Need advice.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Some of you may know this issue and I haven't spoken about it but I will go ahead and see what you guys think about it and what we should or can do. So last year a lot of part time employees went into feeders. We started out making 28 dollars an hour. They said it was a mistake So they bumped the part timers down to 18.75. This includes, part timers who were in package and regular part timers. I believe the argument was that the part time cover drivers were making 28 already and got bumped down to 18.75, but they were basing it off their actual part time rate.

We file on it, time goes by. In January they came up with a solution. They printed off the solution and posted it on board at work. So it clearly states Cover drivers, full time drivers, and part time to feeders, will get 85% of top out. In Feb it was "finalized".

So we waited and waited and nothing happened. Well I hear last week that it was in dead lock. How it is in dead lock after it is finalized is beyond me. So this week everyone got their bump back to 28 dollars an hour except for the part time to feeder group. It was posted up there since Feb that regular part time employees to feeders would get 85%. Even word through the stewards part time employees were going to get it as well as the ex part time cover drivers. Yet they decided to cut us out at the last minute.

I don't see how they can change the rules for one set of part time employees and not for another. 28 dollars was not their part time pay, it was their cover driver pay. This isn't even about them getting the bump, this is about us not getting it. We do the same job, whats right is right. You can't tell us for months that everyone is getting it, post it up, then at the last second take it away. It clearly stated in the contract part time to feeders 18.75. So that included all part time employees. I don't care what anyone says but what's right is right. I shouldn't have someone 30 spots below me making 10 dollars more then me. We should all be on equal ground.

A couple of buddies and myself are going to the Union hall tomorrow to let them know how we feel. Is there anything we can do to really show them we are not playing anymore? Can I go above the local presidents head? The guy has been a disaster, and nothing but a pain in my ass since going into feeders. He acts like he doesn't get voted in or something. After how he handled this fiasco UPS is not going to vote for him again. Don't get me wrong I love the job, but this :censored2: has been going on since May of 14 and I've hit my tipping point. I'm also not right off the street who needs to "earn" my stripes. And please serious advice or answers. I really don't want a side tracked thread with smart remarks.

upschuck

I skimmed this but let me see if I got this right.

PT to feeder $18.75
PT to TCD to feeders $28?

If that is right, then they get red circled at their current driving rate, and since you passed up the opportunity to TCD, you get bumped up to starting feeder rate.

PT to feeder $18.75

If that is right, then they get red circled at their current driving rate, and since you passed up the opportunity to TCD, you get bumped up to starting feeder rate.
What Chuck said.

greengrenades

PT to feeder $18.75

That was not in the language. I'm also above starting feeder rate. This applies to TCD drivers who were in progression.

I really hope you're not saying be grateful you are full time. And I also hope you aren't a union steward, because that is literally the worst thing you could ever say to someone.
I was just congratulating you on becoming full time. You obviously have some issues after reading some of your posts in the past. I was congratulating you on your change of life career and good fortune.

wage EARNER

In many locals, many of it's members are used like poker chips by their BA. If you are not friends with your BA or president, then your contract is written in pencil. If you believe your local has applied a double standard to you, submit a complaint to the National Labor Relations Board. I've never done this myself, so I don't know what type of complaints the NLRB will entertain.

greengrenades

I was just congratulating you on becoming full time. You obviously have some issues after reading some of your posts in the past. I was congratulating you on your change of life career and good fortune.
Well I appreciate it, but what do you mean by issues?

greengrenades

In many locals, many of it's members are used like poker chips by their BA. If you are not friends with your BA or president, then your contract is written in pencil. If you believe your local has applied a double standard to you, submit a complaint to the National Labor Relations Board. I've never done this myself, so I don't know what type of complaints the NLRB will entertain.
Do you know the best way to go about doing this? there is a union meeting Sunday at 2 and we are going up there.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
whatever you were making before you should have been red circled at. I am red circled to my PT inside wage.
The only way you are going to be satisfied is by reading the contract and see how it applies to your situation. Not what was told to you.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
whatever you were making before you should have been red circled at. I am red circled to my PT inside wage.
The only way you are going to be satisfied is by reading the contract and see how it applies to your situation. Not what was told to you.

What silence said.

If you are making more than $18.75, you will be red circled at your rate of pay until such time as the full time progression wage rate catches up to you.

Who supposedly signed this $28/hr deal that you said was posted?

If it is deadlocked, it does not sound like the company and union agreed to it.

Inthegame

In many locals, many of it's members are used like poker chips by their BA.
Can you name a few of the "many" locals you speak of with actual examples? I didn't think so...
If you believe your local has applied a double standard to you, submit a complaint to the National Labor Relations Board.
And they will quickly tell you to produce some factual evidence, not anecdotal generalities.
I've never done this myself, so I don't know what type of complaints the NLRB will entertain.
Attaboy, don't you let inexperience and ignorance get in your way when giving advice.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The other issue is that the contract does not state part time to feeders $18.75

It states that if your rate is above $18.75, you will be red circled at your rate of pay until the full time progression catches up to you.

These TCD drivers you spoke of had a rate of pay of $28/hr while covering jobs.

They will be red circled at $28/hr until the progression catches up to them.

You never went TCD. You never had a rate of $28/hr.

Your only hope is the "posted" agreement if it was agreed to by the union and company.

Even if it was agreed to, if was an agreement done in error, the international has the power to reverse it.

Why do you say that? I haven't shown any sort of behavior for you to claim this. I'm having a discussion.
This post below right off th top of my head.
I really hope you're not saying be grateful you are full time. And I also hope you aren't a union steward, because that is literally the worst thing you could ever say to someone.
I've seen a couple other ones that I can't quote right now because I don't remember but they were a little off. Anyway I hope you have a long happy safe career at United Parcel Service.