My own route

UnderPaidSucka

The last two weeks I did my management team a favor and jumped off my bid route so they could train a cover driver on it. Iv'e only had this route since March.
Come tomorrow the favors are over and I want back on my own route.
Can they do anything about it? Can they say "work as directed" and make me work elsewhere?
I'm a full time driver.
Thanks for your help

Buck Fifty

First of all you get your name honestly. The Sucka part anyway. Go in tomorrow and run your bid route and never ever do that again. They can't say anything or do anything (well except maybe cut your route out). So, let me ask, What are you expecting back for this drug deal ?

kingOFchester

I have been to told we don't bid routes we bid start times. We do "bid" routes, but the claim is they can move us as needed to service our customers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been to told we don't bid routes we bid start times. We do "bid" routes, but the claim is they can move us as needed to service our customers.

This is simply not true. The only time they can move us is if we bid a training route.

"Jumping" should not be encouraged but then again it's kind of nice to go back on a route that you used to have for a day or so----but not for two weeks.

It is your call but you do have the right to run your bid route when you report to work tomorrow morning.

CAFAL

They should have trained that person on the route you covered. Now if they give you a hard time tomorrow and you file a greivance, that favor meant nothing. Hope you learned your lesson

Buck Fifty

This is simply not true. The only time they can move us is if we bid a training route.

"Jumping" should not be encouraged but then again it's kind of nice to go back on a route that you used to have for a day or so----but not for two weeks.

It is your call but you do have the right to run your bid route when you report to work tomorrow morning.

Believe there was some sarcasm there . Always here to help ya upstate !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They should have trained that person on the route you covered. Now if they give you a hard time tomorrow and you file a greivance, that favor meant nothing. Hope you learned your lesson

It sounds as though the OP may be going on vacation soon and due to staffing issues they needed to train someone new to cover his area.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The only time they can move us is if we bid a training route.

As much as it pains me to agree with Upstate, he is right. Around here, if you bid a "training route", you may be be bumped off it for as long as six weeks in order to qualify a new driver. However, if a less senior qualified driver is assigned your route, you can bump him/her.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Never come off your bid route. Ever.

I agree that it should not be encouraged but it is nice to have a change of scenery every once in a while.

The last time I did this I jumped off my city run to cover a country run that I used to be the bid driver for. The driver who I had replaced had bad-mouthed me before I took over the run. I ran it for 3 years and loved it except during the winter. Anyway, he took the run back when I bid off it. I was asked to jump and cover the run for a day. I absolutely crushed the run and was back at the building at 3:15 with every package delivered and all 4 pickups made. The best part was that the bid driver happened to be at the bldg picking up his paycheck when I came off road. The look on his face was priceless. My on-car saw and told me to quickly punch out and be gone or else they would send me out to help someone else.

UPSGUY72

The last two weeks I did my management team a favor and jumped off my bid route so they could train a cover driver on it. Iv'e only had this route since March.
Come tomorrow the favors are over and I want back on my own route.
Can they do anything about it? Can they say "work as directed" and make me work elsewhere?
I'm a full time driver.
Thanks for your help

Your going to have 2 problems. 1. Your route now can be considered or was always a training route. 2. The driver they are train is entitled to stay on the same route until they make there 30 days.

Buck Fifty

As much as it pains me to agree with Upstate, he is right. Around here, if you bid a "training route", you may be be bumped off it for as long as six weeks in order to qualify a new driver. However, if a less senior qualified driver is assigned your route, you can bump him/her.

OP is a bid driver !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OP is a bid driver !

Training routes are bid runs. Drivers who accept this bid do so knowing that they can be displaced for up to 6 weeks to qualify a new driver. A driver that agrees to jump to allow mgt to train a cover driver does so knowing that the run will be there waiting for him and that the run will not be converted in to a training route--this cannot be done during a bid cycle.

I still contend that the OP jumped so that they could train someone to cover his area when he goes on vacation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I bet the company plays that hand and I bet the union agrees with the company....

The company cannot change the designation of any route during a bid cycle. They can cut the route as much as they want but they cannot make it a training route during a bid cycle. We used to have just one training route---we now have one in every loop but each were clearly identified as such. As for the 30 days---that would be only if the route were a training route. It is very unusual for a driver to agree to jump for two weeks and I have a feeling that mgt is thinking what you were thinking.