need advice: footwear and management problem

Buru

Had a operations sort manager stand outside the guard shack and turn away any employee not in proper footwear, refusing to work them. My b.a. agrees the employees should have worn proper footwear, but he feels the manager handled it the wrong way by refusing to work these employees.. so I hung around the manager to take the names of everyone he refused to work, So they could file to get paid for the day.. 3 questions..
How should have the manager handled the situation?
Are these grievances winnable?
Does an operations manager also have to wear the proper footwear?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
he should have given a pcm on the issue and a week of clemency to get it fixed first

YOLO

yes but his proper footwear is different because his work is different

smokey711

I would approach it from the standpoint that these employees had essentially been suspended without following proper procedure (i.e. A verbal warning and a warning letter First).

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
depends what the,managers standards r for footwear, union goes by the contract, which is stated in it.

Future

Victory Ride
Had a operations sort manager stand outside the guard shack and turn away any employee not in proper footwear, refusing to work them. My b.a. agrees the employees should have worn proper footwear, but he feels the manager handled it the wrong way by refusing to work these employees.. so I hung around the manager to take the names of everyone he refused to work, So they could file to get paid for the day.. 3 questions..
They r turning workers away????. LMAO we can't get them 2 come in

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

TIR was spot on------if the employees were thoroughly briefed on the policy regarding proper footwear and were given a reasonable period of time in which they could "go shopping" in order to comply and they in essence blew off the directive the manager has every right to send them home.

I'll bet tomorrow's check that each and every one of the employees who were sent home will be in full compliance tomorrow morning.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I dont really know how you can take someone out of service off the clock in the parking lot.

rod

Retired 22 years
Is there anything in the dress code about what those who aren't drivers have to wear? I'm assuming because it was an operations sort manager he wasn't dealing with drivers. What about working the "past practices" angle? P.S.---the guy sounds like a real "d".

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If they aren't drivers and he wants them to wear proper footwear then he can break out the Amex and buy them some.

Is there anything in the dress code about what those who aren't drivers have to wear? I'm assuming because it was an operations sort manager he wasn't dealing with drivers. What about working the "past practices" angle? P.S.---the guy sounds like a real "d".

there is a footwear portion of the dress code that applies to insiders, it's the same as drivers

honestly it's a dumb rule because:
1. most managers interpret it to mean you have to wear boots, which is not accurate

2. your chance of injury is greater wearing heavier shoes that wear out your ankles or heels than the chance of you dropping something on your feet

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
there is a footwear portion of the dress code that applies to insiders, it's the same as drivers

honestly it's a dumb rule because:
1. most managers interpret it to mean you have to wear boots, which is not accurate

2. your chance of injury is greater wearing heavier shoes that wear out your ankles or heels than the chance of you dropping something on your feet

Gonna need Austin to confirm this

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
TIR was spot on------if the employees were thoroughly briefed on the policy regarding proper footwear and were given a reasonable period of time in which they could "go shopping" in order to comply and they in essence blew off the directive the manager has every right to send them home.

I'll bet tomorrow's check that each and every one of the employees who were sent home will be in full compliance tomorrow morning.

It's, I believe, the third thing gone over with every new employee.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's, I believe, the third thing gone over with every new employee.
I believe this to be a progressive issue, so unless these employees have warning letters on the subject, I don't see how their daily guarantee can be arbitrarily forfeited by the Company.

If it were my case to argue, that would be my angle.

PT Car Washer

I believe this to be a progressive issue, so unless these employees have warning letters on the subject, I don't see how their daily guarantee can be arbitrarily forfeited by the Company.

If it were my case to argue, that would be my angle.
I believe the company would say that it is a safety issue.

rod

Retired 22 years
I believe the company would say that it is a safety issue.

To them everything is a safety issue--unless it has to do with how fast a package is loaded or delivered---then all safety talk goes out the door. UPS has always preached safety out of one side of their mouth while screaming faster ,faster, faster out of the other side.