Need help/information re death of a UPSer

I'm the mother of a UPS employee. My son was 29 and worked at the airhub in Louisville. He started in Roswell GA eight years ago. My son passed away in August. It is my understanding that regardless of how he filled his paperwork out in Roswell, if he didn't file new paperwork in L'ville at that union, the old paperwork is void. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone know if there is a way to get a copy from the Roswell GA employment records/insurance documents? What has come into question is his life insurance beneficiaries. He designated in Roswell, but we are being told he had to redo that when he transferred.

I guess one of my questions is this, do all UPS employees have the same life insurance regardless of where they are located to work? Or are there different policies at different locations?

Our family is devastated over his death, he was our heart. He loved UPS and had been with them since he was 21, on mid-nights. He had worked his way up to a hazardous materials handler and was very proud of this job. The hardest part of this life insurance issue is, it appears his biological father, who abandoned him completely when he was four years old, who did not attend his funeral, who has not seen his son in 25 years, well it appears he is going to profit from his death. I know my son set his beneficiaries in Roswell when he first went to work for UPS, but now it seems his transfer makes that null and void.

Does anyone know for sure if this is correct? I have an appeal right and am working on it, but honestly don't know how to find out information or options. Any help at all is deeply appreciated.

KKM

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am also very sorry for your loss.

I am fairly certain that you do not have to redesignate if you transfer.

Call 1-800-742-5877 and ask them for the number to HR. You will need either his employee ID or SSN.

Not sure how much the part timers get.
I'm full time and we get 2080hours times our hourly rate. I would imagine part time is about half of that.

If I find out the correct answer I will post it

Sorry for your loss

35years

Gravy route
Would the life insurance be a benefit administered by the union?
If so, would she be better served contacting either/both of the locals?

As far as I know, it is a company benefit, not Union. My paperwork doesn't indicate it is state-specific.
It is for basic life ins and employee paid supplemental.
The mailing address is:
UPS Benefits Service Center
100 Half Day Rd
Lincolnshire, IL 60069-3258

Thank you all very much for your help. I just got off the phone with the UPS Benefit Center, and the lady I spoke with was helpful and very kind. It does appear his life insurance beneficiaries are null and void at this time. BUT....not because of the transfer he made from Roswell to L'ville. Instead it is due to the new contract UPS made with the Union in 2014. Employees were supposed to redesignate their beneficiaries under the new contract. Sadly, he did not designate at that time.

Thank you all for your assistance and kind words. I hope our loss and need for information helps others along the way somehow.

Warm regards,
KKM

Nimnim

The Nim
Sorry for your loss, but I do thank you for this information. I don't know if I updated my information with the new contract so I'll be checking on that.

Thank you all very much for your help. I just got off the phone with the UPS Benefit Center, and the lady I spoke with was helpful and very kind. It does appear his life insurance beneficiaries are null and void at this time. BUT....not because of the transfer he made from Roswell to L'ville. Instead it is due to the new contract UPS made with the Union in 2014. Employees were supposed to redesignate their beneficiaries under the new contract. Sadly, he did not designate at that time.

Thank you all for your assistance and kind words. I hope our loss and need for information helps others along the way somehow.

Warm regards,
KKM
I just called and was told that my Beneficiary Designation is the same as before the contract. Only way to change it is if I changed it. Call them back. Unless your son did not choose a beneficiary in the first place. It was a slightly tedious process of filling out the form with beneficiaries ssn and address.

oldngray

nowhere special
I just called and was told that my Beneficiary Designation is the same as before the contract. Only way to change it is if I changed it. Call them back. Unless your son did not choose a beneficiary in the first place. It was a slightly tedious process of filling out the form with beneficiaries ssn and address.

Agreed. I wouldn't trust the first thing someone from HR tells you. It is definitely something to investigate further.
Sorry for your loss.

Only thing I received after the contract was a list of my dependents for my supplemental benefits through the company and to call if that was not correct. .

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
First of all, very sorry for the loss of your son. You have my condolences.

The life insurance benefit is administered through the union healthcare plan, also known as TeamCare. The benefit is 1040 x hourly wage @ $100,000 max with a minimum payout of $40,000. This is verified through book 1 of the Teamcare UPS Summary Plan Document which I have attached at the bottom of this post.

I don't know if he would have to change beneficiaries upon transfer as he would likely still be enrolled under TeamCare and those documents should still be valid. My assumption would be those documents would carry with him if he was covered under TeamCare while in Roswell.

Your son's local union (while he was working in Louisville) is Teamsters Local 89. Their office number is 502-368-5885 and additional contact for benefits administrators can be found here: Teamsters Local 89. It looks like Local 89 has several full time benefits staffers that they should be able to act as a liaison between you and TeamCare. I would recommend dealing with TeamCare through Local 89 rather than directly.

hkoAP8Y.jpg

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I would think if a beneficiary is not chosen, it would go right to the estate. UPS doesn't gain anything by fighting this, since it isn't their money. It is administered by the local union.

Sorry for your loss

I would think if a beneficiary is not chosen, it would go right to the estate. UPS doesn't gain anything by fighting this, since it isn't their money. It is administered by the local union.

Sorry for your loss
In order:
Surviving spouse
Equal shares to surviving children
Equal shares to surviving parents
Equal/ siblings
Estate
Team care Summary Central States page 39

I am sorry, deadbeat dad might receive something from this terrible tragedy.
I'm sure your son would want you to just remember loving him, and not to hold on to any bitterness. Hugs.