Need Advice! (not an employee)

Hi, I am new to the site and need your help! I have spent hours searching the forums to try to find the answers I am looking for but had no luck.

I found out about UPS through a coworker who I work with at my full time job. She works full time with a part time job at UPS in Hodgkins IL. I need a part time job to help pay for my sons college education, and from what my coworker tells me UPS would be the perfect choice. I filled out an application online for a Package Handler position and was asked to set up an appointment to come in and talk to them, my appointment is set for this coming Sat Nov 7th.

Here is problem #1, my hours at my full time job are anywhere from 7-8:00am through 5:00pm. The only shift that may possibly work for me would be the Twilight shift, which is listed as a 5:00pm- 9:00pm shift. My day job is 25 mins from the UPS in Hodgkins IL, so I realistically couldn't start until 6:00pm and make it on time everyday. I could stretch it and say I could make it there at 5:30pm, but the traffic would have to be good and I would have to be able to change clothes at my day job before I get off at 5 and be ready to hit the road right at 5 everyday. I already asked my boss if I would be possible to get off at 4pm everyday and she flat out said No! My coworker works 10am-7pm at our day job and the sunrise shift 4am-9am at UPS, she said that they do sometimes let people have staggered start times, so my plan is to ask if they will work with me and give me a start time of 5:30 or 6:00.

My question is when should I bring this up to UPS? Should I tell them upfront at the first tour/interview? How should I approach it? I really think UPS would be good fit for me, and I am in it for the long term, but I need to get my foot in the door. What would be the best way to convince them to give me a delayed start time?

Problem #2, I am scheduled to have surgery on Nov 17 and will be off from my full time job for 4 weeks to recover. My plan is to use this time to look for a second job so I can go on day time interviews once I am on my feet. When I filled out my application for UPS I put my expected start time as Dec 14 which will be when I expect to be back to work at my day job. My coworker told me that the first week of training is classroom time and the 5th day they put you in the warehouse. If the first week is classroom time, then I could probably start the training a week earlier and give them an expected start day of Dec 7. Because if I did start at 5:30 or 6 and classes started at 5, I would miss the first hour, so I am thinking I am better off doing the training before I go back to my day job.

My question is are you trained on the shift you will be working? Is the first week classroom? Did I apply too early compared to my start date? I read in some of the threads that they want you to start right away. Do you think its a good idea to start a week earlier to accommodate the training schedule and be able to give them an earlier start date.

I really appreciate any feedback you can give me!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Hi, I am new to the site and need your help! I have spent hours searching the forums to try to find the answers I am looking for but had no luck.

I found out about UPS through a coworker who I work with at my full time job. She works full time with a part time job at UPS in Hodgkins IL. I need a part time job to help pay for my sons college education, and from what my coworker tells me UPS would be the perfect choice. I filled out an application online for a Package Handler position and was asked to set up an appointment to come in and talk to them, my appointment is set for this coming Sat Nov 7th.

Here is problem #1, my hours at my full time job are anywhere from 7-8:00am through 5:00pm. The only shift that may possibly work for me would be the Twilight shift, which is listed as a 5:00pm- 9:00pm shift. My day job is 25 mins from the UPS in Hodgkins IL, so I realistically couldn't start until 6:00pm and make it on time everyday. I could stretch it and say I could make it there at 5:30pm, but the traffic would have to be good and I would have to be able to change clothes at my day job before I get off at 5 and be ready to hit the road right at 5 everyday. I already asked my boss if I would be possible to get off at 4pm everyday and she flat out said No! My coworker works 10am-7pm at our day job and the sunrise shift 4am-9am at UPS, she said that they do sometimes let people have staggered start times, so my plan is to ask if they will work with me and give me a start time of 5:30 or 6:00.

My question is when should I bring this up to UPS? Should I tell them upfront at the first tour/interview? How should I approach it? I really think UPS would be good fit for me, and I am in it for the long term, but I need to get my foot in the door. What would be the best way to convince them to give me a delayed start time?

Problem #2, I am scheduled to have surgery on Nov 17 and will be off from my full time job for 4 weeks to recover. My plan is to use this time to look for a second job so I can go on day time interviews once I am on my feet. When I filled out my application for UPS I put my expected start time as Dec 14 which will be when I expect to be back to work at my day job. My coworker told me that the first week of training is classroom time and the 5th day they put you in the warehouse. If the first week is classroom time, then I could probably start the training a week earlier and give them an expected start day of Dec 7. Because if I did start at 5:30 or 6 and classes started at 5, I would miss the first hour, so I am thinking I am better off doing the training before I go back to my day job.

My question is are you trained on the shift you will be working? Is the first week classroom? Did I apply too early compared to my start date? I read in some of the threads that they want you to start right away. Do you think its a good idea to start a week earlier to accommodate the training schedule and be able to give them an earlier start date.

I really appreciate any feedback you can give me!
TLDR.

But they will use and abuse you for 2 months and let you go. Good luck in your future endeavors

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Yea they probably won't hire you if you can't be there at start time. And like the other guy said, they are hiring you for peak, you will be gone after December.

Yea they probably won't hire you if you can't be there at start time. And like the other guy said, they are hiring you for peak, you will be gone after December.

The location has it posted in the job description that this location does not hire seasonal workers, so I am hoping to get in for a permanent position.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He is paying the other half! He wanted to give my son the gift of not having any debt after college

The "he" I was referring to was your son.

I have two kids and am also divorced. The topic of who pays for college never came up during our divorce. We worked it out to where we split their first year evenly between us and the subsequent years were split three ways. Our daughter followed the plan to a T and graduated with about $20K in student loan debt, which she has repaid. Our son decided to party during his freshman year, Mommy and Daddy cut off the checkbook and he went on to graduate with his 2 and 4 year degrees and an MBA all on his own dime. $73K in student loan debt. Ouch!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Certainly not your lily white, gated community, where the only minorities are the ones who cut the grass and deliver your groceries.
image.jpg

The "he" I was referring to was your son.

I have two kids and am also divorced. The topic of who pays for college never came up during our divorce. We worked it out to where we split their first year evenly between us and the subsequent years were split three ways. Our daughter followed the plan to a T and graduated with about $20K in student loan debt, which she has repaid. Our son decided to party during his freshman year, Mommy and Daddy cut off the checkbook and he went on to graduate with his 2 and 4 year degrees and an MBA all on his own dime. $73K in student loan debt. Ouch!

Congrats to your kids for sticking it out and completing their college education! Sounds like you had a great plan. The subject came up for us because my son was 18 and preparing for college when we were getting divorced

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Congrats to your kids for sticking it out and completing their college education! Sounds like you had a great plan. The subject came up for us because my son was 18 and preparing for college when we were getting divorced
None of my business, but did you have him together, divorcing after like 20 years of marriage ?