Need advice-got fired!

I del a nda/saver pkg to residential apartments-customer signed for. from habit I push reciever it show late, so I voided stop and retyped address & shipper #, customer resigned. Since I retyped info it was red flagged and loss prevention say 2nd signature doesn't match 1st. so I was terminated

over9five

Staff member
Sounds pretty lame, especially if the customer will back you up. Me thinks you'll have your job back.....

UNLESS.............

It just hit me how odd it is for UPS to fire a driver during Peak. Makes me think there's more to this story?

browndevil

I del a nda/saver pkg to residential apartments-customer signed for. from habit I push reciever it show late, so I voided stop and retyped address & shipper #, customer resigned. Since I retyped info it was red flagged and loss prevention say 2nd signature doesn't match 1st. so I was terminated
Funny, that is exactly what our sups tell us to do. Me thinks your termination will be a short one

Big Babooba

Sounds pretty lame, especially if the customer will back you up. Me thinks you'll have your job back.....

UNLESS.............

It just hit me how odd it is for UPS to fire a driver during Peak. Makes me think there's more to this story?
That was my first thought,

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Funny, that is exactly what our sups tell us to do. Me thinks your termination will be a short one
That's what they used to tell us to do. We had the the same thing happen in our center:
Driver had customer sign for residential saver,
hit receiver by mistake,
voided out all packages,
rescanned all packages,
had customer sign again and closed stop out properly as residential.

The next day he was in the office getting a warning letter because what he had done had raised a "red flag" somewhere. The new rule around here is, if you make that mistake you can't fix it, and you will be getting a warning letter for failing to follow proper procedures, ie, hitting the wrong button.

We have had at least two drivers fired in my building this week, counting the one who got walked to the gate yesterday. Both are total BS terminations that have no chance of holding up at panel. So no, they don't seem to have a problem firing guys during peak this year.

browndevil

That's what they used to tell us to do. We had the the same thing happen in our center:
Driver had customer sign for residential saver,
hit receiver by mistake,
voided out all packages,
rescanned all packages,
had customer sign again and closed stop out properly as residential.

The next day he was in the office getting a warning letter because what he had done had raised a "red flag" somewhere. The new rule around here is, if you make that mistake you can't fix it, and you will be getting a warning letter for failing to follow proper procedures, ie, hitting the wrong button.

We have had at least two drivers fired in my building this week, counting the one who got walked to the gate yesterday. Both are total BS terminations that have no chance of holding up at panel. So no, they don't seem to have a problem firing guys during peak this year.
With GPS now, why can't GPS recognize a resi verses a commercial stop and then prompt the driver? I have only 6 commercial stops so I sometimes make the mistake of hitting the resi key because my thumb goes there 99% of the time

Two fired in my building too. One reported an accident 40 minutes later and one missed 15 pieces and didnt tell a sup until he got back to the building. They are both back and learned a good lesson.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
With GPS now, why can't GPS recognize a resi verses a commercial stop and then prompt the driver? I have only 6 commercial stops so I sometimes make the mistake of hitting the resi key because my thumb goes there 99% of the time
That's a very good question. In fact why would it even take the GPS to figure that out, the system should be able to tell from the adress alone whether or not it is a resi. Another good question is why, if a driver makes an honest mistake, can't he just fix it right there, no harm no foul? The answer has to do with the people we work for.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Two fired in my building too. One reported an accident 40 minutes later and one missed 15 pieces and didnt tell a sup until he got back to the building. They are both back and learned a good lesson.
Both of ours were for failure to make cutoff, apparently it's a cardinal sin these days if you have a helper and still can't make 9.5. They are really going ballistic about this issue.

bumped

I have always asked why PAS can't indicate if an address was a business. It would seem to be a valuable tool for a coverage driver to know what is a resi and what is business.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Both of ours were for failure to make cutoff, apparently it's a cardinal sin these days if you have a helper and still can't make 9.5. They are really going ballistic about this issue.
Not at our center. We had 'em out up to 14 hours monday and Tuesday, and nobody was fired. The center manager even paid for breakfast Wenseday morning for all the hard work the PC guys did

tieguy

Banned

thats odd that they would put you on the street simply because the second signature did not look like the first one. Did you type in the same last name both times. Did LP speak with the customer?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
You would think that everyone would be told you can no longer void a pkg after you hit stop complete, but at UPS nothing surprises me.

We also had drivers fired and suspend during peak, a easy way to get a day off, just be seen driving without two hands on the wheel, guarantee the next day off. There was two drivers suspend last week one was driving while smoking a cig and the other was using his cell phone while making a del.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think

You will get or job back after a couple days off. There is a driver in my center that's always getting fired and he always gets his job back. There is a saying in my center that if they cant get rid of this guy, we have nothing to worry about