My timecard already says that I'm getting paid today for a "Legal Holiday", however, we are expected to come in today.

Frankie11

Hopefully some rank and file members on here could help me with a problem. My timecard says that I'm getting paid today because it is a legal holiday, however, I was told that we are getting paid 1.5x if we come in today. Should I call my local union?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I always hated this day as an air driver.
Forced to work at regular pay.
Plus they always switched up the routine.
Early drop box collections, dumped everything in a 24 footer and had to drive it to another building.
Where the people were less organized about what was required.
The building was locked up and one had to park the vehicle and walk around , looking for an open door.
And then find who was in charge.

Package Stick

"Send it."
Hopefully some rank and file members on here could help me with a problem. My timecard says that I'm getting paid today because it is a legal holiday, however, I was told that we are getting paid 1.5x if we come in today. Should I call my local union?
We're getting double time today.

$$$

rod

Retired 22 years
Early drop box collections, dumped everything in a 24 footer and had to drive it to another building.
The building was locked up and one had to park the vehicle and walk around , looking for an open door.
Sounds like a great way to get some EASY money--(if you are forced to work. I would have walked around the building twice before finding an open door and then went out of my way to NOT run into who was in charge.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
You more than likely were still guaranteed your minimum hours even though it was a holiday. Check your contract or get with a knowledgeable steward.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Luckily our union fought to get this in the contract. Are there any other days that are similar to Black Friday?
Here in New England Columbus Day, Veterans Day and Black Friday are all treated the same. It’s a regular work day in the sense that everyone is expected to report and is guaranteed eight hours. Full timers get 8 hours holiday pay and are paid at time a a half for all hours worked up to ten hours. If we go over 10 we are paid at two and a quarter time for all hours worked over 10. The .33 hour time bonus for going over 10 is also paid at two and a quarter time.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Black Friday used to be a special operation day. I worked it two years as an air driver. Then, when I went ground, it became a working holiday. I will vote no on any contract that does not get us our holidays off, guaranteed, no more working holiday bull :censored2:.

Mr. Marshall

Black Friday used to be a special operation day. I worked it two years as an air driver. Then, when I went ground, it became a working holiday. I will vote no on any contract that does not get us our holidays off, guaranteed, no more working holiday bull :censored2:.
You may as well vote now because that is about 100th on our list of demands and will not be changed or even looked at for more than a minute so it doesn't matter what else is negotiated if that is a deal breaker for you. The company obviously needs us to work today as they are essentially paying triple time to hundreds of people per building and if they could they would obviously prefer to avoid it. I would say it's more possible that he union trades double time on this day for something else and it becomes a regular working day. My wife worked today and did not receive any extra money as is the same for most people working today.

Most high seniority air drivers take this week as vacation. Get paid double time for Thursday and Friday and the week off.