Need help with noisy neighbors...

Rack em

Made the Podium
I live in an apartment and the people that live above me are seriously 24/7 awake and making noise. Sometimes it sounds like they are dropping bowling balls on the floor. I have talked to them about it a few times in the past which did next to nothing, so I've just kind of dealt with it until last night.

I was woken up at 4am to loud noises coming from above me. So I did the classic pound on the ceiling with a broom handle and that didn't do anything. So at about 4:45am I called the cops and made a noise complaint. They showed up in about 10 minutes and knocked on their door and the people wouldn't answer the door. So they came down to talk to me and told me there wasn't anything else they can do at that point and I needed to talk to my landlord. So I was kept awake from 4am until now currently! I called my landlord as soon as it was 8am and told him what happened and he said he would "talk to them" but he also told me the cops could have issued them a $300 fine?

Either way, they are STILL making constant noise, and I am not talking about little noises like foot steps, I'm talking about deliberate noises. So once 10pm hits tonight I am going to just call the cops again if they are still being loud which I'm sure they will be, but I'm just afraid I'll get the same "There's nothing we can do response" and I'll be kept awake again.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to handle this situation to get them to stop making my life miserable? I know some people will say to move, but being an on call driver I cannot afford to move at this time. I have only been working 3 days a week if I'm lucky, so money is super tight.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Since you called the cops they are seeking revenge. This wont end well
Well if it come down to it I will take them and/or my landlord to court if I have to for violating my right to quiet enjoyment, but I'd rather not go through all that

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Unless the landlord or cops can do something you're pretty much friend*ed. I've never had this problem at my current place but at one I stayed at a long time ago I did. The best solution I could come up with was white noise. I'd run loud fans or something at night and it would filter out most crap.