my peers are being force to take full hour

Glorifiedpackmule

Haha, legal in "conservative" Texas?
They can probably make you do just about anything they please down there.
A full hour is nothing.

It's a management tactic to boost sph. Been there.. In the middle of it rightnow. If you think an hour is bad just wait. It'll turn into a 1.5 hour if they think they can get away with it.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
At face value I'd say that it's either entirely legal, or illegal but with an exploitable loophole in the verbiage of the law.

I'll try looking it up for ya.

Glorifiedpackmule

At face value I'd say that it's either entirely legal, or illegal but with an exploitable loophole in the verbiage of the law.

I'll try looking it up for ya.

I'd like to know also if you find anything .We're going through the same mess in my district right now. Management enforces it in such a way that's it almost impossible for anyone to tell if it's legal or not.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I would almost testify in court that the People Manual (aka The Big Joke Book) states in policy that an employee is only REQUIRED to take an hour break if they either have gone or will go over 8 hours in a work day. There are always exceptions to that rule I know, but forcing everyone to take an hour when it's not necessary is just pouring lemon juice on the paper cut. Didn't they want to cut out half an hour a day? There's an easy 30 mins per courier on road over 6 hours. If I was in that predicament, it would probably take me 30 extra minutes to finish.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
As far as I can tell it's completely legal in Texas and under the FSLA. D. Breaks

Couple that with being an at will employee and it does not look good for the employee, however vague the law is written.

* Of course this is what I could dig up in short order and is completely open to correction.

whenIgetthere

I would almost testify in court that the People Manual (aka The Big Joke Book) states in policy that an employee is only REQUIRED to take an hour break if they either have gone or will go over 8 hours in a work day. There are always exceptions to that rule I know, but forcing everyone to take an hour when it's not necessary is just pouring lemon juice on the paper cut. Didn't they want to cut out half an hour a day? There's an easy 30 mins per courier on road over 6 hours. If I was in that predicament, it would probably take me 30 extra minutes to finish.

We've been forced to take an hour regardless of hours for all FT for a couple of years now. Because of this, some routes that used to run their day in two cycles (the routes that are usually heavy on SOS), now have to run it in three. So now instead of getting 8 to 8-1/2 hours, they're getting 9 to 9-1/2 hrs. Brilliant idea!

Glorifiedpackmule

I'm sure the mindset of doing this is that the Courier will bust a** trying to get done in that shorter amount of time so they can get off and go home at the same time. If it were me I would stay an extra 30 minutes to get my work done in a safe manner.

Myort

I'm sure the mindset of doing this is that the Courier will bust a** trying to get done in that shorter amount of time so they can get off and go home at the same time. If it were me I would stay an extra 30 minutes to get my work done in a safe manner.

That is exactly the mindset.

El Morado Diablo

Our station was recently told we all had to take mandatory one hour breaks. Routes that didn't meet goal for the week would be required to take mandatory 1 hour and 20 minute breaks the next week. We didn't last two days the following week before they moved start times back 20 minutes (tomorrow will be 30 minutes). The results are as laughable as they are predictable -- late P1's, late SO, overtime over 15%, cartage agents to return outbound, etc.

whenIgetthere

Of course it was, BUT do it faster and safely! Yeah, right!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our station was recently told we all had to take mandatory one hour breaks. Routes that didn't meet goal for the week would be required to take mandatory 1 hour and 20 minute breaks the next week. We didn't last two days the following week before they moved start times back 20 minutes (tomorrow will be 30 minutes). The results are as laughable as they are predictable -- late P1's, late SO, overtime over 15%, cartage agents to return outbound, etc.

Sounds like "excellent" management to me. This is happening everywhere, and it's obvious they don't have a clue. Somewhere in Memphis, a brilliant mind that has never been on the road and doesn't know his ass from a door knob created a spreadsheet showing that we could "do more". As was stated, the results are totally predictable....chaos.

LTFedExer

We've been forced to take an hour regardless of hours for all FT for a couple of years now. Because of this, some routes that used to run their day in two cycles (the routes that are usually heavy on SOS), now have to run it in three. So now instead of getting 8 to 8-1/2 hours, they're getting 9 to 9-1/2 hrs. Brilliant idea!
We can take 30 minutes if we work between 5-8 hours. But, I wouldn't hesitate to run 3 cycles if forced to take an hour.

You only need to take an hour if your going over 8. People at the Ramps have been taking two to four hour breaks. Then they wonder why they have a hard time keeping good help.