My Family's Oldest or Craziest Holiday Ritual

moreluck

golden ticket member
Taking mini gift baskets to the local animal shelter on Christmas Eve. Dogs get a biscuit and a squeaky toy, and cats get a catnip bundle.
~Jennifer O'Connor~ (Reader's Digest)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Setting an extra plate for any passing travelers who need a place to eat dinner, a tradition my mom brought from Poland.
~Anna Zajac Whitlow~

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Seafood for Xmas Eve dinner. Not really odd just an Italian thing I guess.

The wife and I always watch Christmas vacation while decorating the tree.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I was a kid, Santa would decorate our tree. I decided that would be a great tradition with our family. We would wait until Joeboopup would fall asleep and we would be up til 1:30-2:00 decorating the tree. One year, just when my wife and I were admiring our handiwork, the tree came crashing down. I said "Oh sh¥&!" just as Joeboopup ran into the family room. I yelled "Get back to bed! Santa's at the neighbors!" He turns and runs to his room.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I was a kid, Santa would decorate our tree. I decided that would be a great tradition with our family. We would wait until Joeboopup would fall asleep and we would be up til 1:30-2:00 decorating the tree. One year, just when my wife and I were admiring our handiwork, the tree came crashing down. I said "Oh sh¥&!" just as Joeboopup ran into the family room. I yelled "Get back to bed! Santa's at the neighbors!" He turns and runs to his room.
My brother and I woke up one year apparently about 10 minutes after my parents went to bed. Lol

oldngray

nowhere special
The four stages of life

• You believe in Santa
  • You don't believe in Santa
  • You are Santa
  • You look like Santa
stages.jpg

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I was a kid,Santa always came to our house on Christmas Eve, just after dark. Tradition was, my family would always pile into the car Christmas Eve to go "look at Christmas lights on people's houses." Amazingly, while we were gone, he brought our gifts. EVERY year. I was pist. I wanted to stay up and catch him in the act. I wanted to see how he got into our house since we didn't have a fireplace. I never did find out who brought the stuff to our house. A neighbor, I guess. lol. At our house, these days, everyone is allowed to open up 1 gift on Christmas Eve, and the rest on Christmas morning. It has kind of evolved a bit since the kids are grown now. We still do the 1 gift thing, but the last 4 or 5 years, everyone gets pajamas that my wife has picked out. Might be onesies, or super heroes, or something unusual, but it will happen again this year, cause she mentioned going online and ordering them yesterday.

oldandcrabby

Daddy would pile us in the car Christmas eve to look at lights also and Mom would stay home to leave out cookies for Santa we would come home and open the gifts.

oldandcrabby

Now we have evolved we have been married 35 years our children are all grown.

The focus has become Thanksgiving I make Thanksgiving dinner for about 10 to 12 friends that do not have family close by and while I am cleaning up the meal dishes husband and son will trip up to the attic and bring down all Christmas decorations and on Friday it is leftovers and get the tree up and interior decorated for Christmas.

Then son works Saturday sort and we start baking Christmas cookies all the way through peak. Husband and son both work for UPS and pass out cookies for anyone that wants them. Son's belt people are already putting in their requests. I take joy in brightening up peak season for them. That has become our new tradition for the last 8 years or so.