my husband was given shaft at 30 days

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
In RTW states, non-dues paying workers do not have the right to grieve?

Within your first 30 working days in this region, you are paying dues and initiation up-front.

As a steward in a right-to-scab state, I have to process a non-member's grievances.

That doesn't mean I have to get it settled, adjusted, or can't withdraw it for lack of merit.

BrownChoice

I was always within .30 clicks over, worst was .92 over, best was -.60, averaged about +.10-.20 over. Im mid 20's and I did make it.

150 stops/per day. Between 65-80miles a day.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As a steward in a right-to-scab state, I have to process a non-member's grievances.

That doesn't mean I have to get it settled, adjusted, or can't withdraw it for lack of merit.
I'm not getting into all of that, just saying that...."BUG" is either speaking with massive rhetoric or very wrong.

purplesky

Upstate has a "hard on" for the business model used over at Ground.

The FDX ground business model will allow a older guy who couldn't make the 30 day driver bootcamp at UPS
to work basically the same job. Unfortunately if he goes to FDX ground. Its not a living wage? No pension? No health insurance? No vacation? No real job protections? No real future?

If he did 29 days driving at UPS he can do FDX ground with ease.

If this guy has kids he might qualify for government food stamps,health insurance and housing assistance while working for FDX ground? Especially if his wife doesn't work?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Please quote that Article and Section for me when you find it.....

Sure.

Article 37, Section 1 (a)
"The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee."

Any time anyone has given one of our older drivers a hard time about "performance" we've just said "age and ability" and the conversation has ended.

UPSGUY72

Sure.

Article 37, Section 1 (a)
"The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee."

Any time anyone has given one of our older drivers a hard time about "performance" we've just said "age and ability" and the conversation has ended.

That is very vague as most contractual language is. It also doesn't say that the old you get that less stops you get.

Why would a steward bring up "age and ability" when all they have to say there isn't any performance standards in the contract.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That is very vague as most contractual language is. It also doesn't say that the old you get that less stops you get.

Why would a steward bring up "age and ability" when all they have to say there isn't any performance standards in the contract.
I agree that much of the contract is left open to interpretation, which we use to our advantage.

Right, there are not any performance standards other than a fair days work for a fair days pay, and the age and ability helps clarify an appropriate expectation for what is a fair day's work when a driver is older.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
No it's not whether your 21 or 50 your should be getting the same number of stops on the same route. It's not I'm 50 so I should have less stops.....
Right,one certainly dosent say that.
What one does is work safely,by the methods,drives the speed limits and EVERY DAY works at a pace that can sustain a 30+ year career. One gets on the 9.5 list and files when violations occur. When one is paid Three times in Five months one has a meeting with the center manager and District Labor Manager and the workload will then be reduced.

You DO understand routes are dispatched according to the Driver running the route dont you??

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You DO understand routes are dispatched according to the Driver running the route dont you??
Exactly. When I was a cover guy there were these annoying condos that would magically follow me across 2 different routes I'd cover and a junk split "level route."

By the same token the guy who used to run my route was a runner/lunch skipper and I've gotten the stop count lowered on average 15-20 stops per day since I took over the route.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I have a feeling the OP's husband ran 4 hours over every day.

I don't know what's more annoying, all these clowns who take no initiative themselves to find out why something happened or the wives and husbands getting on here thinking one of us actually has the answer as to why their spouse isn't working out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't know what's more annoying, all these clowns who take no initiative themselves to find out why something happened or the wives and husbands getting on here thinking one of us actually has the answer as to why their spouse isn't working out.
Agreed.....I think like Wally said....maybe the OP's husband wasn't entirely honest with his spouse about how the job was going.