My helper fed goats today...

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Honestly I have been told by several people within my building that UPS has really lowered their hiring standards this year .
Many new hires are on probation , meaning that they have to show up for work or go back to jail .

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Honestly I have been told by several people within my building that UPS has really lowered their hiring standards this year .
Many new hires are on probation , meaning that they have to show up for work or go back to jail .
My best friend is a cop. I had a helper years ago that he had locked up multiple times. Funny thing is, in January and Feb I had an encyclopedia of DFU's. Go figure.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We have a guy that was arrested for embezzeling money from a both a High School and an old folks home last year ( yes he was terminated from the High School,videos of his arrest made all of the local news ) and has been used as a helper last year and seasonal inside helper this year. His arrest record was pointed out by several drivers (including the news stories which showed him being lead away in cuffs) Management said since he hasnt been convicted he is innocent until proven guilty.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sounds like a route where a helper may not really be needed.
Correct you are.

Assigning a helper to me is an exercise in forced stupidity, in order to meet a quota assigned to my center by Corporate, as part of the "We Are Ready" campaign.

What I am learning is that, actually, a helper can still be of some assistance even on a rural route. I will have him hold the next stop in his lap while we are driving, and scan it as we are approaching the house. Then he gets out and runs it to the door while I get the car backed up and turned around. Makes me look horrible on Telematics, but that's UPS's problem not mine. Or if the driveway is short enough I will have him walk off a stop and then wait for me while I deliver another one at the end of a dead end road. I can also sort while he runs stops up to the door, but since I can practically walk thru my truck in the morning I pretty much have the whole car lined up by noon or so and after that I am often just sitting there waiting for him to get back. There are probably about 10 places on the whole route where it is possible to deliver two or more stops from one park position.

Instead of meeting him on area, I just pick him up at the building now because having to drive 10 miles back to the point where I picked him up in the morning was costing about as much time as he was able to save me. So he is getting 11.5 or 12 hours to sit with me and do 175 stops in 150 miles.

My feet aren't as sore and its nice to have someone to chat with, so I just do what I am told and use him. Its a win win.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My best friend is a cop. I had a helper years ago that he had locked up multiple times. Funny thing is, in January and Feb I had an encyclopedia of DFU's. Go figure.
Messed up thing is this year they've been giving us all a pile of DFUs in our slots everyday. I had 0 DFUs last year during or after peak. Some are from my helper and some are from random guys doing splits releasing placing that shouldn't be released.

watdaflock?

He also got to help unload an anvil, and watch a horse getting shoed. He got to see an equine veterinarian performing a proctology exam on a horse, which involves encasing your entire arm in a plastic glove, coating the glove with lube, and then inserting your arm into the horse's anus clear up to your shoulder. He saw 12 deer, 2 coyotes, a rabbit, a skunk, and a wide variety of domestic farm animals on a guided tour of Oregon's wine country that culminated in getting to watch a group of hang gliders jump off of a 1200 ft cliff that we were parked next to.

Last time this happened to me I was tripping on acid and on vacation in Vegas.
try-again.jpg

9.5er

Last week I had several packages for a farm. I opened the back door and piled them up on the bumper and as I was looking for the last one a chicken jumped in the truck with me. Weirdest thing I've ever had back there with me. Owner came outside and said her hen was real nosey. :bigsmile2:

UPSGUY72

I've gone through 5 or 6 different helpers this year so far. Haven't had to fire any like last year. However they don't seem to want to show up the next day. Had one that wouldn't walk up driveways in the dark out in the hill. I think he was scared of the dark. The others just seemed to be totally out of shape and must have expected to have to do like to no physical work. On some days by the end of the day I just had then get out of the way when the vehicle stopped as it was faster and less painful for me to do everything.

3 more days left of helper the question is will I get 3 new ones or one of the ones I had before.

UPSGUY72

I had a dog run after me, but I outran the dog back to the car and we hauled ass out of there.

You really didn't out run the dog you had a head start and and the distance back to the package car was short enough that the dog couldn't close the gap between you and the him fast enough to catch you before you got in.

Never think you can out run a dog because you can't they will catch given the chance.

Box Ox

I've had a fantastic helper this year. Unfortunately my off street loader is beyond awful and every other piece is in the wrong thousand section. Which effectively negates the fantastic helper. Sigh.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
You really didn't out run the dog you had a head start and and the distance back to the package car was short enough that the dog couldn't close the gap between you and the him fast enough to catch you before you got in.

Never think you can out run a dog because you can't they will catch given the chance.

Oh yes, I had a big lead on the canine. What made it epic is the canine was a pit bull. The driver liked me even more cause I did not get bit.