My First Day: LOL

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Question to the original thread author "UPSisasillycompany" (Terrific name, btw :funny:)

Do you work in a small building, a large one (hub), what is the work environment? ask your supervisor these questions if you can't answer then report back ASAP.

To ramble a bit here: I have worked in 3 buildings, two small(er) centers and one hub, and by FAR the hub takes care of it's new hires more so than the center.

Not sure the reason, guessing in small centers mangement doesn't have the proper allowances to raise the new hires right with training. They are thrown into the surroundings and forced to raise themselves. This is why in small centers, often the inmates run the asylum.

I was thrown into UPS like raw flesh into the lions den. The second day I wished I second guessed my decision making skills. I still do ( another story ) heh

Hubs, there are loads of training supervisors and etc that nurture each new hire until they get the job. one week in and they still are loading 500 packages a day! This leaves a good impression on that person to be sure! There are far more company minded folks, and even management pets ( i call 'em MP's :whiteflag:) in hubs rather than small centers.

So bottom line, I suppose - I'll assume for now you're in a small center and in the end, like somebody else mentioned, will be an excellent contributor to this place. :D

tieguy

Banned
Great....another BBAG
Im gonna go cry in my pea soup
then do a shot of jack and go to sleep
for tomorrow i shall slay the beast!
LOL
but seriously God bless America, and no one else :)

Great idea. I think I'll join you only with a nip of espresso flavored vodka. And while I slumber I shall dream of ups stock further flushing down the toilet. :happy-very:

Silly if you are legit and not a troll then do come back and let us know how it goes. I say that because we have been having a rash of suspected trolls lately making similar posts to yours. If you happen to stumble upon anything positive please share that too.

Also if you could give us a little background on what you have done previously and how you happened to cross our doorsteps so we can better understand your perspective. thanks

This guy is not another BBAG. I don't think he is trying to fight the power/system in place. The TS has the potential to last here.

Personally, I think it will be hilarious to see future posts from him. Think about it, he knows he can't change the system, as a preloader, so he will just keep us updated with hysterical choices of wording and skewed opinion.

Right on! The only thing that could make it any better is if he could make it into a comic strip.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
my first day 8 hrs training on saftey
my 2nd day 4 hrs training on sheeting a pkg (no diads) 4 hrs in the training (hockey helmut bus)
my 3rd day 8 hrs on road with a sup delivering (oh god this job will be easy)
my 4th day here is 200 stops and a map good luck and you better not bring anything back!!!!!!
have your mommy make you some fresh cookies for work and quit your crying college boythis aint no mall store where you sit on your ass all day upsmade it a 100 years before you showedup we won't go out of business if you leave be a man and toughen up god i hate whiners!!!!! do you pee siiting down

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm sorry,I forgot my meds this morning, welcome to ups what can we do to make you more comfortable?? if it gets to hot please feel free to use the company pool,if you get tired please feel free to sit down for a rest and call mom,what can we do to make you feel better i realize with you great ideas you wll be on the board of directors soon telling them how we should have been doing it your way the last 100 years if you don't like loading can we make you a pilot instead!!! hey pilot those pkgs over here rookie!!!!!lol lol lol lol

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
my first day 8 hrs training on saftey
my 2nd day 4 hrs training on sheeting a pkg (no diads) 4 hrs in the training (hockey helmut bus)
my 3rd day 8 hrs on road with a sup delivering (oh god this job will be easy)
my 4th day here is 200 stops and a map good luck and you better not bring anything back!!!!!!
have your mommy make you some fresh cookies for work and quit your crying college boythis aint no mall store where you sit on your ass all day upsmade it a 100 years before you showedup we won't go out of business if you leave be a man and toughen up god i hate whiners!!!!! do you pee siiting down

I'm sorry,I forgot my meds this morning, welcome to ups what can we do to make you more comfortable?? if it gets to hot please feel free to use the company pool,if you get tired please feel free to sit down for a rest and call mom,what can we do to make you feel better i realize with you great ideas you wll be on the board of directors soon telling them how we should have been doing it your way the last 100 years if you don't like loading can we make you a pilot instead!!! hey pilot those pkgs over here rookie!!!!!lol lol lol lol

I can add nothing further to this incredible rant. I thought this was so good, I read it aloud to the wife. We were both cracking up. Thanks covemaster!!!

New Englander

Yes, I do have time to turn on a computer and "whine", Mr. 900 posts; I'll have to check out those tight seniority rules on forum posting! :peaceful:

It's not a matter of easy, it's a matter of liability and a matter of silliness. What benefit is there for a company to throw a "trainee" into an unfamiliar and dangerous environment without even pointing out what he should do if he gets hurt, let alone how to perform his job in a safe manner? If this is the norm across the company, then the satisfaction/turnover rate starts to makes sense. Why have systems in place if you don't use them?

Forget Guantanamo, I'm worried about my bloody kneecaps, see! Little Caesar makes the rounds around here every week, see, so you better gots the dough by tomorrow, got it, see?

You know you're facing a completely legitimate and worthwhile organization when the 20+ year rep can't answer basic questions about how membership benefits you, then insists that you join and start paying dues when he, in a sense, comes around to collect every week. "It'll be in your best interest, we'll take care of you."

A blast from the past to illustrate the subject, enjoy:

YouTube - Army Protection Racket Sketch

Thanks to the others for the welcome, as well!

Go find a different job with another company. First day and your already on here bitching about both the company and the teamsters. I've got a whole lotta faith your going to turn out to be a good one.

I appreciate the generally enthusiastic, if yet cautious, responses. I'm no troll, I promise. I reported what I experienced, and yeah, I have a bent toward humor/wit (whether you find my writing funny or not is up to you).

