My station managers are saying that if you call off on a Friday or Monday you need a doctor's note

There are papers posted up by every time clock, as far as i know if you call off 3 days you need one. But now if you call off either monday or Friday you do...Im just wondering if they can they enforce this?some people are saying they are gunna call off tomorrow just to see what will happen lol

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There are papers posted up by every time clock, as far as i know if you call off 3 days you need one. But now if you call off either monday or Friday you do...Im just wondering if they can they enforce this?some people are saying they are gunna call off tomorrow just to see what will happen lol

Call the bluff

See if they're as bad as they think they are

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Yes, they can enforce it. Policy recommendation is that they only do so when an employee has a questionable attendance record. You can probably get away with it if you have a good attendance history.

My own philosophy is to do whatever I reasonably figure I can get away with until they tell me to stop. "We'll just let it go this time."

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This has been policy at my station for over a year. And now that we have all these newbies who have such problems coming to work, ANY time we call out sick or for a Personal day we have to bring documentation or risk not being paid for the day.

dezguy

They can enforce it but, in my experience, a call to hr usually shuts a policy like that down pretty quick, especially if your attendance isn't a problem.

The last time that happened to me, years ago, my Dr. was fed up with companies asking for Dr. notes, so he started invoicing places who asked for notes. My manager didn't even know what to say when a $20 invoice arrived in the mail for my Dr. note. lol

MAKAVELI

Yes, they can enforce it. Policy recommendation is that they only do so when an employee has a questionable attendance record. You can probably get away with it if you have a good attendance history.

My own philosophy is to do whatever I reasonably figure I can get away with until they tell me to stop. "We'll just let it go this time."
That depends on state laws. They can't enforce it in California.

Maui

Yes, it is enforceable unless state law prevents it. There are several states now that have laws requiring employers to provide sick time and list when notes can be requested. Some cities or counties have their own requirements as well. Would be nice to get those laws in all states, or a federal law.

In those places calling out sick does not count against attendance and in some you can use sick time for your immediate family also.

I think you could press the issue and say it creates a financial burden to go to the doctor and that you may have to miss another day to be seen.

MAKAVELI

They can enforce it there no differently than they can anywhere else, not that they ever do.
Like I said they can't enforce it in California. We were handed out a memo of the law and acknowledged that we read it.
California Paid Sick Leave: Frequently Asked Questions
This means, in general terms, that if an employee has accrued sick days available, an employer may not deny the employee the right to use those accrued paid sick days, including the right to use paid sick leave for a partial day (e.g., to attend a doctor’s appointment), and may not discipline the employee for doing so.

Many employers have attendance policies under which employees may be given an “occurrence” or similar adverse personnel action (which is a form of discipline with potentially negative repercussions) if the employee has an unscheduled absence or provides insufficient notice of an absence. Under the terms of the paid sick leave law (and Labor Code sections 233 and 234), if an employee has accrued and available sick leave, and is using his or her accrued paid sick leave for a purpose as specified in the law, it is not permissible for an employer to give the employee an “occurrence” for the absence under such an attendance policy because this would constitute a form of discipline against an employee for using his or her paid sick leave as allowed under the paid sick leave law.

SmithBarney

All you have to do is go to the online doctor in a video chat and say I'm sick and need a note. They will say ok and email you a note. I've actually done this using my iphone and it costs nothing. Talked to a random doctor for about 2 minutes.

I think for most employees, it's the principle of the who ordeal. Your company provides "sick" days as a benefit, the moment they start to "question" the legitimacy of your "sickness" builds a relationship of distrust.
Now if Joe Blow is/has been sick only on Fridays, management probably should inquire about it. But if a random regular non problem employee calls out randomly do you really want that relationship to sour? If I thought for a moment my boss distrusted me, it really would twist the dynamic of our relationship, and my performance.

Express Courier

I think for most employees, it's the principle of the who ordeal. Your company provides "sick" days as a benefit, the moment they start to "question" the legitimacy of your "sickness" builds a relationship of distrust.
Now if Joe Blow is/has been sick only on Fridays, management probably should inquire about it. But if a random regular non problem employee calls out randomly do you really want that relationship to sour? If I thought for a moment my boss distrusted me, it really would twist the dynamic of our relationship, and my performance.
Totally agree. And in my case I had never had them question me but then I called out 3 times in about a 3 month span and all were on a Monday, one of them being after the Superbowl lol. To me it was just a whatever, I wanted to try the online doctor thing out anyway and that gave me the opportunity to check it out.