Necroposting

B

bobo

I just took a combo job. Question I have is can I bump part-timers at the end of the shift for more time or do I just have to accept it when they tell me I can't go over 8 hours

B

big_arrow_up

Isn't 40 hours enough? Why bump a part-timer? They need to earn a living too. }

traveler

Where next? Venice
Believe it or not, I firmly believe that those USPS "priority boxes" were a stroke of genius for the post office. If you do any business on e-bay, many sellers use these exclusively since it makes their job of packing and shipping very simple and cost free. The buyer of an item picks up the cost to ship something that could have gone in an envelope for less than $1.00 nets the post office 300% to 400% more in revenue! Also, they are able to stack large groups of fully compatible items. Sure, some are used for purposes other than intended but I am also sure they are a real profit maker for the USPS.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Just got my UPS delivery this evening... It was a small package that was sent in one of those Priority Mail boxes! :D :eek: :D

DS

Fenderbender
I was 14 when I got my first beatles record.She loves you on 45rpm.
I`m 50 now and all those songs still sound good to me.I started at ups when I was 35 years old as a full time driver.I can relate certain songs to beatles tunes .Taxman and helter skelter are givens.Its nice when you have to deliver to penny lane,I never get the strawberry fields run,customer relations are hello goodbye,the long and winding road that leads to the hard days night that feels like its eight days a week.I should need help but yesterday I got a ticket to ride , hey jude ,let it be, I feel fine

wkmac

I appreciate the beatles but how about this:

You open your bulkhead door and out jumps this wooly creature and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

or

Your walking out a conveyor at the end of the sort and not watching your step, you trip and get "Close to the Edge" or dispatch has your loop making you think your just on a "Roundabout"

or

Like me you've been on vacation for going into the 2nd week and next week you walk back in to work with a "Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends" (Personally I prefer Tarkus, Trilogy and Pictures at an Exhibition more;))

or

You get called to the manager's office and you enter "Darkside of the Moon" or the manager gets out of hand so you say "Careful with that Axe Eugene"

or

You go to a Union meeting where you find "Several Species Of Small Furrry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict" (Yeah it's a Pink Floyd piece, not a song. It's a combination of sound and analog effects)

or

you come here and exchange comments with OK2BC and Tie who both believe they are the "Master of Reality" but sometimes is seems like "Into the Void". ;) Then again some threads with Tie & OK2BC get so intense they look at each other and say, it's just "And You and I" :D Sometimes I think they are each trying to take the other on a "Magic Carpet Ride" :eek: while hidding each other from what they percieve as the "Monster"
(seriously both of them are ok in my book)

or

Coming here at times reminds me of "Voyage 34" (about an LSD trip that went very wrong)but it can "Strip the Soul" Even leave one in a "Purple Haze" or "Manic Depression"

or

Back to the manager's office and tied to the "Whipping Post" after which you are walked across the "Bridge of Sighs"

or

To watch that first day driver walk in with a naive but innocent smile thinking "I'm a Virgin"

LOL!

Thanks to: Genesis (the real one with Gabriel and Hackett) Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Porcupine Tree (I know few people have but think of Pink Floyd combinded with goth metal with melodic ABBA harmonies) Steppenwolf, Jimi Hendrix, Alman Brothers, Robin Trower and lastly Madonna.

The Beatles IMO provided 1 of the 3 most ground breaking albums of the 60's in Sgt. Pepper's. The other 2? Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" and King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" JMO. I venture more to the King Crimson genre of music however but all music is good for the most part. I'd like to see someone use Country music in this thread as that would be a hoot!

Take this job and shove it! LOL!

wkmac

It was the music I grew up with as we are both about the same age. Still a huge fan of that era as I listen to anything from Genesis of which I'm a huge fan, saw Phil Collins when he had hair and only played behind the drum kit while Peter did the vocals and his theatrics but also enjoy King Crimson and pre-Darkside of the Moon Pink Floyd as well as a variety of not so well known progressive music of the 70's era. By the time "prog" was waining in the latter 70's and punk was taking over I had moved on to jazz, fusion and electronic music like Tangerine Dream. Still enjoy that genre today with artists like Jeff Kashiwa to Paul Hardcastle to Patrick O'Hearn but I'm just as likely to listen to Tony Iommie of Black Sabbath who btw is a huge fan of jazz and hopes to one day do a jazz album or Keith Urban or Brad Pasley who I think both are fantastic guitarists. My kids recently turned me on to Nickelback which I'm really liking.