In response to those who claim "slants" in my postings:

WELCOME TO THE INTERNETS; A VAST SERIES OF TUBES THAT ALLOWS PEOPLE TO SPEAK THEIR MINDS! I MEAN "TYPE OUT" THEIR MINDS USING AN KEYBOARD, TEE HEE HEE LOL!!!1!11!

Remember folks, the internets is serious business; editorial content should be taken to heart.

In response to NewEnglander, Covemaster and other posters with similar "yung college bwah" responses...hello to you all! I do admire your seniority, experience, and work perseverance, but can only respond with curiosity to your replies. You collectively remind me of that sailor character in Jaws though, and that's a good thing, right?!

For IDoLessWorkThanMost, without getting too specific, I don't work in a tiny operation.

While I do plan to continue lurking and posting occasionally, I had no intent of turning this into some "watch me progress through UPS" (that rhymes) thread. I really just wanted to do some personally therapeutic reporting. I will say though that on my second day today, my continuing lack of training resulted in a minor injury, as I was placed without a supervisor in a senseless situation that couldn't have resulted in a positive outcome. I hope tomorrow goes well, though.

:peaceful:

blackcircle

You'll last about a week :happy-very:

Only real reason to join union: to get fired but then not get fired :surprised:

Enjoy your annual safety audit, it will have things on it that you will never be trained for. If you injure yourself they will use this against you.

Have fun, be sure to load those walls well or they might fall on you(or more likely me :smart:)

In my hub they have a supervisor just to do classes but he also helps another supervisor do the "on the job" training. They just started doing it this way in January though.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I appreciate the generally enthusiastic, if yet cautious, responses. I'm no troll, I promise. I reported what I experienced, and yeah, I have a bent toward humor/wit (whether you find my writing funny or not is up to you).

In response to those who claim "slants" in my postings:

WELCOME TO THE INTERNETS; A VAST SERIES OF TUBES THAT ALLOWS PEOPLE TO SPEAK THEIR MINDS! I MEAN "TYPE OUT" THEIR MINDS USING AN KEYBOARD, TEE HEE HEE LOL!!!1!11!

Remember folks, the internets is serious business; editorial content should be taken to heart.

In response to NewEnglander, Covemaster and other posters with similar "yung college bwah" responses...hello to you all! I do admire your seniority, experience, and work perseverance, but can only respond with curiosity to your replies. You collectively remind me of that sailor character in Jaws though, and that's a good thing, right?!

For IDoLessWorkThanMost, without getting too specific, I don't work in a tiny operation.

While I do plan to continue lurking and posting occasionally, I had no intent of turning this into some "watch me progress through UPS" (that rhymes) thread. I really just wanted to do some personally therapeutic reporting. I will say though that on my second day today, my continuing lack of training resulted in a minor injury, as I was placed without a supervisor in a senseless situation that couldn't have resulted in a positive outcome. I hope tomorrow goes well, though.

:peaceful:

HEY??? I'm offended. I wasn't even mentioned in this post. Am I not good enough? Am I not senior enough? If I'm cut, do I not bleed brown blood???

You'll last about a week :happy-very: Only real reason to join union: to get fired but then not get fired :surprised: be sure to load those walls well or they might fall on you(or more likely me :smart:)

I'm sure you're right on all accounts! (Wish I knew what a wall was?! :()

steve said:
HEY??? I'm offended. I wasn't even mentioned in this post. Am I not good enough? Am I not senior enough? If I'm cut, do I not bleed brown blood???

Argh, I knew I forgot someone! Make a bigger ruckus next time!!! ;)

POSTSCRIPT

What I find humorous from one side of the overall responses here is how it would seem a commendable virtue to convince yourself to remain in a blatantly unsafe situation at $9 an hour with no benefits in order to prove that you're a "hard boy/girl".

"Look at me! I remained at a unsafe job for regular pay...I'm amazing!"

Now, a safe job with regular pay should be fine for everyone, but if a $9/hour job proves to remain blatantly unsafe, then I have no problems finding another $9 an hour joe-job that IS safe.

This isn't the holy grail, people; it's UPS.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
Hello mister UPSissilly.Thx for joining the bc.I think a lot of folks here are just being careful.Being an experienced interwebber you can appreciate how many "hi I'm new here,and ups is hard" threads we see.
I for one find your posts both honest and humorous.
Don't let them scare you off,this is actually the best website in the universe to talk about ups crap.
You are obviously familiar with the capabilities of the net.
As for your safety concerns,heres my advice.
Find a safe steady pace to work at and do it every day.
Think twice before moving that 150lb anvil by yourself.
Never be afraid to ask for help or advice.
Always put cans of paint on the floor.
Go to upsers.com every thursday to make sure you are being paid for all hours worked.
Be careful.

Last edited:
Hello mister UPSissilly.Thx for joining the bc.I think a lot of folks here are just being careful.Being an experienced interwebber you can appreciate how many "hi I'm new here,and ups is hard" threads we see.
I for one find your posts both honest and humorous.
Don't let them scare you off,this is actually the best website in the universe to talk about ups crap.
You are obviously familiar with the capabilities of the net.
As for your safety concerns,heres my advice.
Find a safe steady pace to work at and do it every day.
Think twice before moving that 150lb anvil by yourself.
Never be afraid to ask for help or advice.
Always put cans of paint on the floor.
Go to upsers.com every thursday to make sure you are being paid for all hours worked.
Be careful.

Thanks DS, I appreciate the positive reinforcement and safety advice, truly. I do understand the tide of newbie threads as well. UPS IS definitely hard work, but that's why I joined up. All I ask for is proper preparation and instruction by the people who promised me such as conditions of my employment. It's tough to be successful when you aren't given the means, would you agree?

Last edited: