My husband got fired

P

pickup

i don't know about here, but I know other guys out of other locals who didn't make the probation period at their company and got their initiation fee back, but they had to fight to get it and even then, it took months to get the money back

The fact that they start to take the money out before he is even a protected member of the union is not a nice thing on the part of the union.

I know of a certain teamsters union that enjoys its workers not making their "book" , or that they leave soon after paying the intitiation fee as this means other workers will replace the departing workers and add more money to the coffers of the union.

P

pickup

Also, it sounds like your husband was used as a sacrificial lamb for this stop. The dispatcher must have gotten tired of thinking a long time ago and instead of trying to do this stop with a smaller trailer assumed that the other drivers who told him it couldn't be done with a 53' trailer were lying to him and figured that he would use a new guy to prove to his own satisfaction that it could be done.

over9five

Staff member
I agree that union dues/initiation should not have been taken before the probationary period was up, but since they WERE taken, the union owes this man representation.
Fight hard Rainy, your hubby deserves his job back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with Over. If other drivers were told to use the 53' and declined for safety reasons your hubby should have recourse to get his job back. He was new and was taken advantage of. Don't give up the fight but, as mentioned, he should be the one fighting.

tieguy

Banned
this is one of those scenarios where having a union hurts you. The terminal manager has to make a decision at the 30 day mark since it gets much tougher firing a bad employee after the 30 day mark.
there is more to this story then a little messed up grass.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
this is one of those scenarios where having a union hurts you. The terminal manager has to make a decision at the 30 day mark since it gets much tougher firing a bad employee after the 30 day mark.

Messed up grass is no longer a little problem. It is now an accident.

UPSGUY72

I agree there has to be something more to this story than getting the rig stuck and having to get towed. I don't think that this guy is telling his wife the whole story (ie other things that have happen in the since he started). Just like everyone else that gets fired they only tell the parts of the story that make them look like the one getting the shaft for no reason.

I sence that this guy might not want his wife to know the whole truth, other wise he would be on here asking questions about how to try to get hos job back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree there has to be something more to this story than getting the rig stuck and having to get towed. I don't think that this guy is telling his wife the whole story (ie other things that have happen in the since he started). Just like everyone else that gets fired they only tell the parts of the story that make them look like the one getting the shaft for no reason.

I sence that this guy might not want his wife to know the whole truth, other wise he would be on here asking questions about how to try to get hos job back.

So ... you think he was having an affair with the dispatcher's wife?
That could explain it.

tieguy

Banned

thats a possibility but I'm really not trying to slam the missus while they are down. Sometime other factors are at work here. Part of the problem that I see is too much authority appears to be in one persons hands. The manager in this case hires and fires? Hiring a tractor trailer driver can be a big expense with all the regulatory compliance issues involved.

I wonder if there were any regular job performance reviews during the training cycle or if the manager just suddenly surprised the driver on day 30. were there minimum performance standards that had to be met by day 30 that he did not achieve? Does frieght have some type of DQF packet and training program involved. We occasionally get feeder driver candidates who already have their cdl but they still have to go through our two week qualifying process before we qualify them.

what kind of training did he go through before we let him loose?

Re-Raise

rainey 08 since your husband was still in his probationary period they can probably let him go without dealing with the union. It sounds lke the terminal manager has the discretion to keep the employees he wants to during this time.

Your husband's best chance may be trying to convince the terminal manager not to give up on him. They obviously saw potential in your husband as an employee when they hired him.

Unless there is something else that has caused them to change their mind , I would think he could admit that he made a mistake and won't repeat it if given another chance.

If the terminal manager wants him gone it will be tough.

Good luck to you both.

rainey08

thats a possibility but I'm really not trying to slam the missus while they are down. Sometime other factors are at work here. Part of the problem that I see is too much authority appears to be in one persons hands. The manager in this case hires and fires? Hiring a tractor trailer driver can be a big expense with all the regulatory compliance issues involved.

I wonder if there were any regular job performance reviews during the training cycle or if the manager just suddenly surprised the driver on day 30. were there minimum performance standards that had to be met by day 30 that he did not achieve? Does frieght have some type of DQF packet and training program involved. We occasionally get feeder driver candidates who already have their cdl but they still have to go through our two week qualifying process before we qualify them.

what kind of training did he go through before we let him loose?

He had the normal 1 week training period, then was turned loose on his own. No other evaluations, the safety manager would call him and tell him that he hears he is doing a great job. So when UPS corporate told the manager to fire him we werent the old ones surprised, the safety guy, and all the drivers were too. The are all trying to get the manager to give him a second chance, she is the only one who can. If we hear nothing by friday 12/17 then he was told to bring in his uniforms and he will get him $ back.

rainey08

rainey 08 since your husband was still in his probationary period they can probably let him go without dealing with the union. It sounds lke the terminal manager has the discretion to keep the employees he wants to during this time.

Your husband's best chance may be trying to convince the terminal manager not to give up on him. They obviously saw potential in your husband as an employee when they hired him.

Unless there is something else that has caused them to change their mind , I would think he could admit that he made a mistake and won't repeat it if given another chance.

If the terminal manager wants him gone it will be tough.

Good luck to you both.

He has told them he was sorry he made a rookie mistake, and he learned from that. Everyone is taking turns trying to talk to her to have him come back. So if they cant get her to change her mind by friday then he was told to bring his uniforms in. Thanks for the advice.