my husband was given shaft at 30 days

christy1234

my husband just got done taking the training. was on his 30th day - and heard nothing but great things from his manager, fellow managers/supervisors, they told him he was doing great. he worked so hard at his job - and they gave him a junk run for his training. he never had less than 150 stops. and he was a trainee. they told him he was an excellent drive. then for no reason --on his 30th day he was told not to come in. then they told him his numbers weren't where they were supposed to be. then he was told that someone would drive w/him the next day but then he got a text saying he shouldnt' come in. they haven't even given him a formal firing. they just never called him back. I think this is such a poor way to run a business. this seems strange to me that no one ever told him anything but great things then this happened. I sort of think they discriminated against him cause he is older. I cannot think of anything else. does anyone have any advice?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Sorry for what happened to your husband. I wish I could say that your husband's case was an aberration, but it's not.

That's the way most UPS management treat people. Especially new people.

Again, I am sorry it wasn't a better experience for him.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This happens a lot. Don't know that you have a lot of recourse. Exact thing happened to my son. What it amounts to is they get a coverage driver for 30 days with no strings. Cut them loose, then do it all over again. It is the nature of the beast.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
A lot of times complaining to the supervisor or even the center manager won't do any good, since 1 of them probably trained him, and recommended that he be cut loose and the center manager probably signed off on it. One is not going to make the other look bad. If you genuinely think he was done wrong, I'd go straight to HR. I have heard of them giving trainees do-overs. Just insist he go to another center for the retraining.

fres431

Get union involved even tho your not in it yet..union recognizes safety not numbers. If attendance was good and you have a good ba you'll get it back. I've seen it happen

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ill play devils advocate. Anyway hubby was lying because he didn't want the wrath of wife?

What I mean is maybe he knew he was sucking?

purplesky

my husband just got done taking the training. was on his 30th day - and heard nothing but great things from his manager, fellow managers/supervisors, they told him he was doing great. he worked so hard at his job - and they gave him a junk run for his training. he never had less than 150 stops. and he was a trainee. they told him he was an excellent drive. then for no reason --on his 30th day he was told not to come in. then they told him his numbers weren't where they were supposed to be. then he was told that someone would drive w/him the next day but then he got a text saying he shouldnt' come in. they haven't even given him a formal firing. they just never called him back. I think this is such a poor way to run a business. this seems strange to me that no one ever told him anything but great things then this happened. I sort of think they discriminated against him cause he is older. I cannot think of anything else. does anyone have any advice?

How old are we talking? UPS Package car is a young mans game.

He could go work for FDX ground? There is a UPS driver on here named Upstate and he has a hard on for FDX ground.
Upstate would be the guy to ask about getting hired at FDX ground. :laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

Fedex Guy

Just curious, but is this in MD? Sounds like a situation I just witnessed.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

UPSGUY72

Has he called them back ?????

It's not believable that your husband wasn't talked to about his performance during his 30 days. You only know what your husband told you. He might have left some things out of the conversation he had with you as it seems that you probably want him to get the job more then he wanted it after he found out what the jobs really is like.

Being a package car driver isn't for everyone no matter how bad a person wants to be one. The learning curve is steep you either have the ability to adapt or you don't. You have to have the ability to adapt to changes daily...

A high number of stops on a route doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad route.

I'd be carefully about saying they are discriminating against your husband because of his age that could be taken as they shouldn't have given him so much work because he older.