaluting their performance, writing disciplinary letters and terminating employees for cause. So believe it or not, I really can see things from a management perspective because I get to hear her side of it almost every night after work.

I dont have a problem being told what to do, and I accept the fact that my boss is the boss and that I have to follow instructions even when I dont like them or agree with them. For the most part, I usually just smile, shut up, and do what Im told without complaining.

Where I do tend to get a bit "vocal"...is when I am held to an arbitrary or ridiculously high standard of performance by a management person or team that cannot possibly live up to that standard themselves. In other words...get your own sh&t together before you start getting up into mine. I also have no respect for a corporate culture that does not allow the smart, competent and informed local management people (who make up 95% of this company) to make a decision about even the most basic operational issues. Problems are part of life, but self inflicted problems caused by an overbearing, paranoid, metrics-obsessed, top-heavy, fear-based management structure are particularly hard for me to come to terms with.

pretzel_man

Sober:

I agree with much of what you say here, but there are some differences.

I also have this 95% number in my head. About 5% of managers I deal with are not decent people. About 5% of drivers I deal with are not decent people.

I do NOT think that 5% of management are the ones that get promoted. The majority of them fizzle out. But..... That 5% do A LOT of damage. They sour work groups. They taint UPS. I can't tell you the number of times I've worked with a driver that had a bad attitude and it stemmed from one of those 5 %'ers.....

The 5% of drivers really do little harm outside of their area.

I think there is also another category of management. These are people that are good and decent, but not fully competent for their job. A good person and good driver does not necessarily make a good management person. Especially in today's data driven, change driven, and competition driven environment.

There is a difference between a manager who is not decent and one who is not fully competent.... But it's hard to see that difference.

I also think there is a difference between hatred and criticism. Sometimes it's hard to see that difference as well.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Sober:

I also have this 95% number in my head. About 5% of managers I deal with are not decent people. About 5% of drivers I deal with are not decent people.

I do NOT think that 5% of management are the ones that get promoted. The majority of them fizzle out. But..... That 5% do A LOT of damage. They sour work groups. They taint UPS. I can't tell you the number of times I've worked with a driver that had a bad attitude and it stemmed from one of those 5 %'ers.....

I think there is also another category of management. These are people that are good and decent, but not fully competent for their job. A good person and good driver does not necessarily make a good management person. Especially in today's data driven, change driven, and competition driven environment.

There is a difference between a manager who is not decent and one who is not fully competent.... But it's hard to see that difference.

I also think there is a difference between hatred and criticism. Sometimes it's hard to see that difference as well.
Why the higher ups can't see what horrific damage those 5% do is beyond me. At least, it appears they don't notice. Why does UPS throw away it's injured that worked there tail off for this company. Crash is one example. If Liberty had their way, I'd have chosen not to have this last surgery and taken the settlement. They are trying to do it to me right now. They will not win.

soberups

Sober:

Also known as the "Dilbert principle", whereby all persons in a meritocracy tend to rise to their level of incompetence and remain there.

Probably the best management people I have ever worked for are the ones who have accepted the fact that they will not rise any higher than their current level. Since they no longer aspire to be promoted, they are free to focus on doing the right thing for the business rather than the right thing for their careers. These people tend to be more willing to make correct decisions and take the heat for them rather than chasing silly numbers off of a cliff in order to make themselves look better on some report. Ideally, these people would be compensated based upon their time with the company versus whatever level they are able to climb to.

You are correct about the lack of correlation between being a good driver vs a good management person. My current supervisor has, by his own admission, less than 6 months of actual driving experience. This has not prevented him from doing his job capably. He is younger and much more computer-literate and detail oriented than the older breed of on-car supervisor, and these skills are far more important in todays UPS than actual behind-the-wheel experience. The key for such a person to succeed is to be honest and forthright about that lack of experience so as to remain open minded and teachable.

UPSGUY72

A couple of weeks go I'm delivering to Liberty mutual. The girl that receives the mail lefta note gone to Post office. So I knocked on the door to the call center right next door. A guy came out and starts to yell at me. "Can't you see people are on the phone don't knock so hard" . I kind just looked at him like FU. Then he comes back with "you really don't care do you". I again give him the look like FU and say I need to knock to get someone attention. Then he comes back with what time do you deliver each day. I tell him Usually right about this time which was 9:30 am but never after 10:30 am. He looks into the mail room and says where is she. I tell him not there. Then he signs for the packages. I say have a nice day.

Apparently this has happen before once when my SUP was showing the route to the driver that won the bid. That time my SUP told him we can come back tomorrow if you like....

Some people are just A-holes