I grew up with music and so did my wife who's late father was a professional guitarist in the late 40' and early 50's until he decided family life was more important. He was a contemporary of Hank Williams Sr. and I think his tragic end had some effect on him. My father-n-law recorded on 6 albums and played the Grand Ole' Opry twice before calling it a day professionally but he continued to play with friends over the years. He was awesome and had a style in the same vein as Les Paul and Chet Atkins, 2 of the real greats IMO.

We love music in our house and all 4 of my kids are musicians and on multiple instruments from piano, various woodwinds to strings including violin and guitars. We love everything from Beethoven to Bo Didley to Mozart to Bill Monroe to Earth, Wind & Fire to Nate King Cole to Ray Charles. We're also just as likely to play AC/DC or Opeth which I enjoy the dark tones but I've still not come to appreciate death vox yet. LOL! I heard it called "cookie monster" vocals once and always liked that tag.
One week we may attend a goth/metal concert and the next be at a concert of some awesome flat pickin' and fiddle playing and be just as happy and at home with either one. Just as an aside and if you like the style, we went to see country singer Terri Clark in September and she put on a super show which was a ton of fun. I was absolutely impressed with the sound system quality as the EQ was near perfect. The sound quality was on the level of sitting at home with a high end hi-fi system and listening to the music. If you like that style and genre I'd highly reccommend seeing her performance. She was a real treat IMO.

As for the Genesis bug, I hope to one day see one of my alltime favorite guitarist and that is former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett. A lot of people believe Eddie Van Halen founded the tapping style of guitar play but go back and listen to those early 70's Genesis albums. I think Edward and Alex were likely playing GI Joe instead of 6 strings and whammee bars at that time. Or maybe they were "To Hot For Teacher!" LOL!

Anytime and I mean anytime you want to talk music just post and I'll jump in. I'd rather talk music than UPS, politics, religion, sex..uh..that don't count with my wife;) or most other subjects and to be honest it's probably more productive than the other subjects too. :D

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just give me "Artificial Flowers" to make me feel like the "Queen of the Hop".
"you Must've Been a Beautiful Baby" because you have such a "Baby Face".

"I Didn't Know What Time it Was" when I lived "Beyond the Sea" hearing that "Splish Splash" from you, "Nature Boy".

"Bill Bailey" and I were "Just Friends".

"Early in the Morning" he gave me "Eighteen Yellow Roses" and "I Didn't Know What Time it Was" when we were "Up the Lazy River".

I'm not a "Plain Jane" and "I've Got Rhythem" just "Sitting on Top of the World" with "The Other Half of Me".

Know who my honey was?????

wkmac

moreluck said:
Know who my honey was?????

Bobby uh Bobby somebody? ;)

My wife and I almost rented the Kevin Spacey movie the other night but it is on our must see list. I never knew Spacey who I think is an incredible actor was such a huge Bobby Darin fan. I'm going to suspect you've seen the movie and what did you think?

If you haven't seen Jamie Foxx's "Ray" you gotta see it. Jamie does an awesome job and you totally lose Jamie and you only see Ray.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I did see Ray and it was excellent. On the Bobby Darin movie, Kevin Spacey did a good job and did his own singing. I enjoyed the movie.

I'm not a big fan of country music but I look forward to seeing the Johnny Cash movie that's out now......I'll wait for it to come to Blockbuster.

CFLBrown

toonertoo said:
I use them. Dont our taxes help subsidize the Post Office? So then its like a rebate, free boxes.

USPS is funded by the sale of stamps. They are not even part of .gov. I believe they also get away with not having to pay property taxes and what not on the land they own. I know they were paying FedEx to borrow space on their planes, not sure what the deal is with commercial carriers. So eat up those boxes quick before the price of stamps goes up.

Oh yea. I've noticed for a while that Prioirty Mail boxes have been slowly been kept behind the counter in favor of their 'new' type of boxes that you have to pay for. You can still order boxes online for free and your carrier will deliver them to your door. Enjoy!