My pickup

GiselleR

I have a UPS pickup everyday for a small business I run. I don't ship a ton but to make a long story short and get to my question:

Since I moved locations about 7-8 months ago the driver who is a super nice guy delivers my area in the early afternoon generally which is convenient for me (both of us I thought) because if I have my boxes ready early I just walk them out to his truck when he's parked across the street. Sometimes I have to leave early and it works out great.

So anyway, today he was right in front of my place at 12:30 and I was leaving the shop at 2:00 for a business appointment. I carried 5 small packages out to his truck and even already closed my shipping on the computer so I had the slip it prints out. Only today he said that he couldn't accept my packages at that time. He said that his boss told all the drivers they're not allowed to do pickups outside of the time that is in their machine under any circumstance and was very apologetic. It forced me to have to drive a few miles to at least drop off the overnight package in a box on the other side of town.

I don't want to get my driver in trouble, he is really a great guy and I've never had a problem with UPS before. Prefer you guys over FedEx but it was kind of insulting for him not to take packages that I needed shipped with the piece of paper that closes my shipping for the day and everything. Is there anything I can do about this?

JackStraw

Probably a younger driver and he was worried about getting in trouble. UPS has more rules than a Tibeaten Monastery and they want us to be within either side of 30 mins of a scheduled P/U. A senior driver would have taken your parcels no questions asked.

Box Ox

it was kind of insulting for him not to take packages that I needed shipped with the piece of paper that closes my shipping for the day and everything. Is there anything I can do about this?

Ask the driver if he'll take the packages early if you don't need an End of Day scan.

GiselleR

He is a younger guy. I would guess 30. He said that he would come back later to get them but if I wasn't there that wouldn't do any good obviously. He told me they are under a lot of pressure to be in some kind of window and that he'd get in trouble if he wasn't. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have packages sitting in my shop now that should have shipped today.

But like I said he's always been very flexible with me even more so than the driver I had before I moved and he's always super friendly. I don't want to get him in trouble at all. I guess I'll see if things are different going forward.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
He is a younger guy. I would guess 30. He said that he would come back later to get them but if I wasn't there that wouldn't do any good obviously. He told me they are under a lot of pressure to be in some kind of window and that he'd get in trouble if he wasn't. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have packages sitting in my shop now that should have shipped today.

But like I said he's always been very flexible with me even more so than the driver I had before I moved and he's always super friendly. I don't want to get him in trouble at all. I guess I'll see if things are different going forward.

Next time you see the driver ask for his bosses number and have him explain it you

Almost sure it won't make any sense

WorknLateHuh

Ask the driver if he can take the end of day with him along with the pkgs to scan at the correct pickup time.

Some centers get bent out of shape about doing that, but our center is halfway understanding if you explain it helps out the customer

SafetyFirst

Definitely pickup compliance lol.

Been a big deal lately we were told a nuclear attack wouldn't be an acceptable excuse for not being in the pickup window. Had one driver get written up for a success pickup that wasn't in the window the next day. I didn't get written up but I know I missed 2 windows cause I can't be at 12 places in 3 different towns at the same time

GiselleR

It still doesn't make any sense to me but I guess since you guys are all saying the same thing he must have been telling me the truth. I didn't exactly think he was lying but sometimes you just get skeptical when things don't make any sense.

I guess I'll deal with it for the time being and hope next time it works out different. Thank you everyone for your replies

over9five

Staff member
Take the customers packages, have it out with your boss in the am.
You did the right thing, you have no worries. Take care of the customer.

JackStraw

Young drivers so hellishly micromanaged by their center managers and supervisors that they're afraid to make a mistake.
Or do anything that makes sense.
I had a split off a younger driver that had a pick up in the development. I offered to make the pick up and text him the bar code. He would have none of it.

SafetyFirst

Everyone is always so worried about getting fired for something stupid.

We had guys closing pickups that they had already made later on inside the window. That's a risk too though cause if something ever gets screwed up they'll know you weren't at the pickup when you completed it. Good luck explaining that.

over9five

Staff member
I like to think I'll never get fired for doing the right thing for a customer.
And I'd never make a customer make a trip to a drop box when she's standing at my truck door with her packages. That's plain stupid.