need an answer.

542thruNthru

sorry to ask this i would normally be able to answer it myself but i don't have my book with me. I am a full-time driver and have worked all week. Can they force me to come in saturday? also I was just told this at 12:18pm.

Just a little background im in California. I dont know if its different in other areas.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you have enough hours available they can force you to work Sat (force from the bottom seniority up). If you are high seniority or almost up to 60 hours then you wouldn't work but low seniority with hours available you will probably have to work.

542thruNthru

thanks for the reply. I thought I read a few years back that they have to give you 48 hours notice. I don't mind the work but I have a personal thing I had to deal with saturday. I wonder what kind of action they could take if I some how took sick. also can i demand 8 hours?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

thanks for the reply. I thought I read a few years back that they have to give you 48 hours notice. I don't mind the work but I have a personal thing I had to deal with saturday. I wonder what kind of action they could take if I some how took sick. also can i demand 8 hours?

On the one hand you are wondering if you can fake an illness to get out of work and on the other you are asking for your daily guarantee.

We are supposed to be given 3 days notice on a start time change of one hour or greater.

This is Peak----it sounds to me like your mgt team didn't get the word until this morning hence the short notice.

PT Car Washer

We had a driver that took last Friday off because of a personal issue. Be upfront with your management team and give them a chance to do the right thing. If that doesn't work take it to your Business Agent. Better be something real important.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We had a driver that took last Friday off because of a personal issue. Be upfront with your management team and give them a chance to do the right thing. If that doesn't work take it to your Business Agent. Better be something real important.
Honestly I have come to find out after 15 years being upfront and honest with management when needing a day off more times than not just ends up biting u in the behind. I suggest calling in at least an hour before start time and taking yourself out of service.

Ouch

On the one hand you are wondering if an fake an illness to get out of work and on the other you are asking for your daily guarantee.

We are supposed to be given 3 days notice on a start time change of one hour or greater.

This is Peak----it sounds to me like your mgt team didn't get the word until this morning hence the short notice.
So you honestly think they just realized they were going to need to work on Saturday. Peak doesn't justify piss poor planning by management. Ups has had alot of peak seasons. Enough to where they could at least fake it and act like they know whats going on.

542thruNthru

Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to move things around so that I could help on Saturday. I did inform my center manager that I was willing to help him out this time but next time he needs to give me more notice. I have a feeling that next Friday he is going to try it again. To bad for him that I have a sore throat and probably will be out of commission next Saturday.

Also UpState you were wrong. My mgt team knew the beginning of the week. It was because of them using Air drivers all week to shuttle and deliver ground that they all ran out of hours.

Also I asked about my 8 hour guarantee because if I am going to be forced to work I want to make sure it is worth it.

PT Car Washer

We had to use a couple Package Car Drivers today for Saturday Air as several PTers ran out of hours to drive. Even then the FTers only had a few hours to work. Wait until next Saturday.

Ouch

Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to move things around so that I could help on Saturday. I did inform my center manager that I was willing to help him out this time but next time he needs to give me more notice. I have a feeling that next Friday he is going to try it again. To bad for him that I have a sore throat and probably will be out of commission next Saturday.

Also UpState you were wrong. My mgt team knew the beginning of the week. It was because of them using Air drivers all week to shuttle and deliver ground that they all ran out of hours.

Also I asked about my 8 hour guarantee because if I am going to be forced to work I want to make sure it is worth it.
You can request 8 hours in writing and if you have the seniority you will have a great pay day.

barnyard

KTM rider
Wait until next Saturday.

I am concerned about next Saturday. Our center is cleaned up. I believe that the double tsunami of regular peak, plus Texas loads hitting our area is going to make Tuesday and the rest of the week horrible.

I am guessing that Monday will be a good day, followed by curfews the rest of the week to give us enough hours to put in 6 on Saturday.

Sigh.

Squint

No more work for me!

Imagine that, UpsUpstate being wrong!

cb1969

No they can not force you to work a sixth day they have to give you 2 days off...nor can they not work you one day mon-fri and force you to work sat either...grab a shop steward and tell your sup or center manager you will not be there on sat...

cb1969

any day they work you, you tell them you want your 8 hours and they have to give it to you...just make sure you stay all 8 because they will change your code and you would have to file...from experience your BA may not argue it for you....