My thoughts on Peak as a Driver Helper this December

Florans

The rental trucks sucked, and nothing was sorted properly. The legit old UPS truck had virtually no heat, so by 10 pm after 12 hours in 20 degree temps you felt like you were being tortured when that wind chill hit you. I have great sympathy for the drivers, as this is no way to live; if you can't even see your family outside of the weekend, or have a moment to decompress and actually use your brain beyond sorting PAL numbers and thinking of street routes, what's the point? Good pay, but it's selling your soul to the devil. I'm athletic and played multiple sports at a high level, but jesus christ I could barely walk after that first day with like 320 residential stops in the rain.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The rental trucks sucked, and nothing was sorted properly. The legit old UPS truck had virtually no heat, so by 10 pm after 12 hours in 20 degree temps you felt like you were being tortured when that wind chill hit you. I have great sympathy for the drivers, as this is no way to live; if you can't even see your family outside of the weekend, or have a moment to decompress and actually use your brain beyond sorting PAL numbers and thinking of street routes, what's the point? Good pay, but it's selling your soul to the devil. I'm athletic and played multiple sports at a high level, but jesus christ I could barely walk after that first day with like 320 residential stops in the rain.
McDonald's is hiring.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
P*

MrFeeder

yeah and @UpstateNYUPSer thinks this job doesn’t deserve 100k plus a year.

UnionGuy

Run, you get less tired. Jogging also helps. It gets super easy once you start running. Trust me, you can run 300 stops and still be good to run a mile after.

quad decade guy

Well I played high school football and started on a then 5A team. And while there, could run all

day and practice in 104 weather. I was fit. I think it prepared me for the job. Sweating and

working long days was cake compared to football. Physical part never bothered me. It was the

biggest A wholes in the world that you had to work for. As far as living, most self-employed

folks with businesses will talk of long hours and the rest of it. My daughter is a grade

school teacher making $57k. She hates it. Can't wait to quit. UPS isn't for most folks and

I never recommend it to anyone. But, I live comfortably and have a nice home and things

with free insurance, $100k+ income, 7 weeks vacation. Most people who know me or

come to my home, seem to admire the perks. Mostly because they make $50k and live

on what $50k provides while buying scratch off lottery tickets....What is quality of life?

Good question. I have been pondering this for the last 40 years.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there never will be a harder working generation as people who grew up in the Great Depression. well , maybe their parents, grand parents, great grandparents , etc , etc.
The American gene pool is getting weaker and weaker.

Even our Italian Mobsters are not as tough as the Russians , Albanians , Mexican , etc.

Nike

My strategy is to do the job and then afterward to do some type of physical exercise. It can be as extreme as going to the gym for a hard workout, or just walking to the store and carrying my groceries home. Either way, it builds up your endurance so that in the future your body is well equipped to the job plus a little extra without feeling too tired or banged up in the end.

rod

Retired 22 years
My strategy is to do the job and then afterward to do some type of physical exercise. It can be as extreme as going to the gym for a hard workout, or just walking to the store and carrying my groceries home. Either way, it builds up your endurance so that in the future your body is well equipped to the job plus a little extra without feeling too tired or banged up in the end.
I'm enjoying letting my body go to hell. I spent way too many years being too damn good looking.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm enjoying letting my body go to hell. I spent way too many years being too damn good looking.
daily_39.jpg

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
pusillanimous

Dough99

Well I played high school football and started on a then 5A team. And while there, could run all

day and practice in 104 weather. I was fit. I think it prepared me for the job. Sweating and

working long days was cake compared to football. Physical part never bothered me. It was the

biggest A wholes in the world that you had to work for. As far as living, most self-employed

folks with businesses will talk of long hours and the rest of it. My daughter is a grade

school teacher making $57k. She hates it. Can't wait to quit. UPS isn't for most folks and

I never recommend it to anyone. But, I live comfortably and have a nice home and things

with free insurance, $100k+ income, 7 weeks vacation. Most people who know me or

come to my home, seem to admire the perks. Mostly because they make $50k and live

on what $50k provides while buying scratch off lottery tickets....What is quality of life?

Good question. I have been pondering this for the last 40 years.

why
Are

You

typing like this